Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2008, 03:16 PM   #1
Damn Brit

It amazes me

It amazes me why the memory card manufacturers don't get together with the Camera manufacturers and provide a freebie memory card with new cameras.
Alright, someone loses out on the sale of one card but who sticks with one card. Giving one away free so that people can really start shooting straight out of the box would create brand recognition and increase the chances of people sticking with that brand when they buy more cards. Instead of looking for the cheapest, people will look for the lowest price for that particular brand.
Just me putting my thoughts down.

10-08-2008, 03:47 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
If the camera does come with a card, it's usualy way too small to be very useful anyway.. Thats the first thing I replace when I get a new camera with a card.. mind you, the last few didnt come with one
10-08-2008, 03:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
One reason may be the volatility of the memory market. It seems like every six months they are coming out with larger capacities, driving the prices down on existing cards.

One idea might be to include a coupon for discount on a specific brand regardless of size.
10-08-2008, 05:04 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
It amazes me why the memory card manufacturers don't get together with the Camera manufacturers and provide a freebie memory card with new cameras.
Alright, someone loses out on the sale of one card but who sticks with one card. Giving one away free so that people can really start shooting straight out of the box would create brand recognition and increase the chances of people sticking with that brand when they buy more cards. Instead of looking for the cheapest, people will look for the lowest price for that particular brand.
I don't see why they would include a card when it would reduce their revenue. Camera makers are trying to reduce the cost of the kit, not increase it. I would be annoyed at having to pay for a card that I didn't want or need.

10-08-2008, 05:10 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Memory is cheap and getting cheaper.
10-08-2008, 05:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

And washing machines in the U.S.A. came with a box of Tide detergent years ago. Started a lot of households into using that brand detergent.
10-08-2008, 05:15 PM   #7
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeH Quote
I don't see why they would include a card when it would reduce their revenue. Camera makers are trying to reduce the cost of the kit, not increase it. I would be annoyed at having to pay for a card that I didn't want or need.
Something like this wouldn't cost the camera makers anything, the card manufacturers would carry the cost and it should be worth it to them to get the customer from the get go.
Everyone needs a card when they buy their first digital camera whether they want it or not. Usually that first card is whatever the camera store is making the most profit on at the time. They don't care whether it's any good or not, the camera and card companies do so the customer is in a win win situation and the card manufacturer will likely make up their losses on future sales.

10-08-2008, 05:28 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think with as much as you pay for a DSLR, they could at least include a 1 gig card, to get you started. If they buy in bulk, I bet it would MAYBE cost them $1 a card..
10-08-2008, 05:28 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Don't know about your location but lots of camera promotions here already bundle free memory cards. These are usually the cheap regular memory cards that don't have blazing transfer speeds.

At any rate memory cards are cheap. Here I can get a Lexar Platinum II 60x 4GB SD card with SDHC card reader for about US$18 or a Sandisk Extreme III 4GB SDHC with card reader for about US$30 or so. With a Kingston Elite Pro 60x 2 GB it is only about US$9 here in Singapore.
10-08-2008, 06:57 PM   #10
Veteran Member

In my opinion, if they are to include some 32MB card, they shouldn't include it at all. All the cards that came with my cameras are taking up space in my desk drawer. No use for them, but because they are brand new, I do not want to throw them out. I am also not sure that I will stick to the brand that came with my camera. Back in the film days, I prefered Fuji slide over Kodak so if they would include Kodak, I would go and buy Fuji anyway.
10-08-2008, 07:56 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I am actually glad they stopped including memory card now. Back then they came with tiny memory which was practically useless and a waste of resource. I rather buy something useful than have something useless free.
10-08-2008, 08:07 PM   #12
Damn Brit

I never mentioned anything about tiny memory cards. A 1 or 2 gig card would be entirely sufficient to get someone started.
My second memory card was the same brand as the first one that the camera store sold me. I started with a 1 gig card and it was all I needed, it was easily equal to a roll of film.
10-08-2008, 09:03 PM   #13
Veteran Member

those little cards are good for something... using in photo frames! We bought the parents frames for Xmas and then had to find some memory cards... should have asked you lot cause I didn't get any from local sources!!!

But yes, they should come with a decent card or nothing. Internal memory (on compacts) is a joke too!
10-08-2008, 09:06 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote

People would complain about the card...
10-08-2008, 09:14 PM   #15
Veteran Member

It's absolutely a valid marketing tool, and there are many corollaries: buy a printer and it comes with ink/toner, buy a washer/dryer you get a small box of detergent and softener, buy a car you usually get a full tank of gas and a free oil change, buy a kitchen appliance you at least get a recipe booklet.
Heck back in the '70s if you opened a checking account the bank gave you a toaster! Nowdays though they give you a kick in the teeth.

So including a small memory card when you buy a camera & lens kit makes all the sense in the world. The K2000 camera/lens/flash kit is actually quite smart on Pentax' part and all it lacks to be the perfect complete DSLR starter kit is the memory card. Non-shutterbug Moms and Dads with kids wanting to get into photography should eat it up - providing Pentax Marketing doesn't miss the boat on this.