Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
04-07-2019, 02:58 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The K-1 uses a wired remote similar to the one I use on my K-3.

Bower LCD Timer and Remote Shutter Release (Model RCLC1R) reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

The KP has requirements similar to the K-70 (multiple articles on this site). An appropriate converter may be applied to the above unit to allow it to work with both cameras.

Steve
Digging around my father's old stuff and I found what appears to be an unbranded remote just like what you show, it's identical except for the 'Bower' brand print.

It terminates with a 2.5mm female, I don't seem to have the original cable to connect to the K-1, I used a few adapters and what not and eventually docked into the k-1 successfully however I can only fire the shutter, half press AF is not working, is there something I'm missing?

Basically, pretend all of my cables are not compatible, if I want 5m cables to work from this remote for the K-1 and KP, which ones do I need? Does it matter if some are stereo, mono, three and four connections?

QuoteOriginally posted by Riggomatic Quote
There's this option:

amazon.com : Pixel 2.4GHz Digital Wireless Remote Shutter Release E3 for Canon, Pentax, Samsung, Contax, Sigma and Hassleblad Cameras, Replaces Canon RS-60E3 : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&

You half press the button to focus, full press for shutter, but you need to enable half press shutter release on the camera for the focus to work from the remote.

Receiver can hang from the cable if you are using an external flash, or clamp to the hot shoe if not in use.

You can buy a longer cable, and use the button on the receiver to actuate focus and shutter.

It doesn't require line of site to the camera, and has a decent range.

I use mine on the K-5.
How do you do that? This might be what is stopping me from using Stevebrots remote with AF...

I like the idea of this, because then we could do more family selfies in bright conditions more successfully (without a cable leading to the group of people).

I do however need this remote quickly, the Amazon link you show would take too long.

Do you think this would work? Vello FreeWave Wireless Remote Shutter Release Kit RW-O2K B&H

It's quite a bit more expensive, however it should arrive in time. I'm thinking it's different in that it's Radio Frequency rather than digital wireless, which is better?

EDIT: PS, one of the reasons I need a proper remote and not the Image Sync app is that I don't think I can get it to do Face Detection AF. Face Detection is excellent, and in a group setting stopped down it doesn't matter which face it singles out really, the ONLY gripe I have with the IR remote I already have is in bright conditions it just can't see the signal well enough. That's why I just want AF and shutter really, set the camera up for Face Detection in Live View, get in a group, focus (hear the focus confirmation), stay still and take the shot (even use a 3 sec delay etc to remove the remote out of the way). It's how I took this family shot;

No idea whose face Face Detection chose, but it doesn't matter as it's stopped down enough. I simply want this but to work in sunny outdoor Australia (and using flashes as well).

04-07-2019, 04:18 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Digging around my father's old stuff and I found what appears to be an unbranded remote just like what you show, it's identical except for the 'Bower' brand print.

It terminates with a 2.5mm female, I don't seem to have the original cable to connect to the K-1, I used a few adapters and what not and eventually docked into the k-1 successfully however I can only fire the shutter, half press AF is not working, is there something I'm missing?

Basically, pretend all of my cables are not compatible, if I want 5m cables to work from this remote for the K-1 and KP, which ones do I need? Does it matter if some are stereo, mono, three and four connections?

How do you do that? This might be what is stopping me from using Stevebrots remote with AF...

I like the idea of this, because then we could do more family selfies in bright conditions more successfully (without a cable leading to the group of people).

I do however need this remote quickly, the Amazon link you show would take too long.

Do you think this would work? Vello FreeWave Wireless Remote Shutter Release Kit RW-O2K B&H

It's quite a bit more expensive, however it should arrive in time. I'm thinking it's different in that it's Radio Frequency rather than digital wireless, which is better?

EDIT: PS, one of the reasons I need a proper remote and not the Image Sync app is that I don't think I can get it to do Face Detection AF. Face Detection is excellent, and in a group setting stopped down it doesn't matter which face it singles out really, the ONLY gripe I have with the IR remote I already have is in bright conditions it just can't see the signal well enough. That's why I just want AF and shutter really, set the camera up for Face Detection in Live View, get in a group, focus (hear the focus confirmation), stay still and take the shot (even use a 3 sec delay etc to remove the remote out of the way). It's how I took this family shot;

No idea whose face Face Detection chose, but it doesn't matter as it's stopped down enough. I simply want this but to work in sunny outdoor Australia (and using flashes as well).
I'd say they are probably made in the same factory somewhere...

The Pixel is RF as well, looks like the marketing dept wanted it to sound fancy calling it digital wireless.
The one you referenced looks a lot more advanced, but looks like it does the same thing.

I got mine for the same reason. Doing family photos, and having a hard time with the IR remote.

