Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2019, 09:12 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wired remote for KP & K-1

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi peeps,

I am looking for a WIRED remote to fire the K-1/KP. I currently use this little fella;

Wireless Remote Control Pentax K-1 K-3 K-50 K-500 Q K-5 II K-30 K-7 F O-RC1 | eBay

It works fine, however 2 things;

1) the KP has no IR so it can't be used at all with that camera.

2) In bright daylight conditions the IR signal is flakey, often not firing at all, limited range etc.

I could use the smartphone app, however it takes too long to set up and open and bla bla...

I just want an old school wired remote, plenty of cable length (or allow for me to run an extension cable between remote and camera), it MUST have an AF button (like the wireless remote) and a Shutter button (dur..).

I am just unsure what wired remotes work with a K-1/KP.

Can anyone help?

The main reason I want this is that I do events, and when I set up studio lighting, either indoors or outdoors I tend to like a test subject to use to configure my lighting (typically a mix of ambient and flash). It occurred to me that with Live View and Face Detection I should be able to use myself quickly enough to be that test subject.

PS I am in the process of putting in a B&H order so if that site has one that will work with K-1 and KP please lemme know

TIA!

Bruce

04-06-2019, 09:46 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-1 uses a wired remote similar to the one I use on my K-3.

Bower LCD Timer and Remote Shutter Release (Model RCLC1R) reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

The KP has requirements similar to the K-70 (multiple articles on this site). An appropriate converter may be applied to the above unit to allow it to work with both cameras.

Steve
04-06-2019, 09:52 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The K-1 and KP use different wired remotes. Here is the one for the KP, which works by being connected to the mic port:
Pentax CS-310 - Adorama (no longer carried by B&H). There are similar third-party cables, just be sure to get one with the correct size jack, or with a converter.

Here is the one for the K-1, which goes in the dedicated port:
Pentax Cable Switch 205 (Cable Release) - 1.6' (50cm) 37248 B&H

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-07-2019, 03:12 AM   #4
Unregistered User

I got a couple from B&H made by Vello designed to fit Canon (about seven bucks if I recall correctly) - the terminator must be a 2.5mm TRRS male "phono" plug - make sure you don't get the ones with the three-hole female also made to fit Canon. Only problem with 'em which I found to be true of Pentax unit as well, is that the "hold it down" slider gets in the way. In my cameras there are two selections for how that works - the "push it twice, once to start and once to stop" (my preference), and the "hold it down and stop when I let up" option. Two different models from Vello, both work fine in Pentax.

04-07-2019, 03:54 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ok, I appreciate all the suggestions but I'm seeing pricetags that scare me slightly as well as functionality I doubt I'll ever use.

As you can see, the wireless remote I linked has only two buttons, AF and Shutter, and really that's all I need, just that in a wired format. Surely these can be found for cheap somewhere?

I understand the two cameras (K-1 and KP) need different cables to attach and work, so either I buy one remote and switch cables (or use an adapter if that will work), or I buy two cheap remotes, one for KP and one for K-1.

So what's stopping this controller from working with our cameras?

Vello RS-C1II Wired Remote Switch for Select Cameras RS-C1II B&H

In the pull down menu there are a lot of options, do none of those work with the KP/K1? At that price I could buy two quite easily.
04-07-2019, 03:59 AM   #6
Forum Member

I've bought remote with 3.5mm jack off ebay:
JJC MA-PK1 for KP
04-07-2019, 04:16 AM   #7
Unregistered User

that's the vello model I was recommending. it will work on the K-1 (despite labeling for Canon), but the KP, as I understand it, uses a different size connector.

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Ok, I appreciate all the suggestions but I'm seeing pricetags that scare me slightly as well as functionality I doubt I'll ever use.

As you can see, the wireless remote I linked has only two buttons, AF and Shutter, and really that's all I need, just that in a wired format. Surely these can be found for cheap somewhere?

I understand the two cameras (K-1 and KP) need different cables to attach and work, so either I buy one remote and switch cables (or use an adapter if that will work), or I buy two cheap remotes, one for KP and one for K-1.

