Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2019, 03:15 AM   #1

Can anyone recommend a decent camera bag?

Hello,

I have a K3ii, 16-85mm lens, 55-300mm lens (the newest one with the retractable barrel) and AF540FGZ flash - can anyone recommend a decent camera bag (not a backpack) to accommodate all these plus a few little extras like additional SD cards, lens cleaning pen, wipes etc.?

Not sure if this helps but I always leave the 16-85mm lens attached to my camera.

The brand doesn't matter to me as long as it's good quality

Thanks in advance!

Sam

05-03-2019, 03:41 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There are many different styles of bag. I'm guessing a messenger bag may suit you, though they're not ideal for long walks. A sling bag or backpack is better there.

Check out the PF reviews. I'm sure you'll find something that works for you.

I personally have a Vanguard Up-Rise 36 that I really like (a smaller size would suit you).
05-03-2019, 04:07 AM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Paul beat me to it.

Yes I also recommend you check out the reviews

in addition to a designated camera bag, you might consider adding some padding/protection to a bag you like

inserts are available as well as lens cases/wraps

https://www.pentaxforums.com/accessoryreviews/Lens-Cases-c148.html

and of course there is bubble wrap and tape or rubber bans as well
05-03-2019, 04:36 AM   #4
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I've carried a Domke FX-3 bag daily for the last two years and it seems to be nearly indestructible - I carry a K-3 with a lens mounted, plus a second and third lens, have room for my tablet and some accessories in the side pockets, etc...

05-03-2019, 04:48 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's a small enough kit to fit in a bum bag/fanny pack/waist belt like my Tamrac VeloCity something-or-other. Climbing, trail runs, bush walks: no problem.

There is any number of small sling bags which would also fit the bill if that's your preferred carrying style.
05-03-2019, 05:16 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sjwomersley Quote
Hello,

I have a K3ii, 16-85mm lens, 55-300mm lens (the newest one with the retractable barrel) and AF540FGZ flash - can anyone recommend a decent camera bag (not a backpack) to accommodate all these plus a few little extras like additional SD cards, lens cleaning pen, wipes etc.?

Not sure if this helps but I always leave the 16-85mm lens attached to my camera.

Your question remains a bit vague. "Not a backpack" is a good place to start, but narrowing it down a bit more would help.

your kit isn't all that big, finding a back which fits everything won't be difficult. Most bags will also let you add a few personal items, or even a larger lens if you eventually expand your kit.

I've tested MANY bags, most of which are reviewed here at pentaxforums. You can look into the reviews for more detailed information, but here goes:

My favourite sling bags are the Peak Design Sling 10L and the Mindshift Gear Photocross 13 (the 10 might be enough for you). The interior of the Peak Design is better made, especially thanks to the origami dividers, and it can hold a Capture Clip which I find invaluable. Adjusting the strap length is also easier. The Photocross is more comfortable on the long run thanks to its wider strap, it's a bit more rugged, is deeper (not really an issue for you) and has a dedicated place for a water bottle. If you use the removable external straps, you can also latch a larger item (think a rolled-up coat or mat) to the outside.

My favourite messenger bag is by far the Peak Design Messenger. The smaller version would be enough for you. Same dividers system as the Sling, probably Peak Design's best bag innovation. Solid, well designed, elegant, I really like it. The Think Tank Signature is a close second, and the less expensive Retrospective line, which comes in many sizes, is also nice, and extremely popular (though not my personal favourite). Other brands make very good messenger bags also.

Some backpacks might surprise you. Something like Mindshift Gear's rotation180 system, which gives you quick access to your gear, is a pretty impressive innovation.

All the bags I've mentioned have in-depth reviews here, feel free to look at them!
05-03-2019, 05:21 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

A bit like Sandy's Tamrac, I have an old LowePro Slingshot 202 that is great for smallish APS-C kits for general walks up to medium hikes. They are very convenient, and much more comfortable than a messenger bag if you are walking any distance with weight. They are easy to sling around to the front to take out or replace camera or lens. You don't need to take them off to access the contents, unlike most backpacks.

Still, the messenger bag is just the thing for general urban commuting if you don't have to walk much, or if your gear is very light.

05-03-2019, 05:34 AM   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

well if we are listing personal favorites, I have several different back packs but for what the OP is looking for

I would recommend a look at a Lowpro Fastback camera bag

I love my Lowepro Fastpack BP 150 AW II Camera Bag

although there is no review of the 150 AW II here on the forum, there are reviews of other versions of the Lowpro fast backs

https://www.pentaxforums.com/accessoryreviews/Backpacks-c146.html

Last edited by aslyfox; 05-03-2019 at 06:50 AM.
05-03-2019, 05:50 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I use a Canon Professional Gadget Bag 1EG as my main bag. It's a shoulder type, built tough, holds loads of stuff. I use a marker to black out the canon label. )
05-03-2019, 06:28 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sjwomersley Quote
Hello,

Thanks in advance!

