Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2019, 01:42 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
As explained earlier in the thread, wired remotes that work for the K-1 will also work with the KP when paired with an appropriate 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter. (According to reports here on PF, both three and four-pole adapter plugs will work for remotes. LINK)

Addendum: You may need to disable microphone auto-detect on the KP for the remote to work.

Steve
Thanks for that. I noted one reviewer on B&H with that Vello Wireless remote stated that they used it successfully on the 645 and how they also bought it to use with other cameras due to interchangeable cable (he just didn't confirm that it did actually work). I did think it would be possible, with either an adapter or new cable.

And thanks for alerting me to the microphone auto-detect, I'll watch out for that.

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
The connection at the Vello receiver is a 2.5mm three-contact standard phono plug (pity all cameras don't use this). So you'd need a wire with a 2.5mm male plug @ the receiver end, and a 3.5mm male plug for the camera end OR a converter plug that had a 3.5mm male at one end and a 2.5mm female receptacle at the other. Such things are made, you can probably track one down on Amazon or EBAY if you cannot get one from a local audio-video equipment dealer. Riggomatic has listed one source.
Thanks, yeah I thought that would be possible.

QuoteOriginally posted by Riggomatic Quote
Thanks, I think I'll try that jaycar plug adapter as that shop is local to me, I'll get back to you all with my impressions of the remote.

04-09-2019, 02:37 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
it is simple to construct one, or regardless of connector attached to the end, modify anything you find to work

the pentax DSLRs all use the 2 mm stereo plug the tip is the shutter release, the middle band is the focus and the last band is common for both focus and shutter

i actually put an inline male female splice into the one for my PZ1 to make it not only usable for both but also extendable on my DSLRs, if you get a release for the PZ1 which has a 3 in line socket arrangement, the red wire goes to the tip, black to the middle band and blue is the common going to the rear band

i actually like the PZ1 release over the newer one that pentax sells for the dskrs
04-09-2019, 03:58 PM   #33
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
it is simple to construct one, or regardless of connector attached to the end, modify anything you find to work

the pentax DSLRs all use the 2 mm stereo plug the tip is the shutter release, the middle band is the focus and the last band is common for both focus and shutter

i actually put an inline male female splice into the one for my PZ1 to make it not only usable for both but also extendable on my DSLRs, if you get a release for the PZ1 which has a 3 in line socket arrangement, the red wire goes to the tip, black to the middle band and blue is the common going to the rear band

i actually like the PZ1 release over the newer one that pentax sells for the dskrs
Yep...the remote is quite literally a shutter switch wired in parallel with the main release button. There is no handshake or machine logic involved, just a simple switch.

Steve
04-16-2019, 02:30 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
So the Vello wireless trigger arrived, can confirm it works fine with the K-1, but I cannot get it to work on the KP (though I didn't try very hard). I have a spare 2.5mm to 3.5mm stereo to stereo male to male cable lying around that I thought would work with the KP, alas it doesn't.

Someone recommended this adapter in another thread; 3.5mm Stereo Plug to 2.5mm Stereo Socket | Jaycar Electronics but now I have doubts that this will work because it's basically doing the same adaptation of the cable that comes with the Vello trigger as the 2.5/3.5mm cable I have already :/

What am I missing here?

04-16-2019, 04:43 PM - 1 Like   #35
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
I have a spare 2.5mm to 3.5mm stereo to stereo male to male cable lying around that I thought would work with the KP, alas it doesn't.
There is a setting...(exploring mind palace...might take a few seconds...)...DING!
Menu --> Setup 3 ---> External Input Devices --> change from auto-select (also on control panel)
See if that works.

Steve

(...deja vu...)
04-20-2019, 03:07 AM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
  • The Pentax models are over-priced
  • How cheap is cheap?
The Pentax models are 4% more expensive than the equivalent Canon RS-80N3. So relative cheap, considering the much higher production rates of Canon.
What is cheap? How does cheap correspond to quality and and functionality?

Using an $1500 camera and thinking about an $40 wired remote (3% of the camera worth) seems strange.
04-20-2019, 08:58 AM   #37
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
[/LIST]The Pentax models are 4% more expensive than the equivalent Canon RS-80N3. So relative cheap, considering the much higher production rates of Canon.

Using an $1500 camera and thinking about an $40 wired remote (3% of the camera worth) seems strange.
The Canon equivalent is overpriced too.
The maximum cost of a camera it might work with has nothing to do with whether an accessory is overpriced.
The $49.95 USD Pentax CS-205 will do the job, but is poor value. There is nothing about its features or construction* or suitability to task that justifies its price point compared to its $7.95 USD generic competition that strangely has almost twice the cord length. I can't add much regarding the elusive Pentax CS-310 (specific to the K-70 and AP) except that it is $1 less money and has 1 meter shorter cord than the incompatible CS-205.**

Steve

* I may concede on the point of build quality since accessories of this sort tend to be very lightly constructed and the review on this site mentioned better build.

** Possibly compatible when paired with an appropriate 2.5mm/3.5mm adapter.

04-20-2019, 01:21 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
[/LIST]The Pentax models are 4% more expensive than the equivalent Canon RS-80N3. So relative cheap, considering the much higher production rates of Canon.

Yeah I wouldn't go overly comparing the price of an accessory with the camera body. You can spend a lot on the accessory aspect of photography, body is just one aspect;

Lenses
Bag
Tripods
Flashes
Light Stands
Adapters
Filters
Remotes/Triggers
Reflectors
Backdrops

I mean the list can go on and on, so eventually $40 vs $10 does become important.
04-24-2019, 07:18 PM - 1 Like   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Had a chance to test the Vello wireless remote, works well. Here's a couple of shots I used it with;

I think I need to work on my hand position, I cloned out the aerial in these shots heh, I should just take the shot on a 2 sec delay and then drop the remote, I reckon it could handle the fall onto soft leaves

One issue I have is if you leave teh receiver on it will stay on, there is no auto turn off after 15mins or whatever. I just checked my camera bag 2 days later and it was still on after the last shooting session (thinking I had toggled it off). It's not a slider on/off switch but an annoying push and hold one, and the red LED light that tells you if it's on or off is not easily seen in broad daylight. This combined with no auto off is quite bad imo. I must check the manual to see if there is a way to engage it and make it do an auto shutdown but I 'm not holding my breath. Best to get spare batteries (and they are odd batteries, not sure how many shops will sell them).