Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-16-2019, 04:33 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
O-ICK1 Sensor Cleaner

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

This could be the most stupid question ever asked here. I have just bought the Pentax Sensor Cleaning Kit and I am not completely sure which piece of the cleaning sheets I use to clean the cleaning tool. There is a transparent plastic sheet attached to a paper backing. Do I use the plastic or the paper?

05-16-2019, 04:36 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is no stupid question, the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask. That said, you use the paper one, not the plastic one.
05-16-2019, 04:38 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
There is no stupid question, the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask. That said, you use the paper one, not the plastic one.
Thanks for the quick reply. The instructions didn't really make it clear

05-16-2019, 04:42 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

You're welcome! I also have same O-ick1 stick sensor cleaner, so I knew what to use.

05-16-2019, 05:30 AM   #5
Veteran Member

When I got my kit a few years ago, it wasn't clear to me either how to use it correctly, so I looked up a short clip on YouTube, which was a lot of help.

I don't remember the actual video, and it's been way too long to be able to find it in my history, but I did a search and found lots of clips. If anything, they serve to build up enough confidence for a good clean without excessive cautiousness.
05-16-2019, 05:36 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I just have a good memory even at my age of almost 70.
05-16-2019, 08:19 AM   #7
Pentaxian

The bits of paper are disposable -- they are supposed to grab the dirt you've collected onto the gel thing. And so the plastic is to keep the paper things clean until you use them. (Good idea to keep the whole kit in a ziplock.)

05-16-2019, 08:59 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
(Good idea to keep the whole kit in a ziplock.)
Actually, that's where I keep mine.
05-19-2019, 12:34 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Actually, that's where I keep mine.
I think I will do the same. It's a shame that it doesn't come with a protective box like some others I've seen.

I wonder why Amazon are charging £43.70 when at Bristol Cameras it is £25. That is a massive difference.

05-19-2019, 08:05 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
I think I will do the same. It's a shame that it doesn't come with a protective box like some others I've seen.

I wonder why Amazon are charging £43.70 when at Bristol Cameras it is £25. That is a massive difference.
It is a shame that it doesn't come in a protective case, especially since the goo on the end can dry out and make it useless over time.

As to why it's more expensive at Amazon, I wouldn't even guess that one, I paid more than that, i.e., $70USD, and I bought mine from B&H photo/video store, in New York several years ago.
05-19-2019, 08:37 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
I keep mine in the original packaging that it came in. It’s a typical clamshell and paper box with a shelf hanger on top.
05-19-2019, 08:48 PM - 1 Like   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I keep mine in the original packaging that it came in. It’s a typical clamshell and paper box with a shelf hanger on top.
Yeah, mine came in one of those too but moving from place to place and packing and unpacking has done a number on that nice package, now it's not as nice as when it was new.
05-20-2019, 03:38 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Don't think mine is a clamshell. It looks like this.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RICOH-O-ICK1-39357-Image-Sensor-Cleaning-Kit-for-...-/111797739737

05-22-2019, 09:46 PM   #14

I have an Eyelead sensor gel stick, which is basically the same thing. Comes in a metal case.

Sensor Gel Stick

Best DSLR Sensor Cleaning Kit | Sensor Gel Stick