Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
07-16-2019, 06:18 PM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
When you have a Landrover you carry lots of tools and spares!
Years ago a work colleague had a Chevy Suburban. He was an avid outdoorsman out here in western Canada and hunts, fishes, snowmobiles. He carries tools...anything you can think of including a large 'come along' jack. In fact he had a trailer, that he pulled behind the Sub where he could put two snowmobiles on, and then stuff in another snowmobile in the back cargo area ...first and second row seats folded down, of his big Chevy truck. Had a bench seat in the front that could take three people, dressed in bulky snowmobile suits.

A large utility vehicle like your Land Rover or a Chevy Suburban can take it all.

Les

07-17-2019, 06:59 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lost my Gerber mini tool to security at the Smithsonian Aerospace museum, while I had been in several other Smithsonian museums over the previous day and never had an issue. They didn't get my little credit card style tool from my wallet though and neither did the TSA the last time I flew. The resellers probably have a relative who works for TSA and takes whatever they "confiscate" and resells it for them.
07-18-2019, 09:17 AM   #33
Pentaxian

On longer trips I usually have one with me. But not in my hand luggage...
07-25-2019, 11:34 AM   #34
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
i have a k50 and the battery will get stuck when i try to take it out. i have to use needle nose to get it out.

07-28-2019, 05:18 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
On longer trips I just take one of the tool bags from when I was a field engineer. The company did not want any of the tools back so I still have them. I carried two bags. One is small bag that had basic tools that could handle 95% of the fixes. That is the bag that I take with me.
07-29-2019, 06:30 AM - 2 Likes   #36
Pentaxian

I saw the title of this thread the other day and thought, "No...I don't carry one, but that's a darn good idea. Maybe I should get one." Fast forward to last week. We've been getting in new gear and were having to attach all sorts of handles and things so one of my co-workers asked if he could borrow the multi-tool I keep in a tray by my desk. When I reached for it, I found that I had 3 multi-tools in my tray. Guess I don't need to go shopping after all. I just need to take home one of the multi-tools I already have...and work on my memory. lol
07-29-2019, 03:11 PM - 1 Like   #37

Yeah ... cheap ones ...

They are always getting confiscated by TSA, so I don't carry any of my good ones. I often forget to transfer to my checked bag. -BRK

08-02-2019, 06:47 AM   #38
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Used the simple tool mentioned in post 18 to tighten the joby ultra plate while on safari in Tanzania
08-04-2019, 12:23 AM - 1 Like   #39
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I note with some reticence... it's only me that seems to have a bottle opener & corkscrew in the tool kit.

But then no one else mentioned Gaffer tape either.
08-04-2019, 01:40 AM   #40
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
I note with some reticence... it's only me that seems to have a bottle opener & corkscrew in the tool kit.
Au contraire. My Victorinox Spartan includes. I consider them essential survival tools
08-11-2019, 02:13 PM - 1 Like   #41
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Au contraire
Aye, but I note... no other mention of Gaffer Tape, just the best tool in the photographers box, can bail you out of a crisis in so many ways.
08-11-2019, 02:27 PM   #42
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Aye, but I note... no other mention of Gaffer Tape, just the best tool in the photographers box, can bail you out of a crisis in so many ways.
Indeed... And your post got me thinking that I should have a length or two of gaffer tape in my kit, just in case. If it's good enough for NASA, it's good enough for me
08-12-2019, 02:57 PM - 1 Like   #43
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Never had any Gaffer Tape. Maybe I should pick some up for my camera bag.

I recently bought a new (old stock I suppose now) Ricoh GR ll and carry it about in my small Vanguard (attaches to trouser belt) camera bag. I wanted to get an Air Dust Blower / Soft Brush to clean the lens of dust to fit into the camera bag. I was surprised how difficult it was to get. No one seem to carry it in their store anymore, but I was able to order one online.

Maybe a sign of the times and a sign that I'm an old geezer ...who considers one of these little blower brushes as an essential piece of camera kit.

I've been using these little brushes since the late '60's and I was surprised how rare...in local stores anyway.... they seem to be. At one time they were staple stock.
08-12-2019, 03:12 PM   #44
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
who considers one of these little blower brushes as an essential piece of camera kit
I do. I own two different sizes of the Giottos "rocket", a couple of good quality other-brand silicone rubber models, and several of the combination brush / blower (more like "puffer") bulbs. Essential kit, IMHO