Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-03-2019, 12:41 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
M42 adapter rings review

1st picture : ring from China

avoid absolutely, dangerous for the lens screw thread, metal filins, no infinity focus
but can troubleshoot and is cheap (less than 4 €)

(remove the stopper)

2nd pic : ring from China

Good solution, cheap (less than 5 or 6 €) , but no infinity focus, convenient (can stay on the lens)

3rd pic : Kipon adapter from Germany (or China)
Good adapter ring, a little too tight, flange suitable for russian lenses or with aperture tab on the back.
Infinity focus

A little expensive (about 30 €)
Not sure if it is strong nor good for the lens m42 screw threads (not bad though)

4th pic : Pentax ring from Philippines
The best one (but no flange)
Infinity focus
easy to remove
well machined (best lens screwing)

a little too loose (but doesn't move when lens is on)
seems to be strong
A little expensive (between 20 and 50 €, I had it for 22 €)

05-03-2019, 02:40 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by the scout Quote
Good solution, cheap (less than 5 or 6 €) , but no infinity focus, convenient (can stay on the lens)
....and after a recent post on this site can stay firmly fixed on the camera too.

I have only had need to buy one M42 adapter in 40 years of photography. Why would you even consider not buying the genuine one ?
05-03-2019, 02:55 PM   #3
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
....and after a recent post on this site can stay firmly fixed on the camera too.

I have only had need to buy one M42 adapter in 40 years of photography. Why would you even consider not buying the genuine one ?

exactly - one and only one goes on my camera.... so much so, I bought a camera body just for the M42 adapter....
05-03-2019, 02:58 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I saw that. Something tells me it was placed without the red dots aligned. There was an incident with a brand-X non-flanged adapter a year or so ago that was inserted essentially top-at-bottom. At that time, I was able to determine that the same is possible (with a little effort) with the genuine too.

Steve

05-03-2019, 03:08 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've linked to this in other threads about M42-pk, it's useful comment.

M42-PK adapters - some personal experiences

+1 for the good original Japanese ones ( I have managed to acquire 4 with lenses), however the cheap clone one I have is quite satisfactory too, stiffer to install/remove. There are better flanged ones (chromed brass) readily available than the cheap anodised black one above, and those are recommended kit for me, if you use M42 lenses you might find you use that most often, with longer focal lengths specifically, due to it's like-a-pk-mount (these are always put on the lens first) convenience and security.
05-03-2019, 03:27 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Hello pschlute,
When I found a takumar 50 f4 macro on the bay, I didn't have a ring so I took a cheap one (3€) with fast delivery. I was not satisfied at all (no infinity focus, not well fitted to the camera mount...)
I didn't want to pay the max price for the Pentax genuine.
Finally I found it new at a good price 22€ and as I am starting to collect soviet M42 lenses (Zenitar 16 and Jupiter 9 expected for this summer, with aperture tab at the back, I know it is possible to open the lens and ...) I wanted to try the Kipon with flange. So for the original average price of one genuine Pentax ring (50€), I got a genuine Pentax ring plus a Kipon (with flange).
And as I got two cameras (APSCs and maybe later a Pentax mirrorless full frame ... ) I said myself it wouldn't be a bad thing to get several rings to use simultaneously.
And as it was a little disturbing problem (aperture tab), solved, I wanted to share my experience with some new forumers or pentax users if it can help.

(Otherwise there is the used market)
Maybe I'm wrong but using M42 lenses on digital cameras is a real pleasure !

thank you