Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
05-25-2019, 05:28 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Apache 5800 Nice Pelican Knockoff

I picked up an Apache 5800 Rolling Carry-On Case today at Harbor Freight Tools. It lists for $89.99 and I had a $20.00 off coupon. Doing the boat racing photos I'm outdoors all the time. I was able to fit both my K200D with DA 18-55mm and K-3 with DA* 60-250mm and HD 1.4X AF Tele Converter all attached. Also Metz flash and stand. Spare batteries and chargers and other misc. odds and ends.

This will allow me to be able to quickly pull things out and put them away without taking things apart in sometimes wet or dusty conditions. I think this will workout well as it is superior protection for my gear when traveling to and from.

Just thought I would pass this along for anyone who is interested.

05-25-2019, 05:41 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I picked up an Apache case awhile ago, too. Haven't tried to fit stuff in there just yet, but definitely will be doing so soon. Good tip to share - Harbor Freight has some amazing prices for equipment that rivals some big brands!
05-26-2019, 09:55 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thanks for the heads up

Got this thread marked.
05-26-2019, 01:13 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the Apache 4800, knock off of Pelican 1520. Picked it up when the local Harbor Freight store introduced them. They had it on sale for $49.99, (base price $59.99), used a 25% off coupon and got for $37.49. Conversely a Pelican 1520 is about $150.00. It provides more protection than I will every need. I keep my bodies and lenses in it. I use an old video camera shoulder bag for all my accessories. It easily holds everything I use. Currently it carries a DA 300mm, Pentax K70 with DFA 28-105mm attached, DA 55-300mm PLM, Pentax A 28mm, DA 18-55mm, and a K50 body. I think I left room to add a DA15mm and a 1.4x teleconverter in the future.

05-26-2019, 01:24 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pelican cases are the wrong dimensions, i.e. they do not fit my budget. Thanks for this tip. I guess these are made for power tools etc. but they will definitely work well for photo gear. I will investigate about the availability of such things in my part of the world. Thanks for the tip.

Edit: a quick search turned up this one, available from a local chain (owned by Walmart, incidentally). Priced at less than USD40. It looks promising, but I will have to visit the nearest store to check if it comes with a foam liner.

Last edited by Wasp; 05-26-2019 at 01:35 PM.
05-26-2019, 02:58 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Not to be a spoil sport and I do love good lower-priced gear, but how is the water resistance of this case? Have any of you owners tested it on the water with dummy weight for ballast?

I would not ask except that I was on a white water rafting trip several years ago where one of the rafters had a Pelican-type case leak badly ruining a digital camera and other kit. Water literally poured out when the latch was released.

Steve
05-26-2019, 03:50 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Not to be a spoil sport and I do love good lower-priced gear, but how is the water resistance of this case? Have any of you owners tested it on the water with dummy weight for ballast? ...
I did test it for water tightness in my bath tub by sloshing it around, flipping it over, submersing the seams and pressure relief port, etc. I even turn the shower on it, but I did not have any weight in it. It came out bone dry on the inside. Now, how long will that last, I don't know. The build quality and tightness seems very good to me.

05-26-2019, 05:13 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Not to be a spoil sport and I do love good lower-priced gear, but how is the water resistance of this case? Have any of you owners tested it on the water with dummy weight for ballast?

I would not ask except that I was on a white water rafting trip several years ago where one of the rafters had a Pelican-type case leak badly ruining a digital camera and other kit. Water literally poured out when the latch was released.

Steve
For my expected use it should not be an issue. However my white water rafting days are behind me! If that was how it was going to be used I might be a bit more picky. It does have a nice thick o-ring seal around the perimeter and nice positive latches. Any type of waterproof case can fail especially if something gets closed in the seal or in this case there is a pressure relief valve. If that is left open that also is a potential leak. My expectations for this case were something that would hold both bodies and lenses along with accessories and protect them from sudden downpours or blowing dust. Also ease of storage. Both cameras and lenses fit without disassembly which is a real plus for me. My equipment is ready to go right out of the case.
05-27-2019, 09:09 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I found that the smallest one did not seem as sturdy or line up as well as the larger cases in this brand. I think the size you chose is the sweet spot for warp resistance and build quality.
06-22-2019, 09:12 AM - 1 Like   #10
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Steve
For many of us, never going near water; I would not need extreme water resistance in a case.

However, the 5800 is rated IP 65 watertight:

"IP65 Enclosures
Able to protect against water jets
Water projected by a nozzle (6.3 mm) against enclosure from any direction shall have no harmful effects.
Test duration: at least 15 minutes
Water volume: 12.5 litres per minute
Pressure: 30 kPa at distance of 3 m"

Last edited by csa; 06-22-2019 at 09:19 AM.
06-23-2019, 08:32 AM   #11
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
IMHO the value of the kit contained within the case outweighs the "knock off" factor.

I have used the "The Real McCoy" (Pelican, Peli in UK) for years without issue, no matter what conditions I've encountered or thrown at them.
03-19-2020, 08:25 AM   #12

Several of the Other Apache Case models are available in Colors Other than Black !!! YELLOW , Orange , Tan , Green ! Does anyone know if They also make the Aoache 5800 case In Any other color than Black ??? Dont see any other color on. The HatborFrieght website ? For that case !!! I can live With Black but it's nice too have Options !!!!
03-20-2020, 10:53 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bigtoxy69 Quote
Several of the Other Apache Case models are available in Colors Other than Black !!! YELLOW , Orange , Tan , Green ! Does anyone know if They also make the Aoache 5800 case In Any other color than Black ??? Dont see any other color on. The HatborFrieght website ? For that case !!! I can live With Black but it's nice too have Options !!!!
Welcome aboard. I have only seen black at Harbor Freight. I have the smallest one and keep my Geiger counter in it. Sturdy little case. Does it's job.
02-13-2022, 08:59 PM   #14

The Apache 5800 is excellent! I've been using mine for more than a year to keep my camera gear safe. If you're skeptical, here's a side-by-side comparison video I produced on my Youtube channel: