Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
05-03-2019, 09:55 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I think you've just put me off photography for life.

05-03-2019, 10:04 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
If I'd taken and had access to pictures for every guy I've seen with more outrageous set ups than me, I would certainly put you off for life. I mean seriously, if there's any risk at all you might end up looking like one of those guys, (or even me) why would any reasonable person want to take that risk?
05-03-2019, 10:21 AM   #18
Pentaxian

I've used several bags of various sizes over the years. I like the Tamrac quality and design, and their website has size diagrams. I suggest getting a bag with an extra hole for expansion.
05-03-2019, 12:17 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Photography IS life

05-03-2019, 02:59 PM   #20

Photos: Albums
I have far too many bags, Peak Design, Kata, etc. Some were expensive, but for a camera with two or three lenses lenses, spare batteries, etc my favourite remains the inexpensive Pentax K bag. Difficult to come by these days, but nice if you can get it.
Here's a link:
Sacoche "K" - RICOH IMAGING EUROPE S.A.S
05-03-2019, 05:38 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My favorite bags are the Thinktank Turnstyle. They are small sling bags, pretty minimal., very well made. They work well for me when I want to carry gear. I normally have a KP with 55-300 PLM mounted, a Sigma 17-50 2.8, F 50/1.7, and DA 15, in the Turnstyle 10, I also have the 5 which is smaller, and they make a larger size. I also have some other bags, a couple Lowepro shoulder bags, a Tamrac messenger, a Lowepro backpack, and a Tenba sling. A shoulder bag is OK for storing and moving gear, but I don't care to carry it while using the equipment, a messenger bag is OK, backpacks are good for carrying, but not for shooting, and my Tenba sling is handy, but bigger than I want to usually carry. Of course, these are all my opinions for my usage, they may not work for you. The Thinktank website has videos on each of their bag lines which are somewhat helpful, Mindshift is also made by the same company.

If you have any camera stores around go take a look at the bags. There are so many different bags, and even types and sizes of bags, it would be impossible to review them all or get opinions on every bag. And prices allover the place.
05-03-2019, 07:46 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sjwomersley Quote
Hello,

I have a K3ii, 16-85mm lens, 55-300mm lens (the newest one with the retractable barrel) and AF540FGZ flash - can anyone recommend a decent camera bag (not a backpack) to accommodate all these plus a few little extras like additional SD cards, lens cleaning pen, wipes etc.?

Not sure if this helps but I always leave the 16-85mm lens attached to my camera.

The brand doesn't matter to me as long as it's good quality

Thanks in advance!

Sam
Camera Bags - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

05-03-2019, 07:55 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have you had a look at the Billingham bags? I have the Hadley large, will get the fStop 1.4 at some stage.

Billingham Bags - Camera, Laptop & Travel Bags - Made in England
05-03-2019, 08:11 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Don't limit yourself to one as that is impossible just like a single lens can't do it all without limitations - assume you will eventually have at least three - not dependent on kit but on purpose of excursion.

So buy accordingly.

Norm's pic works for one purpose but you wouldn't go to a family event dressed like that (Would you?), a domke or Billingham for another purpose, and a Tenba for something else.
05-04-2019, 05:55 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
Don't limit yourself to one as that is impossible just like a single lens can't do it all without limitations - assume you will eventually have at least three - not dependent on kit but on purpose of excursion.

So buy accordingly.

Norm's pic works for one purpose but you wouldn't go to a family event dressed like that (Would you?), a domke or Billingham for another purpose, and a Tenba for something else.
This is true. My Domke is my most used bag, but I have other, more padded bags for storing and transporting my gear. If you find a bag or bags that you like, but find them too expensive, look on Ebay. Good camera bags have a lot of life in them so don't be afraid to buy used.
05-04-2019, 06:04 AM - 2 Likes   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote

So buy accordingly.

You wouldn't? Maybe that's why I never get invited anywhere.

That was a wedding shoot.
05-04-2019, 08:29 AM   #27
Pentaxian

I have a think tank retrospective 30, it fits what you listed plus a square filter pouch and maybe also a binocular. So it's bigger that you'd strictly need, but if a smaller version such as the 7 is within your budget, they're well made and feel nice in use.
05-06-2019, 05:01 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
backpacks are good for carrying, but not for shooting
I tend to agree, except if you use something like the Mindshift Gear rotation180, and/or use a lens pouch attached to your waist, with ideally a Capture Clip on your shoulder strap.
05-06-2019, 05:22 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I tend to agree, except if you use something like the Mindshift Gear rotation180, and/or use a lens pouch attached to your waist, with ideally a Capture Clip on your shoulder strap.
Yep, that's a really innovative back pack. I do use the lens pouches too, especially when I only want one extra lens.