Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2008, 09:52 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Come on. The good old days wheren't that great. The checking account wasn't free as it is now. The printer didn't come with a cable. A 2 mpx DSLR cost $4,000. The stove or dryer doesn't come with a power cord. The washer doesn't come with required hoses. I paid $550 for a 20mb hard drive in the eighties and was happy at that. It is amazing how cheap things are today when you consider inflation. An' I don't have Charley Viet-cong shooting at me, like he did back in the seventies.

Dave

QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
It's absolutely a valid marketing tool, and there are many corollaries: buy a printer and it comes with ink/toner, buy a washer/dryer you get a small box of detergent and softener, buy a car you usually get a full tank of gas and a free oil change, buy a kitchen appliance you at least get a recipe booklet.
Heck back in the '70s if you opened a checking account the bank gave you a toaster! Nowdays though they give you a kick in the teeth.

So including a small memory card when you buy a camera & lens kit makes all the sense in the world. The K2000 camera/lens/flash kit is actually quite smart on Pentax' part and all it lacks to be the perfect complete DSLR starter kit is the memory card. Non-shutterbug Moms and Dads with kids wanting to get into photography should eat it up - providing Pentax Marketing doesn't miss the boat on this.

10-08-2008, 11:28 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Big Dave Quote
Come on. The good old days wheren't that great. The checking account wasn't free as it is now. The printer didn't come with a cable. A 2 mpx DSLR cost $4,000. The stove or dryer doesn't come with a power cord. The washer doesn't come with required hoses. I paid $550 for a 20mb hard drive in the eighties and was happy at that. It is amazing how cheap things are today when you consider inflation. An' I don't have Charley Viet-cong shooting at me, like he did back in the seventies.

Dave
But... the Savings account was free and it paid 5.25% interest minimum. You got 20MB for $550? Sweet!!!!!!
I can remember back in '81 that $3K got you a box of computer parts that you had to assemble and you didn't even get a hard drive ... those were for mainframes ya know ... if you were lucky you got 5.25" floppy rather than 8" or possibly a tape drive. And the "internet" was a 300 baud accoustic modem connection to a mini you paid by the CPU cycle to access. Boy, now them were fun times!
10-08-2008, 11:47 PM   #18
Veteran Member

LOL that reminds me, many years ago I bought a Panasonic LZ20 (on release pretty much) and it came with a free Panasonic SD card...

A whole 16MB LOL, very worthwhile ;-)
10-09-2008, 07:06 AM   #19
Ed in GA

I can just hear the complaints now....

"It wasn't big enough."

"I don't like that brand."

&

etc.

10-09-2008, 04:28 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Memory is cheap and getting cheaper.

IM still drooling on the 64gb CF card that out now

cheers
10-09-2008, 04:40 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by joele Quote
LOL that reminds me, many years ago I bought a Panasonic LZ20 (on release pretty much) and it came with a free Panasonic SD card...

A whole 16MB LOL, very worthwhile ;-)
My Optio 550 came with one of those too, Panasonic 16MB. I still have it.
10-10-2008, 11:10 AM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
My Optio 550 came with one of those too, Panasonic 16MB. I still have it.
Me too - it's the one with the firmware update on it in my camera bag...

10-10-2008, 11:35 AM   #23
Veteran Member

This would really be a neat idea, especially for first-time DSLR owners.

Why not bundle a K2000/K-m with a 2 GB ho-hum SD card? It's good for 200+ shots of max quality JPEG. That would make the first camera you can start using straight away; no additional purchase required.