Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2019, 09:06 AM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The only thing I would carry it in mounted would be my LowePro Flipside 400.

However I usually carry it unmounted in a messenger bag with other lenses. I have the Domke Metro Messenger and Peak Design Everyday. Both fit it comfortably. My little PD Everyday Backpack also just accommodates it packed sideways.

06-23-2019, 11:21 AM - 3 Likes   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
The only thing I would carry it in mounted would be my LowePro Flipside 400.

However I usually carry it unmounted in a messenger bag with other lenses. I have the Domke Metro Messenger and Peak Design Everyday. Both fit it comfortably. My little PD Everyday Backpack also just accommodates it packed sideways.
I agree with Sandy on this. I don't really see a need to carry the DFA 150-450 mounted. Once I've put it on the camera, I have it on a Peak Design or Black Rapid sling, where it is comfortably carried. Even if I then want to swap to a shorter lens for a few shots, the 150-450 stays on the sling. If I am swapping it out for a longer period it goes back in the bag unmounted.
06-23-2019, 12:15 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I agree with Sandy on this. I don't really see a need to carry the DFA 150-450 mounted. Once I've put it on the camera, I have it on a Peak Design or Black Rapid sling, where it is comfortably carried. Even if I then want to swap to a shorter lens for a few shots, the 150-450 stays on the sling. If I am swapping it out for a longer period it goes back in the bag unmounted.
Yes, I understand the concerns. Here is the scenario that takes/makes up probably 80% of my photo outings, and likely 95% of the times that I will be using the 150-450:

I live three or four blocks (two if I walk a game trail across the dunes) from the Pacific Ocean. I figure out what gear I want to take and I mount the lens on the body before I walk out the door. I get into my 4x4 with my gear and head to the beach (yes, you can drive most of the beach here, part of the year. The rest of the year, much of it is closed to vehicle traffic and you are walking to get away from people who are still driving ) I go to a suitable location, usually a good place to find eagles, ospreys, etc. I then either roll down my window and shoot from the driver's seat OR, perhaps half the time, park and walk maybe a couple hundred meters to get to a better location.

Once I am on the beach, I can almost guarantee that the wind will be blowing (sand) and often some precipitation will fall (blow sideways) while I am out. Even opening the airlock of my window means the potential for having sand blown into my camera body during a lens change.

This is almost definitely the scenario without a proper bag. Given something comfortable for a short trek, I may wander farther than a couple hundred of meters. As the weather is dynamic enough to go from blazing sunshine to feeling like you just stumbled into an automated car wash, and back again, several times a day, weather resistance is a priority not only for my camera and lenses, but for everything I purchase for EDC.
06-23-2019, 12:17 PM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the 150-450 stays on the sling.
How have you attached the sling? I added an eye bolt to my DFA 150-450mm see here.

06-23-2019, 05:23 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
How have you attached the sling? I added an eye bolt to my DFA 150-450mm see here.
The Black Rapid has a bolt that screws directly into the foot. These days though I mostly use the Peak Design, which has an anchor mount that also screws in directly, with one or two anchor links attached. With the K1 attached, I have the two ends of the Black Rapid Strap attached to the left eye-link of the camera and one of the links on the lens foot respectively. If I mount another lens, I quickly swap the camera-end of the strap to the other foot anchor, and attach the standard Pentax neck-strap to both sides of the camera with quick PD anchors.
06-23-2019, 05:38 PM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

he Black Rapid has a bolt that screws directly into the foot. These days though I mostly use the Peak Design
I would add a safety tether to both of those systems. I have a buddy with the Black Rapid system, have his bolt fail at the tripod mount on his camera, but fortunately he did have a tether, soh is camera never hit the ground. I use the Peak Design Slide system and have had their anchors fail. My camera did hit the ground but was not damaged. I dislike having to tether the Peak Design Slide as it defeats the purpose of quickly removing the strap. But I don't trust their anchors. On the other hand I don't trust the Black Rapid system either. But I do like the ergonomics of the Peak Design system. So with a few added safety measures, I'll keep using it.
06-23-2019, 05:58 PM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by david94903 Quote
I would add a safety tether to both of those systems. I have a buddy with the Black Rapid system, have his bolt fail at the tripod mount on his camera, but fortunately he did have a tether, soh is camera never hit the ground. I use the Peak Design Slide system and have had their anchors fail. My camera did hit the ground but was not damaged. I dislike having to tether the Peak Design Slide as it defeats the purpose of quickly removing the strap. But I don't trust their anchors. On the other hand I don't trust the Black Rapid system either. But I do like the ergonomics of the Peak Design system. So with a few added safety measures, I'll keep using it.
I agree! For a combo that costs that much money I would feel much better if a (reputable) company at least put a weight rating, for whatever it's worth, behind their screw in attachment points.

I use an Op/tech system too, mostly on the camera. I support the 150-450 by hand, until I find something that can at least brag about being secure *enough*.

06-23-2019, 06:21 PM - 1 Like   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Oktyabr Quote
I support the 150-450 by hand
Even with the sling and the safety tether, I also support my 150-450 by hand. It's a really heavy lens, and I can only imagine that at some point, without support, it'll pull the lens mount off the camera. I think @marcusBMG has the right idea by attaching his sling to the lens foot. I'll have to look into that sort of solution.
06-23-2019, 06:31 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by david94903 Quote
Even with the sling and the safety tether, I also support my 150-450 by hand. It's a really heavy lens, and I can only imagine that at some point, without support, it'll pull the lens mount off the camera. I think @marcusBMG has the right idea by attaching his sling to the lens foot. I'll have to look into that sort of solution.
Let me know what you come up with? I could barely justify the expense of this lens once, much less to replace it because a sub $100 tether system failed.
06-24-2019, 05:20 AM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd be happy to help anyone lacking a drill press, taps etc out with an eyebolt, but I am UK not USA...
Still any competent workshop would be able to do it. There weren't any complications like internal mechanisms in the foot.

I use a simple strap scavenged off an old piece of luggage with pretty stout metal clips on the ends, so I can easily take it off for tripod mounted shots, hide use with a bean bag. I wouldn't let the camera take the weight of this lens. The hanging position isn't ideal, sort of angled semi upsidedown, but I can have confidence that it's secure and both hands are free for eg my binocs. There is more than one case of a ripped off camera mount in threads here on PF.

Last edited by marcusBMG; 06-24-2019 at 06:28 AM.
06-24-2019, 05:36 AM - 1 Like   #26
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

my solution is slightly different if I understand what has been discussed before

I use an Optech US utility strap which is attached to the upper attachment point of the camera body and hangs across my body

I also have a JOBY UltraFit Hand Strap with UltraPlate with the ultra plate attached to the base and the hand strap attached to the same upper attachment point of the camera body

as a back up I have a JOBY Camera Tether Strap for DSLR attached to the strap itself and the metal D ring attached to the same upper attachment point of the camera body - metal to metal contact at all times

this serves as a back up safety should anything else fail

as far as weight I vary how I carry the camera plus a heavy lens from hanging at my side, to having my hand take some of the weight as well or resting the lens against my off arm or my shoulder

Optech USA also sells a lens loop designed to help hold long heavy lenses but I have not tried them

https://optechusa.com/lens-loops.html

Last edited by aslyfox; 06-24-2019 at 05:45 AM.
06-24-2019, 09:33 AM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
Just ordered the Lowepro LP36307 (large quiver for lenses, inside 13 x 13 x 32 cm, outside 20 x 18 x 35,5 cm, weight 0.5 kg).

I read that it fits optimal for the DFA150-450 even with camera attached!

So, a perfect addition to my LowePro Backpack Vertex AW100 that I also can also put into other bags or backpacks if necessary.
An addition to my former post.

The DFA150-450 also fits into the LowePro Vertex AW100. But when I‘m going on a tour with some lenses and tripod stuff etc. it doesn’t offer enough space. I then in addition use a bag or rucksack that‘s not special for photography equipment. If I chose this solution I use lens bags to transport lenses securely.

I mostly go by feet or by bike or train / subway with or without a burley travoy and rarely by car. If I go by bike, I don‘t use the blackrapid strap because control over the lens movement is not easy - the hands have to stay at the bicycle handlebar. If I’m using the blackrapid strap it is fastend to the lens foot, not to the camera.

So - how I transport and handle my gear depends on different circumstances.
06-27-2019, 05:13 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Still shopping! Many hours of video and printed reviews. I've narrowed it down some though...

I know I want really good weather resistance, before I have the opportunity to fumble around with some separate "rain" cover. I know I want "back" (against your back) main compartment opening. This seems to narrow the field down some:

F-stop (a few different versions). I like the appearance but the "ICU" (Internal Camera Unit) is a separate purchase that makes it one of the highest priced I've considered.

Shimoda Explore 40L Highly praised, seems to tick the boxes, includes camera storage.

Lowepro Protactic or possibly Whistler. I'm drawn to the Whistler but is this where my money is best spent?

I'm sure I'm missing some...
06-27-2019, 11:14 AM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

If you don't use a grip, the Atlas Pack Athlete would work well. I have the Adventure which is quite a bit bigger and has added depth for the grip.
06-27-2019, 11:18 AM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've got a LowePro 450, and it will certainly fit in that, mounted or otherwise.

For the sling when it's out of the bag, I use a Peak Design, one end on the camera body and the other on an arca plate mounted on the tripod foot.