Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2019, 09:59 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K-1 Hot Shoe Cover

I've seen some folks on this forum looking for replacement K-1 hot shoe covers. Last week I finally lost mine and looked for a replacement on-line thinking I might have to make a compromise with a third party cover (wanted the original if possible).

Amazon is carrying the JJC HC-PK cover which is a China product but it appears to be the OEM cover which Ricoh used. I purchased two to see what they were and they look identical including the underneath recess. I was considering the 3D printing approach but with these available, I plan to stock up on a couple more just in case. Thought I'd pass this along to those who might be looking or have a mishap in the future.

This is also listed as a cover for the K-3 II, K-S2, 645Z, 645D, K3, K5, K5II, K5IIs, K30, K50, K200D, Q, Q10, and Q-S1 cameras.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NFGBFXM/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?...&ie=UTF8&psc=1

05-16-2019, 12:18 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When I lost mine from my K-3, I replaced it with a hot shoe bubble level. Fits my K-1 as well.

amazon.com : 4Pack Camera Hot Shoe Level Hot Shoe Cover Hot Shoe Mount Protectors Bubble Spirit Level fits DSLR Camera Canon Sony Nikon Panasonic Fujifilm Olympus Pentax and More : Gateway?tag=pentaxforums-20&
05-16-2019, 12:23 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Brings up a question: Don't Nikon, Canon, Pentax hot shoe covers all work mix an match with each other, in other words same size?
05-16-2019, 01:14 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I saw this on eBay in case you are interested. I don't have experience with the product, but it may possibly be what you need. According to the listing it ships from within the U.S..

JJC HC-PK Hot Shoe Cover For Pentax K-3 II K-S2 645Z 645D K3 K5 0887961083804 | eBay

05-16-2019, 01:33 PM   #5
Lens Hoarder
Loyal Site Supporter

I found one on top of my dresser that had been missing for over a year.
05-16-2019, 05:11 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax has been using the same cover (Hot Shoe Cover FK) for pretty much forever (original K-series). The genuine is not hard to source. That being said, there is no advantage to staying with the Pentax brand part. The cover is not required for the water seals to work and has no real proprietary functionality.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-16-2019 at 05:19 PM.
05-16-2019, 05:13 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Brings up a question: Don't Nikon, Canon, Pentax hot shoe covers all work mix an match with each other, in other words same size?
The width of the hot shoes are the same (ISO standard), but the Pentax cover is designed to work with an index tab at the front. Without the appropriate cut-out, a replacement will not provide full coverage. Example...The Nikon BS-1 will fit, but only with a gap at the front.

Steve
05-16-2019, 06:19 PM   #8
Lens Hoarder
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Pentax has been using the same cover (Hot Shoe Cover FK) for pretty much forever (original K-series). The genuine is not hard to source. That being said, there is no advantage to staying with the Pentax brand part. The cover is not required for the water seals to work and has no real proprietary functionality.

Steve
Years ago I bought a supply of the FK covers as an add-on to get to the free shipping dollar amount. Of course I haven't lost one since.

05-16-2019, 06:31 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The width of the hot shoes are the same (ISO standard), but the Pentax cover is designed to work with an index tab at the front. Without the appropriate cut-out, a replacement will not provide full coverage. Example...The Nikon BS-1 will fit, but only with a gap at the front.

Steve
Thanks for clarifying that.
05-16-2019, 06:56 PM - 2 Likes   #10

Easy enough to find. Just use a search engine on "Pentax FK cover 31040"

All the major US Authorized Pentax online dealers sells them. In Europe, Ricoh Imaging and SRS sells them.
05-17-2019, 02:55 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Any more, when I get a new camera, I just take the hot shoe cover off and put it in the box. It just gets lost otherwise and it isn't necessary for sealing or anything like that.
05-17-2019, 06:14 AM   #12

Yes, the cover is more cosmetic than anything. Although it could help to keep from getting gunk on the contacts or in the lock pin socket. After looking at one of the service manuals it is clear that the flash shoe is weather sealed.
05-18-2019, 12:04 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
I saw this on eBay in case you are interested. I don't have experience with the product, but it may possibly be what you need. According to the listing it ships from within the U.S..

JJC HC-PK Hot Shoe Cover For Pentax K-3 II K-S2 645Z 645D K3 K5 0887961083804 | eBay
Good source also. The ebay cover is identical to the one from Amazon but if you have Amazon Prime that source (Amazon) is about $1US cheaper. Otherwise, ebay would probably beat the price if you have to pay Amazon shipping.

I've thought about the bubble level covers, but when installed, are they calibrated that well, and with the K-1 level indications in the viewfinder (and rear screen in liveview), a bubble level is unnecessary, though there are times it is nice just to be able to look at the camera an check to see if it is level. I think I'll try one of these some day and see how well it agrees with the internal K-1 leveling indicators.

---------- Post added 05-18-2019 at 01:08 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Yes, the cover is more cosmetic than anything. Although it could help to keep from getting gunk on the contacts or in the lock pin socket. After looking at one of the service manuals it is clear that the flash shoe is weather sealed.
Weather sealed but not gunk sealed. If "gunk" manages to get into the hot shoe, it can be a real pain. A cover is worth having for sure. Even with moisture from rain, the contacts can undergo corrosion so keeping them dry is worthwhile (noting that a cap is not an absolute seal, but it does retard what comes from above).