Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2019, 04:35 AM - 5 Likes   #1

Photos: Gallery
Underwater Housing Gio Pentax K3

Dear all,
I’m new to the forum and this is my first thread. I know that many of you are passionate (as much as I am) about diving and underwater photography. It’s years now that I photograph underwater with a compact camera (a Sony RX100 of which I am very satisfied), but my greatest regret has always been not being able to bring underwater my beloved Pentax K5 II (I recently replaced with a K3).
Last year, during an underwater photographic event in Porto San Paolo (Sardinia, Italy), where I work as diving instructor, I came across an Italian Company (Gio-Sim), showcasing some polycarbonate housings: nothing unusual up to here. Then, I noticed their leaflet, where I read Pentax. Pentax?! Wait a minute, it’s impossible, I said to myself. So, I decided to talk to the Company owner Stefano, who confirmed it was true, he could build cases for Pentax. But he also said that he had never made one before, therefore he needed me to send him my camera to study and assess the possibility to build a housing for it. From there on, I started to consider the next steps: upgrading to K3, buying a 10-17 equal to Tokina (a lens praised by underwater photographers worldwide) and a macro lens (in my case, a 50 mm 2.8 Sigma), etc. It took me a few months to assemble the gear and send it to Stefano. After having agreed on the controls I wanted and after a month of anxious waiting, I am now waiting for the housing Gio Pentax K3 S/N 01 to arrive at my door. I post the link to their website below (hoping it is allowed, if not the moderators can proceed to delete it).
Custodia subacquea per pentax k3 | custodia-gio | Custodie subacquee nikon, custodie subacquee canon, custodie subacquee per fotocamere, custodie macchine fotografiche subacquee, custodie subacquee per macchine fotografiche, macchine fotografiche sub

As soon as the housing will be in my hands I will post some pictures, hoping to be able to write a detailed review after a test in the water soon. Stay tuned.

Last edited by Salvo85; 04-13-2019 at 06:50 AM.
04-13-2019, 06:14 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Such good news! This has been a real gap for years.
04-18-2019, 07:22 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
This should be stickied!!!! That's fantastic news!
04-28-2019, 10:54 AM - 4 Likes   #4

Original Poster
Hi all! As I promised, here are some pictures of my new K3 housing. I apologise for the low quality, but they were taken with a smartphone.

The material of the housing looks solid, and the handles are very comfy. As you can see, I asked for an additional bracket, useful for both the transport and the insertion of other components, such as a focus light or an action cam.

Here you can see the complete set, including a macro port. Considering that the sigma 50 macro does not have internal focus, I had to opt for the bigger macro port that is visible behind the K3.

Stefano could add all the buttons on the back. The only control that seems a bit uncomfortable is the upper button of the 4 way sector, being very close to the switch from photo to video mode. Of course, the latter control is optional, if you donít need the video function.

Hereís the humidity sensor, warning in the case of a leak.

Here you see the control lifting the pop-up flash and the lever allowing to close it. Otherwise, youíd need to insert the camera with the pop-up flash lifted and keep it this way for the whole dive. Luckily, they could meet also this request I made.

The K3 fits in very well and the housing is overall compact. Here you see also the slide that makes the placing firm, with a stop on the lower right for additional safety.

Here is the toothed ring that thanks to a gear allows to vary the focal of the 10-17.

Here, the housing beside its little sister. Even if the Rx100 has its own dedicated aluminum housing, itís rather impressive that the Gio technopolymer housing has a relatively small size after all.

In the next days Iíll make some closer dry tests, hoping to have the chance to try it in the water asap.

04-29-2019, 07:11 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Looks fantastic! Can't wait to see results from an under water Pentaxian Adventure!
04-30-2019, 06:55 AM   #6
Pentaxian

What a magnificent piece of work! Congratulations to Stefano, and to you too Salvo85.

I guess this would also serve for the K3ii, except that it has no pop-up flash. As far as I know, all the other buttons are in the same place (correct me if I'm wrong).
04-30-2019, 01:08 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
What a magnificent piece of work! Congratulations to Stefano, and to you too Salvo85.

I guess this would also serve for the K3ii, except that it has no pop-up flash. As far as I know, all the other buttons are in the same place (correct me if I'm wrong).
Thanks Paul. I think the buttons are the same. The lack of a built-in flash is a problem if you want to use flashes. There are companies that make specific triggers for underwater housing, but not for Pentax. maybe you can use them, but only in manual. Another solution could be to use a small flash that manages to fit in the case. I chose the k3, due to the presence of the built-in flash.

Last edited by Salvo85; 05-01-2019 at 04:32 AM.
11-12-2019, 02:44 AM - 4 Likes   #8

Original Poster
Sorry for the long absence, but the season was long. Unfortunately because of work I couldn't do many dives whit my camera, but I succeed to get some shots.

here some shots:

Pentax SMC DA 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5 ED Fisheye

Sigma 50mm f2.8 macro ex dg

here the album's link:
Underwater Pentax K3 | Flickr

11-12-2019, 03:04 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Lovely shots Salvatore. The K3 really performed well! Am I right in understanding that you were using the built-in flash to optically trigger an external flash?

My son uses the 10-17 for underwater work too. It's great for this purpose.
11-12-2019, 03:13 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That’s amazing Salvatore!
11-12-2019, 03:17 AM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks a lot Paul. Yes, I used the built-in flash to optically trigger an external two Inon z240 flashes. Yes, Pentax K3 is very good for underwater photography.
11-15-2019, 07:16 PM   #12
Pentaxian

If I was a swimmer/diver, I would so be all over this right now. Amazing results!