Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2008, 02:23 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Where to get Domke-style insert?

I'd like to find a domke-style insert... sort of like a cube with one face open, simply to protect the camera when carrying it in my backpack while hiking. My regular bag really isn't made for hikes.I have cases to protect any lens I want to carry, but nothing for the camera itself. I suppose I could get a cheap and simple holster bag and cut the top off, but that's likely to be as expensive as a Domke insert.

I'm convinced someone, somewhere, is selling simple inserts. All I need is padding on four sides and bottom, after all, nothing fancier.

10-03-2008, 04:23 PM   #2
Veteran Member

B&H has both Domke and Billingham inserts:
Inserts | B&H Photo Video
Superflex Partitions & Other Inserts | B&H Photo Video

HTH,
Heather
10-04-2008, 07:06 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks, Heather. I was looking for something a bit less expensive, as I don't need an "official brand" product.

I'll keep looking around. One eBay seller offers Domke bags too, but that's all I found so far.
10-04-2008, 09:09 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If you are patient you will be able to pick up a Domke bag with an insert, for the price of the insert on ebay. I have been doing quite nicely that way.

10-04-2008, 09:52 PM   #5
Damn Brit

What about those small cooler bags you can buy that are just big enough for a sandwich and a drink. They are pretty cheap in supermarkets and drug stores.
Failing that, find a piece of foam and cut out the shape of the camera, even cheaper.
10-05-2008, 03:52 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
What about those small cooler bags you can buy that are just big enough for a sandwich and a drink. They are pretty cheap in supermarkets and drug stores.
Failing that, find a piece of foam and cut out the shape of the camera, even cheaper.
Excellent suggestions - there's no reason to only look and pay for 'photographic' stuff.

Myself, for my work backpack, I took the insides of an old used camera bag out and stuffed it into the bottom of the backpack. Works ok. Yard sales, goodwill, and even little camera stores may have such for less dollars than you have fingers, even in one hand, even if you've had an industrial accident...
10-05-2008, 07:23 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Good ideas guys. I agree that cutting out a foam piece, finding a cheap camera bag, and using a lunch box are all excellent ideas. I think I'll look into this. Probably the cgeap camera bag is the best option, finding one without side pockets and removing the lid should do the trick.

Jimpurcell, I have never seen Domke bags go cheap. The ones I've seen are more than a hundred dollars, usually. There are imitations on eBay, and I even contacted one such seller to know if he was willing to sell the inserts alone, but got a negative answer. The actual Domke inserts sell for quite a bunch when you take into account the shipping charges.

I will tour the local stores around here and see what I can find.

11-09-2008, 08:22 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RoyArtelo Quote
Do you think that Obama is going to win because the Republicans have such a bad candidate?
Why did John McCain make his final argument against Obama... coal?
That's his closing argument? William Ayers, Rev. Wright, spreading the wealth, Born Alive, meeting dictators without preconditions, etc. all have to take a back seat so that McCain can go to Colorado and New Mexico to talk about coal? Does this more or less explain why he's going to get his clock cleaned Tuesday?
But will Obama or McCain tell me where to get a Domke insert?
11-09-2008, 04:44 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Try e-mailing Canadian ebay seller Chambrenoirecan.

I've used them a few times and they are 100% reliable and well priced. If they don't list the Domke product you want they will quote you a price for it.