Sam
If you want a compact messenger (shoulder strap) bag that is narrow enough to fit under your arm and doesn't scream camera bag, consider the Domke F-803. I have one and typically carry my K-3 with 16-85 attached and 55-300 PLM along with either DA15 Limited or DFA 100 WR macro in the bag. There are also pockets for accessories. This is a really nice easy to carry bag if you like the look and feel of a rugged high quality canvas bag. This is the bag I will be using on an upcoming trip to France later this year. I will be packing in the bag: K-3 with 16-85 attached, 55-300 PLM, DA 15 Limited, DA 40 Limited, spare battery, small pouch of filters and lens cleaning pen and cloths.
05-03-2019, 06:38 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I don't have any Domke bags, and am happy with my mix of Lowepro, Vanguard, and Tenba. I will admit though that the Domkes look cool. However, they are expensive. How practical is canvas in the rain though? (An actual question, not rhetorical.)
05-03-2019, 07:20 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have a similar primary load out. K3-ll w/ 16-85, 55-300 PLM, and sigma 8-16. I recently acquired a Peak Design 10L. That all fits perfectly and I like it. I wasn't sure at first but the more I use it the more I like it. I have hauled a K70 with 100 macro and 4 Ltds out in it without the lenses knocking around against each other due to the origami designed dividers.

I recently went down by the river to photograph a steam boat race with the K3-II mounting the 16-85 and K70 w/55-300 both in the PD 10L.

I hate changing lenses in the field and usually carry two bodies w/ lenses but the 10L seems to hang correctly and stay stable enough to expedite a change when required.

I don’t have a lot of experience with a lot of bags, I have a LowePro back pack that I never carry because it’s too big and I don’t hike that far and a LowePro 160 I bought before I really geared up that’s too small for my preferred load out.

EDIT: I bought the Peak Design 10L after reading bdery’s recomendation. I was in the market for a the same product as the OP.

Last edited by Perfessor5646; 05-03-2019 at 07:54 AM. Reason: Referral note.
05-03-2019, 07:48 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I've carried a Domke FX-3 bag daily for the last two years and it seems to be nearly indestructible - I carry a K-3 with a lens mounted, plus a second and third lens, have room for my tablet and some accessories in the side pockets, etc...

I have a Domke F-3X, too. It's the bag I use the most. Very durable and flexible. I've had mine close to 30 years, I think. However, if I only had one bag, I'd probably want something with more padding.
05-03-2019, 07:51 AM - 3 Likes   #14
Pentaxian

My actual favourite bag is a little Lowenpro, just big enough for the K-3 DA 18-135 and DA 55-300 PLM. A little nondescript black rectangular bag. I like it because those two lenses cover almost any situation I'm likely to encounter hiking, and it's small enough it doesn't affect my mobility. Part of the appeal is I can switch the bag from shoulder to shoulder, meaning I can give the tired shoulder a complete rest. That's not possible with my sling bag, and it tucks under my arm unlike a back pack. Put it around my neck and it's a stable platform for lens changes. And the nice thing about it being small is, it prevents me throwing a lens I won't use into the bag just because I can. My next favourite is a bigger shoulder bag, big enough for the K-1, 100 macro, 50 1.4 and DFA 28-105 and couple of TCs. That gives me a K-3 trail kit for on the move, and a K-1 kit for landscape.

The number of rarely used camera bags I have is a cause of concern in terms of closet and storage space. Especially since they are actually used so infrequently. I have one pack that gets used when I go somewhere as a kind of storage cabinet away from home, it's been five years since I actually carried it anywhere but to the room where I was staying. I take other bags to actually go places. I have my slingshot, which tends to be popular once a year for short outings. I have a few big ones for my big lenses, that have extra wide straps for the heavy loads. I have many "holster" type bags that are rarely used, I find they make lens changes unnecessarily difficult. The last one I bought, a holster bag exactly the right size for my K-1 and 28-105 has been taken by my wife, I may have to find another one. It took me years to find one I was happy with. Unfortunately it was so good the wife noticed. A holster bag with a couple of lens pouches attached is wonderful thing, but looks way to much like expensive camera gear to leave in the car.

But the bottom line is I like choice. And it's odd that the ones I choose most are the cheapest, most unimpressive looking bags. Sometime I feel like a slingshot, sometimes I feel like a holster and lens pouches, sometimes I feel like a back pack, sometimes I just want a rectangular padded bag. Sometimes I even put on the full belt shoulder strap my wife calls the contraption, and attach lens pouches every where, but that always feels like I'm showing off.

Last edited by normhead; 05-03-2019 at 09:45 AM.
05-03-2019, 08:33 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I don't have any Domke bags, and am happy with my mix of Lowepro, Vanguard, and Tenba. I will admit though that the Domkes look cool. However, they are expensive. How practical is canvas in the rain though? (An actual question, not rhetorical.)
I've traveled a lot with my little Domke 803, in plenty of rain, even a couple typhoons. It's waxed canvas, so things stay pretty dry. Drier than I (or my camera) does anyway.
I can wholeheartedly recommend it for someone looking for a small messenger-style bag to hold a camera body and a couple lenses and or flash.