Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
06-22-2019, 06:04 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My multitool was packed in checked luggage, and despite this it got confiscated at the airport

06-22-2019, 06:40 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
Do you carry a multi tool in your camera bag ?
No, but there have been lots of times where I wished I had.
06-22-2019, 08:28 AM   #18
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

here is a simple tool which would assist most photographers

it lacks any sort of blade but does have an flat edge screwdriver and an Allen wrench

PMG multi tool Photographers Multi-Tool 4mm Allen Wrench and Flat-Head Key Chain-Tool

Read more at: PMG multi tool Photographers Multi-Tool 4mm Allen Wrench and Flat-Head Key Chain-Tool reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

as a kid, I carried a pen knife

as an adult, I carried one and then changed to a multi tool

but with the changes in security throughout the nation, I have stopped carrying any thing .

Last edited by aslyfox; 06-22-2019 at 08:33 AM.
06-22-2019, 09:02 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If nor travelling overseas, I usually carry a Gerber Suspension ( though I've almost never needed to use it), [and often a spanner for tighteningbits on the tripod, a Lee screwdriver for the filter holder and usually a coin or allen key for the varous types of quick release plate that don't use the Manfrotto type system - they're just there by default in my bag, so I don't repack with need in mind each time. On a longer trip away from home I might take some mini-screwdrivers compatible with camera and lens screws.]*

* extra information free

06-22-2019, 10:27 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Always. But I have to be careful when going to the airport. I have to put it in my check in luggage. And if I do not have a check in baggage, I have to leave it home. Over the years they have taken so many pocket knives from me that I got sick of it. I used to get a ton of Canon promotional knives from my friend who was a Canon rep. They must have taken a dozen or so of those and other knives from me at the airport. So now that I have a Leatherman multi-tool, I cannot afford to give TSA a free gift!
06-23-2019, 08:24 AM   #21
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Of course I do... a Leatherman, 3 Legged Thing Toolz, Maglite Flashlight and rolls of gaffer tape, it's part of being professional about what you do... also a bottle opener and a corkscrew, all bases covered.
06-23-2019, 10:28 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pentageek Quote
My multitool was packed in checked luggage, and despite this it got confiscated at the airport

Several eBay sellers seem to specialize in selling used multi-tools.
Likely they are TSA-confiscated ones purchased in quantity at government auctions.

Chris

07-07-2019, 06:56 AM   #23
Pentaxian

My last tool is in Taiwan at airport security... I carry Allen wrenches for quick release plates and tripod/flash gear. Some cameras come with tools.
07-09-2019, 12:55 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I have a 3 Legged Thing Toolz in every camera bag I own. 3 Legged Thing include these with almost any product they sell, and they were handing them out at Photokina as well, so I have quite a few of these. I find this covers most of my photography related needs for a tool.

The only thing it doesn't help with is filters that are stuck on lenses. For that I have a cheap flat plastic wrench (one for large filters and one for small ones), similar to this: amazon.com : 2pcs Camera Lens Filter Remove Wrench Set Kit Filter Wrench for 62-77mm (62mm/67mm/72mm/77mm) : Everything Else?tag=pentaxforums-20& . Note that I only paid 5 EUR for mine.

No problem in airports with these...

hth, Wim
07-09-2019, 04:37 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I never leave house without my classic Leatherman, not in my camera bag but on my jeans belt.
It did serve me well for nearly 40 years, it still looks and perform like brand new.
07-15-2019, 05:59 PM   #26
Pentaxian

I came close to confiscation at the airport a couple of times and since then only carry plastic filter wrenches and a couple of hex keys for my tripod (both of which I've needed several times, plus a 2AAA 100-lumen Maglite. Probably a mini-screwdriver set would be a good idea.
07-15-2019, 06:23 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I never leave home without my Leatherman. Sometimes, I leave home without my K-1!
07-15-2019, 10:27 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I never leave home without my Leatherman. Sometimes, I leave home without my K-1!
Over the years I've picked up a variety of multi tools, Leatherman and Victorinix Swiss tool, which I find the best for heavy duty, serious work. One Leatherman is in the car, the other multi tools are in the house...always ready for action.

But...as I mentioned before, the one I carry in a pants pocket...always...except on flights...is my old, very small small Leatherman Micro tool. It's in it's equally small Leatherman case. Think I've had it for almost three decades. Can't get 'em anymore, which is a real shame as this little device is consistently handy for a variety of functions.

I was at Cabelas a month or so ago and while they have a very small Gerber and newer small Leatherman, when I checked them out carefully...I just didn't feel they were up to my vintage micro tool's standards. But that is me, perhaps.

In my rear wheel drive van, I used to carry a tool kit, including an open/closed wrench set, a socket set...both metric/SAE...a bending beam torque wrench, couple of vice grips, screwdriver set, a hammer, etc...when we towed our camping trailer. This was 20-30 years ago and usually I would have some need to fix something, invariably the trailer.

We don't have a trailer anymore..so no more carrying a tool kit. Nowadays modern vehicles are too complex for me to figure out and it's easier to call CAA.

Last edited by lesmore49; 07-15-2019 at 10:36 PM.
07-16-2019, 02:15 PM - 1 Like   #29
PDL
Pentaxian

I always carried my Leatherman Micra with me over the last 20+ years. Before that I always carried my Boy Scout wanabe pocket knife or had it in my drawer at work (to slice apples). However, I had an old man moment on our trip to Alaska and I forgot to put it into my checked luggage (usually in a extra pants pocket - so literally it was in my other pants). When I got to the security check-in, I donated it to the TSA. Bummer. I have not used one of my round-to-its to get a new Micra, but that will happen in the near future - before we go to Yellowstone in September.
07-16-2019, 04:31 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Over the years I've picked up a variety of multi tools, Leatherman and Victorinix Swiss tool, which I find the best for heavy duty, serious work. One Leatherman is in the car, the other multi tools are in the house...always ready for action.

But...as I mentioned before, the one I carry in a pants pocket...always...except on flights...is my old, very small small Leatherman Micro tool. It's in it's equally small Leatherman case. Think I've had it for almost three decades. Can't get 'em anymore, which is a real shame as this little device is consistently handy for a variety of functions.

I was at Cabelas a month or so ago and while they have a very small Gerber and newer small Leatherman, when I checked them out carefully...I just didn't feel they were up to my vintage micro tool's standards. But that is me, perhaps.

In my rear wheel drive van, I used to carry a tool kit, including an open/closed wrench set, a socket set...both metric/SAE...a bending beam torque wrench, couple of vice grips, screwdriver set, a hammer, etc...when we towed our camping trailer. This was 20-30 years ago and usually I would have some need to fix something, invariably the trailer.

We don't have a trailer anymore..so no more carrying a tool kit. Nowadays modern vehicles are too complex for me to figure out and it's easier to call CAA.
When you have a Landrover you carry lots of tools and spares!