Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2019, 02:22 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Do you carry a multi tool in your camera bag ?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I carry a small Micro Leatherman. It has scissors, knife, tweezers, file, screwdrivers, etc. Haven't used it a lot, but sometimes over the years it has been handy to have.

06-21-2019, 02:25 PM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I do - I've used it several times....
06-21-2019, 02:33 PM - 4 Likes   #3
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
No I don't have one
The only 'tool' is carrying the bag...

Dave
06-21-2019, 02:45 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My trusty old Victorinox boy-scout penknife-cum-lots of other things is in there, as well as a LED torch.

06-21-2019, 02:58 PM   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't carry one in my bag, but I usually carry a Victorinox Spartan pocket knife in the back pocket of my jeans. It's a simple two-layer model, but manages to pack in large and small blades, can opener, 3mm and 6mm flat screwdrivers, bottle opener (important ), corkscrew (vitally important ), wire stripper, reamer, punch, toothpick, tweezers and key-ring. I also have the mini screwdriver accessory (for spectacles etc.) that threads into the corkscrew for storage.

I've had my current Spartan for many years (20+, I'd guess), and the scales are looking very dulled and battered now... but aside from that, it's as good as the day I bought it. For me, it's the perfect tool. I also have a Victorinox pocket sharpener which includes a grinding stone and ceramic "V" notch, and does a really good job of keeping the knife blades near-razor-sharp. It takes a good while for Victorinox pocket knives to lose their edge unless you really abuse them, but like any other knife they benefit from occasional sharpening and/or honing.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 06-21-2019 at 03:04 PM.
06-21-2019, 02:58 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Yep. Gerber suspension and Gerber dime
06-21-2019, 03:30 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

No, though I do have tools specific to my tripod stuff in that bag.

Steve

06-21-2019, 04:06 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
wedding photographers should carry some white cotton and a sewing needle, if needed by the bride they'll be a legend forever
06-21-2019, 04:42 PM   #9

It is risky theese days. Security scanners are not just at the airports, they are everywhere. I had to throw my Victorinox into the bin going to Liberty Island in New York 6 years ago.
06-22-2019, 02:25 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Do you carry a multi tool in your camera bag ?
Since less is more, I only carry two allen key, together with the IR remote in the small front pocket of the camera bag:
- one allen key to mount / unmount the L bracket (attaching BG-6 requires to unmount the L bracket), also works for arca plate screws.

- one smaller allen key to tighten the tripod removable plate in the center (tripod can have a center column or direct attach, the plate is a different one for each case), because it can loosen when the tripod gets car vibrations during transport. I always have the key to tighten it up in case, just to make sure the head tripod head is well secured.

If I carry a knife, or knife/fork/spoon combi, it's not going to be with the camera, it's going to be with the food carried for a meal outdoor. Usually will find a tree trunk at a nice forest place to sit on for lunch and have a cut of coffee made with hot water from the thermos.

---------- Post added 22-06-19 at 11:30 ----------

I'll also carry an apple or two (not the ones from Steve Jobs).
06-22-2019, 02:42 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A swiss knife like the one BigMackCam described and a coin to fasten my Arca Swiss compatible Novoflex plates and L-brackets. If I‘m on a tour by bike in addition a Topeak Alien II multitool.
06-22-2019, 03:14 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For my camera bag I too use the Leatherman Micra, the same model OP mentioned.
It is small and unobtrusive, 1/4 the size of most popular models, and so no burden to carry.
The scissors are relatively large and sharp. They come in handy to trim torn film leaders etc.
The only downside of this model is that it lacks pliers, which I seldom require anyway.

Chris
06-22-2019, 04:21 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is what's in my bag:
Attached Images

06-22-2019, 05:16 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I carry an original Leatherman multi tool in my bag. I also wear a Leatherman Tread bracelet. The Tread is a 29 tool bracelet that you wear and will go through security even TSA at the airport. I have actually used it many times.
06-22-2019, 05:57 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I used to but now, because of airport security, no longer. If I need something when I am travelling, I either pack in checked luggage, or buy at destination. I have, for example an interesting collection of pocket knives, some of which are likely considered illegal, at least in some jurisdictions