Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2019, 06:54 PM   #1

lens hood part

Greetings,
I have a lens hood for a 14mm pentax lens...there is a small piece of plastic that can be removed from the hood...I've never been certain what the purpose is...at any rate, after taking some photos the other day I noticed the piece was missing. so, 2 things, 1, I assume I can just place some black tape over the opening and be ok, and 2, if the part is essential does anyone have any idea what is it called and how I can get one without having to buy the whole hood.
thanks
tom

03-28-2019, 07:32 PM - 1 Like   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
that tiny window is there so you can rotate a polarizing filter (if you are using one) on the camera, without having to take the hood off to do it...

good luck finding that piece for sale by itself - you may have an easier time buying a knock-off hood from eBay...
03-28-2019, 07:55 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Never been able to find those little doors but gaffers or electrical tape works.
03-29-2019, 06:03 AM - 1 Like   #4
Unregistered User

It really isn't necessary unless there's a light source in the direction of the CP rotation port that might cause ill effects, e.g., if you're shooting upside down on a sunny day. Half the time, I find I don't need a hood at all.

You can get aftermarket hoods that don't have that "window" pretty cheaply, too, I think.

03-29-2019, 06:37 AM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
. . . gaffers or electrical tape works.
go with the tape option if you find you need to close the gap

gaffer tape is rumored to leave no residue if removed

I among those who don't worry about it if it is missing
03-29-2019, 06:58 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
go with the tape option if you find you need to close the gap

gaffer tape is rumored to leave no residue if removed

I among those who don't worry about it if it is missing
That's why we use gaffers instead of other tape, little to no residue. I typically tape my little window covers in place so I don't loose them.
03-29-2019, 08:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I have a lens that came to me with that little cover missing from its hood. I eventually bought a JJC knockoff that was so accurate that the cover fit perfectly on the Pentax hood. I eventually let the JJC hood go with another lens, sans the little cover.

03-30-2019, 04:15 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by E-man Quote
I have a lens that came to me with that little cover missing from its hood. I eventually bought a JJC knockoff that was so accurate that the cover fit perfectly on the Pentax hood. I eventually let the JJC hood go with another lens, sans the little cover.
If I remember right the 55-300 hood was identical across Pentax and JJC. I seem to recall that being discussed several years ago.