Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2019, 11:40 PM   #1

Remotes for K10D from China

Hi,
Simple question on this:
on the 'Bay low-priced remote controls (wireless) are offered for my K10D Pentax.
Are these (copies I expect) usable or are these crap..?
I am very tight on bucks, so something cheap would not be bad for me.

Thanks when you had these thoughts before me and have experienced how these tools qualify and want to tell me your opinion.

lowlandspentax

Attached Images

05-06-2019, 01:36 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've got one that looks like the one on the right in your photo, and it's utterly useless. I've never once managed to get it to work properly when I've needed it, just stabbing at the button over and over again until eventually the signal gets through to the camera at some random moment and the shutter fires when I don't want it to.
05-06-2019, 02:25 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Would you mind to tell the forum, what you need the remote for?
This would help us to make some suggestions.

If you are looking for an infrared remote, try to get a used Pentax F.
Or if you have a smartphone with an IR port, there are some some apps that might work.

Be aware, that IR solutions are not overly reliable in the open on a sunny day. Also their range is limited. Pentax claims 5 meter range for the F.

Next step up would be an yongnuo RF-603 with I think a Canon cable. If you are interested in that solution (which seems to be above your budget), give me a short notice here and I will try mine to be shure if it works. I tested it only once when i bought it and can not remember if it's the Canon or the Nikon version.
05-06-2019, 03:58 AM   #4

Any of the wired remotes with a 2.5mm plug on them will work.

As for wireless remotes try looking at the user reviews on Amazon.

05-06-2019, 07:36 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Yeah, there's a reason you can pick up those generic remotes for about a dollar on eBay. You get what you pay for, at least in my experience. I picked up genuine Pentax remote second hand on eBay for about $3, which works great, at least to fire the shutter indoors. It also has a button with little trees next to it but that doesn't seem to do anything on the K10D. The other nice bonus for the Pentax remote is it fits inside the battery grip, which the generic one I have will not. I wish I could tell you the model number of my Pentax remote but it doesn't seem to have one.

Last edited by E-man; 05-06-2019 at 07:45 AM.
05-06-2019, 11:59 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I had that remote on the left and it served me well for nearly ten years before the "S" button wore out.
If I recall, the "W/T" button never did anything for me, but then again I mostly used it for macro and
studio photography with manual lenses.
05-06-2019, 04:52 PM   #7

As I recall that remote has gotten good reviews.

05-06-2019, 05:06 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lowlandspentax Quote
Hi,
Simple question on this:
on the 'Bay low-priced remote controls (wireless) are offered for my K10D Pentax.
Are these (copies I expect) usable or are these crap..?
I am very tight on bucks, so something cheap would not be bad for me.

Thanks when you had these thoughts before me and have experienced how these tools qualify and want to tell me your opinion.

lowlandspentax
I have one like the one on the right. It works fine, but the batteries tend to go flat rather quickly, I find. I keep a spare battery just in case. For the little money, it a good solution.