I'm not sure if the KP and K-1 will act the same as the K-5, but I use the back focus button 99% of the time. I have the 1/2 press focus of the shutter button disabled. Now I have to enable the 1/2 press focus of the shutter button to allow for the Pixel to autofocus.

Looking at the manual for the KP, looks like it is menu C3 item 17
K-1 camera menu 5 AF button.

If you use the shutter button to focus (not back focus button), then you are probably good to go.

I've not tried the face detection of the K-5, maybe I'll give it a go with my remote.

Great job on the family photo BTW.
04-07-2019, 04:29 PM - 2 Likes   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here is a wired remote for the KP on ebay. Price is a little high, but they have a payment plan.
JJC MA-PK1 Remote Shutter for Pentax K-70 KP, replaces PENTAX CS-310 | eBay
04-07-2019, 07:20 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'd say they are probably made in the same factory somewhere...

The Pixel is RF as well, looks like the marketing dept wanted it to sound fancy calling it digital wireless.
The one you referenced looks a lot more advanced, but looks like it does the same thing.

I got mine for the same reason. Doing family photos, and having a hard time with the IR remote.

I'm not sure if the KP and K-1 will act the same as the K-5, but I use the back focus button 99% of the time. I have the 1/2 press focus of the shutter button disabled. Now I have to enable the 1/2 press focus of the shutter button to allow for the Pixel to autofocus.

Looking at the manual for the KP, looks like it is menu C3 item 17
K-1 camera menu 5 AF button.

If you use the shutter button to focus (not back focus button), then you are probably good to go.

I've not tried the face detection of the K-5, maybe I'll give it a go with my remote.

Great job on the family photo BTW.
Cheers,

Yeh I was in a User Mode for back button focus which is why it wasn't working, I toggled to a User Mode where it's standard shutter button and it worked, however it's not very good, what happens is the half press (which is super sensitive on my model) focuses and takes the shot immediately, there is no way to focus and then pause a slight second and then push the shutter button down further to take the shot. Weird... I'm guessing I'm going through too many adapters to the K-1 or something.

Anyway, I like the wireless idea more just because I can also get myself in family shots and not just for testing stuff.

QuoteOriginally posted by Wingincamera Quote
Here is a wired remote for the KP on ebay. Price is a little high, but they have a payment plan.
JJC MA-PK1 Remote Shutter for Pentax K-70 KP, replaces PENTAX CS-310 | eBay
lol... what a shame, 'Does not ship to Australia'. Oh well...

04-07-2019, 07:30 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There's this option:

amazon.com : Pixel 2.4GHz Digital Wireless Remote Shutter Release E3 for Canon, Pentax, Samsung, Contax, Sigma and Hassleblad Cameras, Replaces Canon RS-60E3 : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&

You half press the button to focus, full press for shutter, but you need to enable half press shutter release on the camera for the focus to work from the remote.

Receiver can hang from the cable if you are using an external flash, or clamp to the hot shoe if not in use.

You can buy a longer cable, and use the button on the receiver to actuate focus and shutter.

It doesn't require line of site to the camera, and has a decent range.

I use mine on the K-5.
+1 for the Pixel wireless remote and you can get a different "patch" cord for your KP and it will work on both cameras with just a change of "patch" cords. Great range too.
04-07-2019, 07:55 PM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I shoot with BBF enabled most of the time and setup user modes to use the Pixel wireless remote You can set up a user mode to disable BBF which is what I do when using my Pixel wireless remote. I've got U1 set up to A/F-1 and manual operation, U2 setup to A/F-1 and TAV mode, U3 setup to A/F-1 and Bulb mode.
04-07-2019, 08:21 PM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Ok, I appreciate all the suggestions but I'm seeing pricetags that scare me slightly as well as functionality I doubt I'll ever use.

As you can see, the wireless remote I linked has only two buttons, AF and Shutter, and really that's all I need, just that in a wired format. Surely these can be found for cheap somewhere?

I understand the two cameras (K-1 and KP) need different cables to attach and work, so either I buy one remote and switch cables (or use an adapter if that will work), or I buy two cheap remotes, one for KP and one for K-1.

So what's stopping this controller from working with our cameras?

Vello RS-C1II Wired Remote Switch for Select Cameras RS-C1II B&H

In the pull down menu there are a lot of options, do none of those work with the KP/K1? At that price I could buy two quite easily.
Been using one of those for several years now. The fit my K5, K3 and K1. They were so inexpensive that I got two of them just in case. Still on the first one.

04-07-2019, 09:15 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
+1 for the Pixel wireless remote and you can get a different "patch" cord for your KP and it will work on both cameras with just a change of "patch" cords. Great range too.
Unfortunately I need the remote pronto and the shipping time from Amazon is too long (whereas I reckon the Vello from B&H will come quicker). I have an upcoming wedding, and rather than

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
I shoot with BBF enabled most of the time and setup user modes to use the Pixel wireless remote You can set up a user mode to disable BBF which is what I do when using my Pixel wireless remote. I've got U1 set up to A/F-1 and manual operation, U2 setup to A/F-1 and TAV mode, U3 setup to A/F-1 and Bulb mode.
I do a similar thing, one of my User Modes doesn't use BBF, another one does, depends on what the mode is geared up for etc.

