Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
03-30-2019, 03:49 PM   #1

LowePro ProTactic 350 AW vs 450 AW?

I have a K-3 with a 55-300 with hood attached and a K-3 with a 18-55 with a hood attached.

What bag will be most ideal for this setup (plus some other bit and pieces inc radio). I do like a smaller bag as it makes for city work easier / more discrete but I really like to keep the hoods on. Would they both fit in a 350 without hoods attached?

The 450 is current 70% more expensive over the 350 but even though it's larger, would it be more ideal for my two camera setups?

If anyone has these bag with a similar setup, could you be so kind as to post photos on them so I can get an idea of realistically how much space I will have to play with.

Thanks.

03-30-2019, 04:58 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
03-30-2019, 06:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

450 is huge inside, will acccommodate almost anything. Pentax k1 with several lenses of any size (those are a couple of 645 lenses in the shot), filters, chargers, flash units. Only problem is flying overseas. Filled up it is overweight for carry on. Otherwise comfortable and very well built.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6s  Photo 
03-30-2019, 06:48 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I also use a vanguard 42. Will hold k1 with lens attached, 2 extra lenses, flash , couple of filters, and battery chargers. Nicely made, compact enough to fit under seat of plane, unlike 450.

Hope that helps.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6s  Photo 
03-30-2019, 07:05 PM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

if the OP hasn't found it yet

there are reviews of various back packs on the forum

Backpacks - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

this is the pack I use when I want to carry a lot of gear:

Ruggard Thunderhead 75 DSLR & Laptop Backpack

size:
exterior: 13.0 x 9.25 x 20.5"
interior: 12.0 x 6.5 x 19.5"
_______

5-year warranty

padded shoulder straps and waist strap, sternum strap and load lifters for shoulder straps
good buckles and zippers

IMGP0780a1a.jpg - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

" Ruggard PBB-275B OVERVIEW
Ideal for traveling and hiking, this black, water-repellent Thunderhead 75 DSLR & Laptop Backpack from Ruggard holds a DSLR with a grip and an attached zoom telephoto lens up to 10", 8 more lenses, and a flash between padded touch-fastened dividers inside a spacious main compartment. This bag is packed with pockets of all sizes, and one of them is a dedicated compartment which will hold most 17" laptops. Additionally, there is a side attachment for securely storing your tripod.

The front of the backpack features small, medium, and large pockets and the main zippered compartment, which unzips all the way down providing full front access to your gear. Each side of the backpack provides a mesh slip pocket with a drawstring closure and the base has a zippered pocket, which stores a removable rain cover.

At the back behind the laptop compartment, there is a contoured breathable mesh padded panel and shoulder harness. The harness features sternum and padded hide-away waist straps for additional support as well as a trolley sleeve for attaching the backpack to your luggage. For quickly grabbing the backpack, the top features a sturdy and comfortably padded grip handle. "

https://www.ruggard.com/product/5855/Ruggard-PBB_275B-Thunderhead-75-DSLR-&-...ackpack-(Black)

I found it on sale.

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-30-2019 at 07:14 PM.
03-31-2019, 05:09 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've spent the last few days poring over specifications of these and similar bags. The Lowepro ProTactic 350 AW II was out immediately, since it cannot accomodate a 15" laptop (my MacBook Pro). I also looked at the Manfrotto Bumblebee 130 and 230 (no side access) and Redbee 310 (inferior back padding and hip sash).

The Lowepro 450 AW II was on my list for a long time, but ultimately I crossed it out because: too big for cabin luggage, won't stand upright, very limited external pockets for anything beyond a passport and a wallet, it looks stupid.

I find myself about to order the Tenba Axis 24L, which is MOLLE like the Lowepro, but has a decent front pouch that can even hold a light rain jacket, as well as other odds and ends. Like the 450AW, it has a good waist strap, which is removable, and side, top, and back access. However, unlike the 450, it will fit as cabin luggage.

The Ruggard Thunderhead 75 DSLR doesn't fit my requirement for side access.

Last edited by Paul the Sunman; 03-31-2019 at 04:25 PM.
03-31-2019, 05:16 AM   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

sorry I missed the wish for side entry otherwise, I would not have mentioned the Ruggard

sounds like you are making the right choice

please consider helping others by posting a review or adding to any review of the back pack you choose

03-31-2019, 07:51 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You might want to consider the Peak Design Everyday Backpack 30L. It is a bit pricey, but it would easily hold two cameras with lenses as you described. It has a really nice set up for side access with a quick release function on the shoulder straps that lengthen one side to allow you to swing the back around to your front to access the bag from either side. I have the 450 AW and rarely use it because it is too bulky for me. Another side benefit to the PD is the material is water resistant. Their website has some good videos on how it works.

