Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
04-17-2019, 05:32 AM   #1
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
three leg add on for support of monopod

I am looking for a three leg add on for a monopod

this Is the monopod: Oben CTM-2400 4-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod

the foot is one with small metal prong/rubber end, no extrudable bolt or female screw opening

I have searched but all options I have found require screw attachment this option: a cane support

I want more stability but do not intend on leaving the monopod, camera and lens standing alone.

any and all thoughts welcomed

04-17-2019, 05:45 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

More suited for this section than wanted section, Allen.

Wanted section is for asking people to sell or give you what you're asking for, not for suggestions on what you should do to make your monopod a mini tripod.
04-17-2019, 05:55 AM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
More suited for this section than wanted section, Allen.

Wanted section is for asking people to sell or give you what you're asking for, not for suggestions on what you should do to make your monopod a mini tripod.
sorry

thanks for the assistance
04-17-2019, 06:00 AM - 3 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

I've tried them and they're a kludge. They are neither fish nor foul and just don't really add much to the situation. Not stable enough, IMHO, to leave your camera attached without you holding on and not as portable and easy to reposition as a monopod alone. YMMV.

04-17-2019, 06:05 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have a read of this Allen. I now favour method 3.

How to Use a Monopod
04-17-2019, 06:15 AM   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote

How to Use a Monopod

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I've tried them and they're a kludge. They are neither fish nor foul and just don't really add much to the situation. Not stable enough, IMHO, to leave your camera attached without you holding on and not as portable and easy to reposition as a monopod alone. YMMV.
thanks for the input folks

as I said I am not planning on something that would allow me to leave the monopod standing alone

but to allow me to not add any shake to the set up by the way I grip the monopod

the hope being that I can rely on the " add on " to aid in stability while I lightly hold the monopod

I think I may go to a local medical supply store and see if the cane option might be useful

I also will practice with the various methods set out in the article
04-17-2019, 07:20 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I am looking for a three leg add on for a monopod

this Is the monopod: Oben CTM-2400 4-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod

the foot is one with small metal prong/rubber end, no extrudable bolt or female screw opening

I have searched but all options I have found require screw attachment this option: a cane support

I want more stability but do not intend on leaving the monopod, camera and lens standing alone.

any and all thoughts welcomed
I actually have an Oben ACM-2400L w/mini-legs on the way to me, should arrive in a couple days so I'll post my impressions after I try it out.

04-17-2019, 07:55 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I've got two monopods with legs. One is a fairly new Sirui and the other is an old Stitz. Neither one is all that stable. I think there IS an answer to this, but nobody makes it. First off, it's always seemed to me like monopods are built upside-down. The thicker tubes should be on the bottom. That would be a more stable design, I think. It makes the monopod more of a pyramid structure. Second, I think it's almost impossible to stabilize a monopod by putting feet on it. There's just too much leverage to overcome. If it sways a little at the bottom...it's going to sway a lot at the tope. So I think the feet ought to be more like a mini-tripod that attaches to the monopod a foot or so off the ground. I know none of that answers your original question. Sorry. This part is more in line with what you were asking. In addition to my two monopods with feet, I also have an old Bogen monopod and had thought about adding feet to it. It doesn't have a screw option on the end, so the best solution I had found was where someone had bought some add-on feet on Amazon, then used epoxy to attach them to the monopod. I never tried it on my old Bogen because I found a great deal on my Sirui before I got that far.
04-17-2019, 09:31 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Probably an expensive idea for your challenge: some of the newer generation, major brands, tripods offer a leg as a monopod. I bought a small travel Mefoto tripod with a detachable monopod. For my smaller travel kit, it works fine-fills both needs. If your camera & lens weights are significant, a bigger tripod with detachable leg/monopod may be a solution(?). When I am on a local “safari” both my heavy old Gitzo tripod and separate Gitzo monopod go with me as the tasks vary and the cameras & lenses move as needed.
04-19-2019, 04:20 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Go to B&H PhotoVideo and search "monopod base." There are many available but will only fit if your monopod has a 3/8 (better) or 1/4 inch (not as many options) female screw in the ground end. If you're determined you'll probably need to purchase a new monopod that comes with such a foot.
04-20-2019, 04:57 AM   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
as far as I can tell, you are correct

unfortunately
04-20-2019, 09:20 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I was hoping you found a solution Allen, I'm in the same boat here. My monopod doesn't have the screw hole in the bottom but a pass through hole in the side at the end of the last leg. With my Essential Tremors, it's hard to hold the monopod steady enough to keep it from shaking and take a photo with my right hand which doesn't shake as much as my left hand, which holds the monopod. I'm still thinking about making my own leg stand using small metal shelving brackets. and a bolt and nut to hold them in place.
04-21-2019, 01:23 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote

How to Use a Monopod
The way I shake these days, this would negate the effect of the monopod ! When I saw the title of the thread, I hoped it meant a support for the tog !
04-21-2019, 03:36 AM   #14
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I was hoping you found a solution Allen, I'm in the same boat here. My monopod doesn't have the screw hole in the bottom but a pass through hole in the side at the end of the last leg. With my Essential Tremors, it's hard to hold the monopod steady enough to keep it from shaking and take a photo with my right hand which doesn't shake as much as my left hand, which holds the monopod. I'm still thinking about making my own leg stand using small metal shelving brackets. and a bolt and nut to hold them in place.
I plan on getting to a medical supply store in the near future and seeing if any of the supports they sell which add to the stability of a cane might be useful.

as I understand it, you place the bottom of the cane directly into one and the cane can then stand up right without support. they also flex in some fashion to add the person being assisted by the cane while waling.

I will report back to the thread with what I find.
05-15-2019, 06:44 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey guys, I'm sorry I let this drop off my radar but I finally did use my Oben monopod with 3 leg support this evening.

I went out to a local pond with my K-3 II + battery grip, Tamron 400/4 Adaptall + 1.4x-L teleconverter, and Oben monopod. The lens is similar in size and weight to the DFA 150-450mm. I made a few snaps with the monopod without using the 3 legs, and the rest with. Even angled slightly downward on rough terrain, the legs provided much more stability than without. Not enough to let go of the camera, but enough to stabilize it by 1 stop compared with using the monopod with only the pointed end.

I have yet to get a head for the monopod, so I simply screwed it into the lens' tripod mount.

Obviously, carrying the monopod - I nearly just typed "tripod" - with the legs extended makes it far more cumbersome. I've only been out with it twice, but I can tell already that my usage pattern will be to use it with the legs retracted, and then when I feel there's an opportunity to spend a few minutes with my subject the legs will come out.

It takes about 30-40 seconds to invert the camera/lens/monopod combo, extract and attach the legs, and re-orient everything.

GBH @ 50 yards

Last edited by luftfluss; 05-15-2019 at 07:57 PM.