Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2019, 03:03 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Remote Control F

Perhaps everybody already knew this... but for those that don't and I did include myself in that group up until now...

You can actually change the battery in a Pentax Remote Control F yourself, just three wee screws, a button cell (CR1620, 3 V, Lithium, 70 mAh, Flat Top, 16 mm, @ £1.00 or so), just note how it comes out and which way up etc, a couple of minutes to do.

My remote range has now just gone back up from a two yards to eight yards, both outside on a dull day.

Not too shabby, my first new battery since 2008, I can't complain about that...

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 04-17-2019 at 03:11 AM.
04-17-2019, 04:31 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, I for one didn't know that, and therefore sure appreciate your finding. Actually, in anticipation of the Remote F battery dying one day, I even picked up a cheap Chinese third-party solution at Amazon:

amazon.com : Gadget Place Infrared Shutter Remote for Pentax K-S2 K-S1 K-3 K-50 K-500 : Gateway?tag=pentaxforums-20&

The latter being less fiddly to handle, given its more generous dimensions, and not requiring a scroogy for changing the battery.

But good to know about the Remote F. Will definitely keep mine.
04-17-2019, 06:01 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's nice. My cheap, $3, remotes work just as well and their cost allows me to have one in each bag JIC.
04-17-2019, 06:26 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've changed my F battery before. Easy to do. But a camera must have a remote control infrared receiver port. The Pentax KP does not, probably because it was displaced by the interchangeable grips. But that is only on the front side. The much more useful infrared port is on the backs of the premium cameras like the K-3, and, surprisingly, all of the Pentax Q cameras. The backside infrared port is much more useful for triggering your camera on tripod without touching it and risking camera shake. The front infrared port seems to be designed only for getting into a picture yourself and tripping the shutter from the front side. I hope BOTH infrared receivers are revived on the K-3 replacement, and not abandoned altogether in favor of presumed phone app shooting. Fiddling with a phone app just to trip the shutter is ridiculous except in cases where you need to see the image from a distance.

6 Days Ago   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
That's nice. My cheap, $3, remotes work just as well and their cost allows me to have one in each bag JIC.
What annoying is battery self discharge. I'm never 100% sure that my IR will work until I pull the battery out of it to test it or replace it by a new one. I've not found a solution to that problem so far.
6 Days Ago   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

biz-engineer, put your camera in live view and put your remote right in front of your lens. Push the button and you should be able to see the LED flash. IR is filtered out but not completely, so you can see the remote flash. I have done this with Pentax and nikon cameras but understand that it may not work with canon cameras.
6 Days Ago   #7
Veteran Member

This make me sad, when i think my old LG G6 with Infrared, i didnt need to carry a extra controler, just one generic App and my K30/K3 work without hassle
6 Days Ago   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
What annoying is battery self discharge. I'm never 100% sure that my IR will work until I pull the battery out of it to test it or replace it by a new one. I've not found a solution to that problem so far.
The battery should last a considerable time since it is used only intermittently like a car FOB (I'm still getting good range with my car FOB after 14 years, and the battery has never been changed). It's wise to carry a spare battery but unless you really use the begesits out of your remote, a spare will be rarely needed. I just take the chance and if the remote battery fails, Oh well.

6 Days Ago   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
The battery should last a considerable time since it is used only intermittently like a car FOB (I'm still getting good range with my car FOB after 14 years, and the battery has never been changed). It's wise to carry a spare battery but unless you really use the begesits out of your remote, a spare will be rarely needed. I just take the chance and if the remote battery fails, Oh well.
Tow or three time, when I wanted to use the remote it didn't work, the reason I found later was that the battery was discharged.
3 Days Ago   #10
Veteran Member

Hijacking this thread slightly, is this the remote which fits inside the K10 / K20 battery grip (and maybe others) ? I enquired of an online UK vendor, but they did not know.
3 Days Ago   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Hijacking this thread slightly, is this the remote which fits inside the K10 / K20 battery grip (and maybe others) ? I enquired of an online UK vendor, but they did not know.
Yes, that's the one. Have a look at the D-BG2 battery grip manual.

The F is a tiny bit of plastic with a button, not much bigger than the button battery that powers it. I'm surprised I haven't lost mine yet.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/22-pentax-camera-field-acces...2-manual-1.pdf
3 Days Ago   #12
Veteran Member

Thanks very much
3 Days Ago   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by YeOldePentaxian Quote
Yes, that's the one. Have a look at the D-BG2 battery grip manual.

The F is a tiny bit of plastic with a button, not much bigger than the button battery that powers it. I'm surprised I haven't lost mine yet.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/22-pentax-camera-field-acces...2-manual-1.pdf
Yes, it is prone to getting lost, but I've had mine for years. Put some brightly colored tape stripes on it. It helps me spot mine quickly.
2 Days Ago   #14
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Yep the very same.

It's also easier to find with a new battery in now too...
2 Days Ago   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

purchased this years ago , very convenient to test IR remotes:Remote Control Tester RCT 5502 Equipment König Electronic