Everyday Backpack 20L & 30L | Peak Design Official Site
04-01-2019, 06:48 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

My Tenba Axis Tactical 24L just arrived! It stands upright (unlike the Lowepro 450 ProTactic AW II). Here it is with a pretty hefty FF kit for an upcoming trip to Tenerife and Czech Republic. Tight, but workable. The layout shown is not the default; I configured it this way to fit the 150-450. Three partitions have been removed.

K1+DFA 28-105, DFA 150-450, DFA 15-30, DFA* 50, Tamron 90 macro; Pentax AF360FGZ II; Bose noise cancelling headphones; rain cover; AA batteries for flash; 15" MacBook Pro. Actually, I'll never be carrying all those things at once, but it can do it.

... or even more stuff in an alternate configuration

And finally, a two-camera APS-C kit with 9 lenses, a flash, and plenty of room to spare

Last edited by Paul the Sunman; 04-01-2019 at 08:35 PM.
04-01-2019, 10:58 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CoolMan8 Quote
I have a K-3 with a 55-300 with hood attached and a K-3 with a 18-55 with a hood attached.

What bag will be most ideal for this setup (plus some other bit and pieces inc radio). I do like a smaller bag as it makes for city work easier / more discrete but I really like to keep the hoods on. Would they both fit in a 350 without hoods attached?

The 450 is current 70% more expensive over the 350 but even though it's larger, would it be more ideal for my two camera setups?

If anyone has these bag with a similar setup, could you be so kind as to post photos on them so I can get an idea of realistically how much space I will have to play with.

Thanks.
I think it will fit the cameras with lenses attached, as they are not the biggest lenses. But if you want to be sure, then the 450 will fit it for sure. But to be sure, find a store and try them
04-02-2019, 04:10 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What you need to decide is whether this is to be used to go from point A to B and pack everything you are going to possibly need (I.e. Everything you own) or something to carry a subset for actually working.

I find big bags are good for the former, but questionable about the latter.

I have 3 lowepro bags (I will be selling one shortly). The one most often used is the smallest, but , at that, it can hold 2 bodies, one with a sigma 10-20 attached, the other with a tamron 28-75/2.8 attached, plus either my sigma 70-200/2.8 and a 2x converter, or my K300/4 plus 1.7x AF adaptor.

That has it full, but the body of the pack is so small that the straps really suck. Although the bag is perhaps only12-14 inches high, and about 9-10 inches wide, it , when loaded is uncomfortable.

I have a larger computrekker bag, that can hold perhaps a 15 inch laptop, as well as being about 4 inches taller, but that bag with the laptop, pushes the camera equipment 2 inches away from your back, and makes balance difficult, and if you don't take the computer, it really screws up the balance because the camera gear seems to just flop around because there is an empty void between it and your back.

Neither of these bags have a real harness just straps sewn into the body of the bag, and as a result, to have the chest strap closed, the body of the pack is up at shoulder level, not putting the weight on your hips, (the waist strap is under your breastbone) if you put the straps such that the weight is on your hips properly, the chest strap is literally around your neck, and the padding on your shoulder straps is in the middle of your back. Note this is not a complaint from a big person, I am in the range of 5'8" tall, with a relatively short body core.

My largest bag has a main body more than 24 inches long, it is an old phototrekker pro (I think it is called) but even fully loaded, is the most comfortable, because it is the only bag which has a proper harness. Note this bag is large enough to hold a tamron 200-500/5.6 zoom attached to a camera body, down the middle. The harness is linked to the bag at the level of the waist strap, and can be lengthened or shortened to have the shoulder and chest straps placed correctly and comfortable.

If you are truly going to get a bag that can be loaded to capacity, with 2 bodies, 3-4 fast lenses, flash, batteries etc, you are discussing in the range of 10-15 kilos (20-30 pounds roughly) If you intend to carry this for an entire day, forget being compact, forget being cheap, get a bag with proper straps,

you will spend the difference on pain killers any way
04-02-2019, 04:36 AM   #12
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
What you need to decide is whether this is to be used to go from point A to B and pack everything you are going to possibly need (I.e. Everything you own) or something to carry a subset for actually working.