In the pull down menu there are a lot of options, do none of those work with the KP/K1? At that price I could buy two quite easily.

04-07-2019, 05:11 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
There's this option:

amazon.com : Pixel 2.4GHz Digital Wireless Remote Shutter Release E3 for Canon, Pentax, Samsung, Contax, Sigma and Hassleblad Cameras, Replaces Canon RS-60E3 : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&

You half press the button to focus, full press for shutter, but you need to enable half press shutter release on the camera for the focus to work from the remote.

Receiver can hang from the cable if you are using an external flash, or clamp to the hot shoe if not in use.

You can buy a longer cable, and use the button on the receiver to actuate focus and shutter.

It doesn't require line of site to the camera, and has a decent range.

I use mine on the K-5.
04-07-2019, 06:05 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I bought this one on ebay for the KP and it works fine
JJC MA-PK1 W Remote for KP (PENTAX CS-310)

Amazon also has it for $10.
04-07-2019, 06:23 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For the K1 but not a KP I have Bower, Vello, and Pentax wired remotes, all of which have a three-contacts 2.5mm phono plug of the same type used by many (not all) Canon cameras. My experience:

1) the aftermarket brand plugs don't have quite enough projection at the right-angle bend near the plug. If the wire is projecting straight backwards, it's fine, but if the wire rotates down toward the base plate or up toward the top of the camera the elbow strikes the camera body adjacent to the socket, the plug is pulled out slightly and loses proper contact.
2) For reasons I cannot determine, several of the Vello & Bower units have suddenly failed. Applying a continuity checker to the contacts indicates everything is OK, yet the remotes fail to trip the shutter.
3) The much more expensive Pentax wired remote has worked flawlessly. The projection of the plug at the elbow is a few millimeters longer, so it can rotate in the camera socket without being pulled out, and the unit has never yet failed to trigger the shutter.

Based on my experience I would recommend putting out the extra $ and getting a Pentax wired remote plus, from Adorama, the adapter required to use it on a KP (pardon me Pentax, this this was a really, really dumb design feature of the KP - not at all Pentaxian friendly).
04-07-2019, 08:24 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Once you have a remote with the correct plugs, you can make an extender out of some more cable and sockets/plugs. I have a 50' home-made extension cable that cost just a few bucks to make. Look on Ebay for appropriate parts. If you are not comfortable wiring something like this up (there are no lethal voltage to worry about!), find a local ham radio person who will probably do it for free (or maybe a can of beer).
04-07-2019, 09:08 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
.............(or maybe a can of beer).
That is one of my currencies when taking pictures for friends
04-07-2019, 09:22 AM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

A few notes:
  • The Pentax models are over-priced
  • How cheap is cheap?
  • The control protocol is simply shutter button emulation, meaning half-press and release. The behavior in regards to AF will follow that of the main shutter release. Features designed to work with the IR remote do not affect the wired remote (again, simply a shutter button).
  • As noted above, most Pentax dSLRs share compatibility with several Canon models. Unless one knows which models are the same as your Pentax, don't use this as a guide.
  • A good wired remote will have a locking provision for time exposures. How well such works may vary considerably.
  • Before writing off "full-featured" as a waste, seriously consider what feature you would never use

Steve
04-07-2019, 09:28 AM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

It will work with your K-1 (assuming adequate plug clearance). The KP will require an adapter.

Steve
04-07-2019, 01:43 PM   #15
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
Once you have a remote with the correct plugs, you can make an extender out of some more cable and sockets/plugs. I have a 50' home-made extension cable that cost just a few bucks to make. Look on Ebay for appropriate parts. If you are not comfortable wiring something like this up (there are no lethal voltage to worry about!), find a local ham radio person who will probably do it for free (or maybe a can of beer).

I bought a 10' extension cable for the 2.5mm TRRS plug from B&H; pretty good stuff, angled male terminus fits the K-1 really well, as there's no sticky-outy thing off the side to knock off with an elbow.