Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2019, 11:38 AM   #1

Wireless receiver for Yongnuo flash

I bought a pttl Yongnuo flash - 585 EX (amazon.com : YONGNUO YN585EX Wireless Camera Flash Speedlite with P-TTL Function for Pentax Digital Cameras : Gateway?tag=pentaxforums-20&)

Now it was advertised to have the wireless capability. What I did not realize is that Ks2 does not offer wireless flash communication feature. So I need to buy a wireless flash receiver. I can see the following on Amazon for ~$30

amazon.com : Yongnuo Professional Flash Trigger RF-603 II N3 for Canon Pentax Olympus Camera Nikon D7000 D5100 D5000 D3100 D90 D600 : Gateway?tag=pentaxforums-20&

Has anyone used it? Does it work with Pentax? Also, do I need a receiver and transmitter both? Technically my flash has wireless, so I only need a transmitter for my hot shoe. Does Yongnuo sell it individually or is it always receiver and transmitter pair

05-25-2019, 12:00 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If your camera has "optical wireless" transmitter capacity then any flash that claims to have "optical Pentax compatibility" features should work. If your Ks2 does not offer "optical wireless" feature then the best route is to look at radio triggers. You will require one transmitter on the camera and one reciever on the flash. I use Cactus V6II transcievers with my K1. I cannot be specific to your camera I am afraid.
05-25-2019, 12:25 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks. Ks2 has optical capabilities. The challenge is that it lights up the subject with the pop-up flash. Unlike off camera flash which I can bounce, direct pop-up flash creates harsh shadows
05-25-2019, 01:33 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gbhati01 Quote
Thanks. Ks2 has optical capabilities. The challenge is that it lights up the subject with the pop-up flash. Unlike off camera flash which I can bounce, direct pop-up flash creates harsh shadows
Then you need to be able to put the pop up flash in Controller mode , not Master. If that is not possible on your model your best bet is radio triggers.

05-25-2019, 01:40 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I'm not familiar with the KS2, but generally, if its popup flash can act as an optical wireless master, you can dial back its power several stops to just act as fill-in, with the off-camera flash doing the heavy lifting. And if it can act as a controller (the KS2 manual is not clear on this), its output is effectively zero.
05-25-2019, 01:51 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Ks2 has optical capabilities.
If by 'optical capabilities' you mean acting as wireless P-TTL controller, the answer is 'no'. If you want wireless P-TTL master, you need external flash (like AF-360FGZ). The combination you described most likely will not work, at least Younguo manual does not mention wireless slave mode in conjunction with RF 603 - it would be a shame if in fact such combo does not work, I have used RF 603 with Yongnuo 560 IV and with K-S2 without any problems. However, even if it does work, you have to keep in mind that RF 603 is basic flash trigger, not a master unit, so there will be no control over slave unit besides triggering the flash.

Last edited by pentageek; 05-25-2019 at 02:03 PM. Reason: update
05-25-2019, 02:03 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use Cactus V5 triggers with a Yongnuo YN585EX and my Pentax flashes (3 AF360FGZ units). They are very reliable and do an excellent job. There are newer Cactus units that you can buy also, but the V5 enables the off camera shooting in an efficient way. The V5 units are labeled as "transceivers", meaning that any of the units can be used as a transmitter or receiver. This is an internet address to a listing of the V5 units (a pair) at B and H in case you are interested (below).

Cactus Wireless Flash Transceiver V5 Duo CACV5DUO B&H Photo

Please note that triggers, such as the type I mentioned above, will perform much more effectively than the "optical triggering" method.
05-25-2019, 04:30 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the YN585, and it does not have a radio receiver. It's "wireless" capabilities are optical only. The RF-603 will not trigger it, unless you use *two* RF-603s and treat the YN585 as a completely manual flash with no P-TTL.

I also have a small collection of YN560 IIIs (manual flash with radio receiver) and RF-603Ns. I use them when I need range or multiple flashes, and the YN585 when I need P-TTL.

Futile attempt to head off the "Yongnuo is stupid for not making the YN585 both P-TTL and RF-603 compatible" posts: So far, YongNuo has only made ONE flash that worked with both their RF-603 system and an OEM system (the YN968N for Nikon). I think the YN585 was them dipping their toe in the Pentax world to see if we were worth bothering with. It's a minor miracle that they did that much. Given the amount of negativity at the YN585's release because YN didn't go all-in on the first try, I doubt we'll ever see something like a YN968P.

Last edited by THoog; 05-25-2019 at 04:54 PM.
05-25-2019, 06:51 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Ks2 does not have optical flash trigger. I use my Pentax360 as controller for the yn585. A synch cord if great for many things and is the most reliable.
05-29-2019, 02:51 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks, I ordered the RF 603. Let's see how it works