I find big bags are good for the former, but questionable about the latter.. . .

If you are truly going to get a bag that can be loaded to capacity, with 2 bodies, 3-4 fast lenses, flash, batteries etc, you are discussing in the range of 10-15 kilos (20-30 pounds roughly) If you intend to carry this for an entire day, forget being compact, forget being cheap, get a bag with proper straps, . . .
I agree 100 %

am I traveling by plane or car - the bag I take depends on that

if by car, am I going to leave equipment hidden in car, temperature permitting, and only take some on short walks or do I carry all

what do I expect to use on my " photography excursion " ?

what is permitted if I enter any facility/building ?

if so, where would I keep any prohibited items safely outside the facility/building

I once tried to enter a museum in Washington DC through metal detectors and realized that my expensive brand new multitool was prohibited because it has a small knife blade. I hid it in a planter outside and it was still there when I exited.

I got lucky

admittedly I am no expert but when ever I buy a back pack I first look for features that makes the pack useful for carrying any type of load such as

(1) waist straps: I was taught that the majority of a backpack's weight, 80 percent or more, should be supported by your hips.;

(2) Load Lifter Straps: These are stitched into the top of the shoulder straps, and they connect to the top of the pack frame. Ideally, they will form a 45° angle between your shoulder straps and the pack. Kept snug (but not too tight), they prevent the upper portion of a pack from pulling away from your body, which would cause the pack to sag on your lumbar region and

(3) Sternum Strap: This mid-chest strap allows you to connect your shoulder straps, which can boost your stability. It can be useful to do so when traveling on uneven cross-country terrain where an awkward move could cause your pack to shift abruptly and throw you off-balance.

(4) good buckles and zippers

then I look for special features for the expected use of the back pack:

does the interior has the loop and hook dividers so you can personalize the interior as you choose,

multiple external attachment points and pockets,

a " rain " cover,

a separate padded section for a lap top and

how you can access the interior of the back pack

then I decide whether any or all of those are required by my needs.

I currently have 3 back packs and a " messenger " bag that I will use depending on my needs

Last edited by aslyfox; 04-02-2019 at 04:48 AM.
04-02-2019, 05:03 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I'll throw a curveball...I don't like either of the bags you're looking for. Lowepro makes quality bags, but so far they've rarely managed to make camera access when wearing the bag easy and fast. They're not alone, not many manufacturers have managed this.

I really, really like the Mindshift Gear rotation180 solution. I've never used a bag that's as convenient in use, for actually accessing the gear. I use the Horizon, whose camera compartment would hold two K-3 with no problem. I usually couple it with a Peak Design Capture Clip and it works beautifully. I recommend you take a look into this. Otherwise plan on putting the bag down to access your gear.
04-02-2019, 05:55 AM   #14
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks.
Consider a Lowpro fastback BP 150 AW II

First which 18-55

Diam x Length
68 x 67.5 mm (2.7 x 2.7 in.)

Read more at: SMC Pentax-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

im my lowpro fastback BP 150 AW II

I have in the top pocket a K 3 + DA 16-85

Diam x Length
78 x 94 mm (3.1 x 3.7 in.)

Read more at: HD Pentax-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

in the side opening pocket I can put a K 3 II + HD DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 WR PLM

Diam x Length
76.5 x 89 mm (3.01 x 3.5 in.)

Read more at: HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

with additional storage areas

" Product Highlights
Holds DSLR with Attached Lens & 2 Lenses
Zippered Pocket for 11" Laptop & Tablet
Left, Top & Front Access to Gear
Padded Touch-Fastened Interior Dividers
Top Storage Compartment with Pockets
Removable Padded Waistbelt
Side Pocket for Water Bottle or Tripod
Straps for Securing to a Trolley Handle
Built-In Rain Cover & Key Lanyard "

Lowepro Fastpack BP 150 AW II (Black) LP36870 B&H Photo Video

images

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1119687-REG/lowepro_lp36870_fastpack_...0081b7870b6c87

similar in design as this but larger and improved:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/accessoryreviews/lowepro-fastpack-100.html

Last edited by aslyfox; 04-02-2019 at 06:08 AM.
04-02-2019, 06:30 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Veteran Member

This is why many of us own too many bags. Lots of good ideas but until you use them you just can't know.