Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2019, 09:32 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
OME53 eyepiece fog

Somehow I have managed to get a misty spot right in the centre of my OME53 eyepiece. I have cleaned both sides but the spot is still there. I am not sure how this is possible. Any thoughts?

04-30-2019, 10:08 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Lensje consists of two parts, you can dismantle and clean it
Pay attention of how it original was mounted
04-30-2019, 10:13 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Crooski Quote
Lensje consists of two parts, you can dismantle and clean it
Pay attention of how it original was mounted
OK thanks. I suppose air conditioning may have caused it. If it does not clear given time I will open it up. It seems to have 4 screws. I have never seen this happen before.

05-01-2019, 12:37 AM   #4

Original Poster
Luckily it cleared itself last night. Saves me trying to find JIS screwdrivers to fit.

05-01-2019, 10:47 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good to hear
05-01-2019, 09:23 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had a bizarre experience with my OME53 a few years ago. I was on a boat in Peru and someone in front of me sprayed some insect repellent or sun-screen and my view-finder immediately fogged up. I could not wipe it clean and assumed it had been destroyed due to some chemical reaction. I removed it from the camera and shot without an eye-cup for the rest of the day. That evening I pulled it out of my bag and it was as clear as day...
05-16-2019, 01:30 AM   #7
Pentaxian

In humid climate the OME53 is prone to fog up. It takes some time in dryer surroundings, but it always clears out after a while. I've had it happening to me lots of times.

The Peru story sounds familiar. I suppose this was in the Amazon region? My first fogging up experience was on boat ride in Costa Rica along the tropical backwaters on the Caribbean coast with my then state-of-the-art *istDS (soon to be replaced by the K10D) and very new OME53 (introduced at Photokina that same year, i.e. 2006). This boat trip started early when it was still cool (and relatively dry) and the breeze on the water kept our gear that way until the boat slowed down. Then things got really hot very fast and humidity struck. My gear fogged up immediately.

This change is too sudden for your gear to slowly adapt to the circumstances, and so condensation is immediate. Of course, this is typically also the moment when mosquitoes attack (kept at bay by the breeze before) and when people realize the burning sun is out (no longer refreshed by the cool breeze). Hence the spraying was going on as well, but without causal connection with the fogging up.

Other moments I had my OME53 fog up was during and after heavy rains in the rain forest. Pentax's weather sealing generally holds up pretty well, except for the OME53. So I just take it off to continue photographing. Once in Nicaragua it took leaving the Miraflores cloud forest and descending into the lower altitude city of Esteli before it cleared out. Once it fogged up at the beginning of our stay, it stayed fogged up for the remainder of our time up there (multiple days). Note that those days were extremely humid, and we had to put out most of our stuff (not just the OME53) for a whole day of drying in our Esteli B&B. Quite a sight...

Wim

Last edited by Ishpuini; 05-16-2019 at 01:56 AM.