Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
04-28-2019, 09:16 PM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I asked this before but couldn't find the thread in my control panel

for threads I started. Forum software only goes back 12 pages.

So I'm still looking for a lighter tripod than the Manfrotto 0055xProB I have now. I read through Steve Brot's thread, and he was helping me on the other thread but the one I bought would not hold my camera and lens, it's was just too spindly. As he told me in a PM too. So, any idea to get one that doesn't weigh a bunch but isn't spindly either, My 5'2" 97lb body can't carry a heavy tripod anymore. And tripod must not cost more than $150, as I'm on a limited income, and paying for a new to me 2006 Jeep Liberty Sport SUV.

And I plan on selling the other one, if I find one to fit my needs.

04-29-2019, 12:21 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
for threads I started. Forum software only goes back 12 pages.
. . .

Is this the old thread you were looking for?
Looking for a light but sturdy tripod - PentaxForums.com
04-29-2019, 01:14 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Check out the various versions of this Neewer on Amazon. They should be sturdy enough and in your price range.
04-29-2019, 04:36 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

SLIK makes some good tripods at very reasonable prices. Decide first if you want one with or without a head (I'd go without and use the head you have), then go to B&H, tripods, select legs only, select the SLIK brand, then use "sort by" and arrange them by price, low to high. You can then easily see what the weight, weight-bearing and max height are for each model as you go up in price to your limit. And my personal preference and advice: fliplocks are more convenient and reliable than collar locks.

04-29-2019, 05:15 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

According to the other thread, you bought the Slik over a month ago....
04-29-2019, 05:58 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So I'm still looking for a lighter tripod
Why not post this in the Wanted section?
04-29-2019, 06:02 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

That's the trouble with buying big ole lenses, you need big ole tripods.
My lightweight tripods vibrate like leaves in the wind when I put a heavy lens on them.

04-29-2019, 06:27 AM - 1 Like   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by .a.t. Quote
Is this the old thread you were looking for?
Looking for a light but sturdy tripod - PentaxForums.com
Yes, that's the thread I couldn't find. Thanks.

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Check out the various versions of this Neewer on Amazon. They should be sturdy enough and in your price range.
Thanks, I'll look at those too.

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
SLIK makes some good tripods at very reasonable prices. Decide first if you want one with or without a head (I'd go without and use the head you have), then go to B&H, tripods, select legs only, select the SLIK brand, then use "sort by" and arrange them by price, low to high. You can then easily see what the weight, weight-bearing and max height are for each model as you go up in price to your limit. And my personal preference and advice: fliplocks are more convenient and reliable than collar locks.
I have the head I need, I just need the legs.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
According to the other thread, you bought the Slik over a month ago....
Sandy, I started that thread in 2018, so it was a year ago when I bought the Slik tripod, and I when I got it, it was too flimsy for my gear so I gave it away. And this is when Stevebrot PM'd me, that the one I bought was the wrong one, after I had already bought it. When I attached my head to that tripod, put my camera on, the camera on the head, it flopped over and it didn't hold the camera up right.

QuoteOriginally posted by 17dew Quote
Why not post this in the Wanted section?
Because I don't know what I want exactly.

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
That's the trouble with buying big ole lenses, you need big ole tripods.
My lightweight tripods vibrate like leaves in the wind when I put a heavy lens on them.
Yep, Norm, my heavier old lenses just won't work on flimsy tripods. That's why I have the heavy Manfrotto. But I've recently bought the HD 55-300mm WR ED and will be selling most of my other zooms that are heavy. I'll keep my long primes though, they're not that heavy as the Sigma 70-300mm zoom. I have a Vivitar 200mm f3.5 and a Sigma 400mm f5.6 that's pretty light for it's length. .

Last edited by photolady95; 04-29-2019 at 06:46 AM.
04-29-2019, 09:24 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I bought a no-name tripod on amazon awhile back that I really like - definitely cheap but it doesn't weigh a lot, folds down to a small size, and I like the features. It's a bit short but good for someone your height - I'm about an inch taller than you. I haven't had any issues with it yet but haven't had it that long. I used it when traveling to Grand Canyon and Monument Valley and really liked it, especially for the price. I don't know how heavy your equipment is but this works for my K3ii and a 55-300 zoom. I hung my backpack from the tripod to stabilize it when in wind and it seemed to work well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F2LCBSP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_...&ie=UTF8&psc=1
04-29-2019, 11:51 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sealonsf Quote
I bought a no-name tripod on amazon awhile back that I really like - definitely cheap but it doesn't weigh a lot, folds down to a small size, and I like the features. It's a bit short but good for someone your height - I'm about an inch taller than you. I haven't had any issues with it yet but haven't had it that long. I used it when traveling to Grand Canyon and Monument Valley and really liked it, especially for the price. I don't know how heavy your equipment is but this works for my K3ii and a 55-300 zoom. I hung my backpack from the tripod to stabilize it when in wind and it seemed to work well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F2LCBSP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_...&ie=UTF8&psc=1
I was hoping to find just the legs. I have a head that I like, and that one looks like you can't change the head on it. It's the right price range at any rate, thanks for commenting.
04-29-2019, 04:38 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I was hoping to find just the legs. I have a head that I like, and that one looks like you can't change the head on it. It's the right price range at any rate, thanks for commenting.
You are correct. You can't change the head.
05-28-2019, 11:49 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
How heavy are Gitzo tripods? Specifically this one,
G1098 Weekend Performance Basalt
05-28-2019, 12:08 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How heavy are Gitzo tripods? Specifically this one,
G1098 Weekend Performance Basalt
Gitzo tend to be pricey, but that one seems to come in at 1.81lbs
05-28-2019, 06:34 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
Gitzo tend to be pricey, but that one seems to come in at 1.81lbs
Thanks. That one wasn't that expensive. And I'm thinking of buying it if it's still there on the on the first.
05-31-2019, 06:11 AM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
That one was gone the next day but I found another Gitzo that fits my price, if it's still there today, I'm ordering it. Then I'll put my Manfrotto in the Marketplace and hope someone is looking for a good steady tripod that will stand the test of time.