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Been using one of those for several years now. The fit my K5, K3 and K1. They were so inexpensive that I got two of them just in case. Still on the first one.
Wait.. so you use the Vello wireless one? This exact one? Vello FreeWave Wireless Remote Shutter Release Kit RW-O2K B&H

Which option did you choose in the pulldown menu? The 'Canon, Olympus & Pentax' one? I'm just slightly confused because one set of images shows the weird 3 pin canon connection but the other images show what looks like a 3.5mm male to 2.5mm male cable, and I'm guessing if I use my own 3.5mm male to male then that would work with the KP as well as K-1?
04-08-2019, 07:42 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

Wait.. so you use the Vello wireless one? This exact one? Vello FreeWave Wireless Remote Shutter Release Kit RW-O2K B&H
No I only use the Vello wired remote releases. I have no wireless releases other than the Pentax ones and I have never used them. So far, my only use for the wired Vello releases is when I have the camera mounted on a tripod with a long lens on it. Never used a wireless remote release. Them things is for you young whippersnappers. I am having a hard enough time transitioning form film to digital to stretch that far.
04-08-2019, 01:36 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Has anyone used this remote then at all, can they confirm it can work with both the K-1 and KP if you connect the right cables up to it?

---------- Post added 04-09-19 at 07:14 AM ----------

Ach I ordered it, I'm running out of time hehe, I'll let you all know how it goes.
04-08-2019, 03:01 PM - 1 Like   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Has anyone used this remote then at all, can they confirm it can work with both the K-1 and KP if you connect the right cables up to it?

---------- Post added 04-09-19 at 07:14 AM ----------

Ach I ordered it, I'm running out of time hehe, I'll let you all know how it goes.

YES. I have two of these wireless Vello devices and they have worked perfectly for me. BTW: you can use the receiver with the wire that connects to the camera as a wired triggered because the button at the top will trigger the AF then the shutter appropriately, but the wire is much shorter than on most wired releases. I sometimes use one ( receiver in the hot shoe, using the transmitter to trigger the camera) when in the field with the camera atop a tripod because putting the transmitter in my pocket can be more convenient than having a wired remote dangling from the camera when I pick up to change location. An advantage: the receiver to camera wire is interchangeable with wires that connect to almost any modern DSLR (including MFT), BUT, no dedicated wire for a KP.
04-08-2019, 03:20 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
YES. I have two of these wireless Vello devices and they have worked perfectly for me. BTW: you can use the receiver with the wire that connects to the camera as a wired triggered because the button at the top will trigger the AF then the shutter appropriately, but the wire is much shorter than on most wired releases. I sometimes use one ( receiver in the hot shoe, using the transmitter to trigger the camera) when in the field with the camera atop a tripod because putting the transmitter in my pocket can be more convenient than having a wired remote dangling from the camera when I pick up to change location. An advantage: the receiver to camera wire is interchangeable with wires that connect to almost any modern DSLR (including MFT), BUT, no dedicated wire for a KP.
So currently this will only work for K-1 only? :'(

I was under the impression that I could just change the wire and then use it with the KP? I mean... isn't it just a case of visiting a electronic store and picking out a 3.5mm jack with the right connections?
04-08-2019, 04:59 PM - 1 Like   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

I was under the impression that I could just change the wire and then use it with the KP? I mean... isn't it just a case of visiting a electronic store and picking out a 3.5mm jack with the right connections?
Found this in another thread

3.5mm Stereo Plug to 2.5mm Stereo Socket | Jaycar Electronics

Here's the thread (it's on page 4 of 4)

About the wired remote control. - PentaxForums.com
04-09-2019, 05:25 AM - 1 Like   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The connection at the Vello receiver is a 2.5mm three-contact standard phono plug (pity all cameras don't use this). So you'd need a wire with a 2.5mm male plug @ the receiver end, and a 3.5mm male plug for the camera end OR a converter plug that had a 3.5mm male at one end and a 2.5mm female receptacle at the other. Such things are made, you can probably track one down on Amazon or EBAY if you cannot get one from a local audio-video equipment dealer. Riggomatic has listed one source.
04-09-2019, 09:05 AM - 1 Like   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

As explained earlier in the thread, wired remotes that work for the K-1 will also work with the KP when paired with an appropriate 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter. (According to reports here on PF, both three and four-pole adapter plugs will work for remotes. LINK)

Addendum: You may need to disable microphone auto-detect on the KP for the remote to work.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-09-2019 at 10:24 AM.