Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2008, 08:39 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hmmm. Gotta own up to four.

Main bag (& first purchase) is a Delsey pro backpack in which everything lives on a day to day basis. Great for taking in the car.

Second purchase was a Lowepro top load bag when I discovered the larger back pack was a bit 'dangerous' in tight confines (like small shops in Hong Kong).

Then added a Tamrac Velocity 8X sling bag, which is great.....but discovered it is not waterproof and after getting caught in a torrential downpour and opening it to discover the lens' in the bottom dripping wet it was back to the drawing board.

Have since added a Lowepro sling bag with the pull out and over rain cover. great bag for airline travel, big enough to take what I need and comfortable to carry all day.

Interestingly all get used from time to time for different purposes.

10-09-2008, 10:24 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
I have two beautiful vintage leather bags.
I also have a very, very large vintage Perrin leather bag as well.
And you just had to show off that beautiful S3, didn't you.

I have two bags. A generic run of the mill bag that will hold two film bodies on one side and 4 lenses (or 3 lenses and flash) on the other plus a couple of small pockets for "stuff." I also have the Wolverine Carry-on back pack from Adorama that will hold a large amount of personal gear or a small camera store. I've managed to cram a K100D S, 2 MX, 1 ME, 3 lenses and a flash just in the main compartment along with a zipper bag with several rolls of film. That doesn't include the area for laptop, area for papers and such, dedicated pocket for SD card, etc. Hmmmm, maybe instead of an MRI on my shoulder to see why it hurts and if it needs surgery, I should just take about half the stuff out of that backpack.

CW
10-09-2008, 10:41 PM   #18
Veteran Member

this is LBA
- lowepro nova mini - good for when i only had camera and kit lens
- lowepro edit 160 - good for when i bought 360 flash
- lowepro stealth reporter - good for when i got 16-50 lens, but it looks like a large size suitcase strapped to your shoulder, when you look into the mirror.
- lowepro slingshot 100 - good as i got the 50-135 lens, but for some reason that sling strap weather loose, mid, or tight, was theee most uncomfortable thing.
- domke FX3, just got it today, so far everything looks ok
As for your question, that makes 5, and those were bought only in the last eleven months,
now thats LBA

Dave[/B]
10-09-2008, 11:03 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Three for me, not counting the tripod and lighting bags.

Tenba Large Shootout backpack. Love it but it will hold more than I ever want to carry farther than the Jeep.
Ape Case 1400 shoulder bag. More of a spares bag now but eventually will end up being my "primes" bag. The banana yellow interior really is awesome.
Tamrac Explorer II. The "Zoo Bag". Just big enough for the K20 sans grip w/ 18-250 mounted, FA50 and the Cokin wallet.

I also picked up a Op-Tech Soft Case last month and it works really well as a grab the camera and go solution. Been doing a bit of house hunting lately and it's really convenient. The strap for attaching to your lens or tripod mount is worthless though and I just snipped it off.

And I'm eyeballing the Pentax Sling bag now too - as a replacement "zoo" bag.

10-09-2008, 11:34 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Hey Venturi,

I am looking at the Tenba line (backpack style). There web site and products look great. My question to you, "a real live user"..... are they as decent as they seem? Solid construction, good protection, water resistant, comfortable? I am wanted a small pack for tough hiking. I am considering the Shoot out Daypack (like the storage section it offers for a snack / windbreaker, etc.

Thanks,

Spyglass

QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
Three for me, not counting the tripod and lighting bags.

Tenba Large Shootout backpack. Love it but it will hold more than I ever want to carry farther than the Jeep.
Ape Case 1400 shoulder bag. More of a spares bag now but eventually will end up being my "primes" bag. The banana yellow interior really is awesome.
Tamrac Explorer II. The "Zoo Bag". Just big enough for the K20 sans grip w/ 18-250 mounted, FA50 and the Cokin wallet.

I also picked up a Op-Tech Soft Case last month and it works really well as a grab the camera and go solution. Been doing a bit of house hunting lately and it's really convenient. The strap for attaching to your lens or tripod mount is worthless though and I just snipped it off.

And I'm eyeballing the Pentax Sling bag now too - as a replacement "zoo" bag.
10-10-2008, 12:11 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by spyglass Quote
Hey Venturi,

I am looking at the Tenba line (backpack style). There web site and products look great. My question to you, "a real live user"..... are they as decent as they seem? Solid construction, good protection, water resistant, comfortable? I am wanted a small pack for tough hiking. I am considering the Shoot out Daypack (like the storage section it offers for a snack / windbreaker, etc.

Thanks,

Spyglass
Hey Spy,

I absolutely love the Shootout and yes it is all of the above. Good dense thick padding in the shell and dividers. Plenty of said dividers. Heavy duty outer shell. "Inside-out" zippers to keep out water, plus it has the rain cover that stows in the bottom. Really comfortable and easily adjustable straps and removable waist belt which also are easily stowed in a zippered sheath so you can carry it by the top handle without them flapping around.

I spent about 45min at the local camera shop comparing the Tenba, Lowepro and Tamrac backpacks side-by-side before I went with the Tenba. I had bought a Lowepro slingshot 250 a couple days prior and could not for the life of me configure the camera compartment to my satisfaction.

The Tamrac was heavier and didn't feel as good of quality and was $50 more expensive.
The Lowepro was lighter, a bit narrower and taller and $20 cheaper, but I was not impressed with the divider padding.

One of them, can't remember which one now, had the laptop pouch on the flap of the pack rather than against your back with I thought was pretty rediculous. From experience humping an ALICE pack as a Jarhead the more weight you have extending out behind you the faster you fatigue.

It wasn't cheap at $175 but I really really do like it.

ATTN Tenba marketing dept: pls send endorsement check to...
10-10-2008, 07:04 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paolojackson Quote

Just curious, what bags do yall have and how do you use them? I bet someone here has more than a few
I'm pretty sure I'm up to 14 bags now, all of them full.
I like lenses.....

10-10-2008, 07:23 AM   #23
Inactive Account

I have a Domke F2 for my everyday and storage bag. I really like this bag and it will hold as much or as little gear as I want to carry. For trips involving air travel or if I plan to be hiking, etc., I have a kata R-103 which also holds all my gear and is bomb proof.

I am looking seriously at the Think Tank Speed Freak belt pack but have been unable to locate one to look it over. If anyone has experience with this bag or one of her sisters I would appreciate any comments.
10-10-2008, 07:48 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Too many and not enough....
10-10-2008, 11:23 AM   #25
Veteran Member

I have a large, shoulder Amvona bag that holds all my film equipment during occassions when I want to take everything for shooting film including but not limited to a ZX-50, ZX-60, three different flash units, something like five lenses and many other items.
I have the Pentax sling bag which is the current home to my K10 and toys and tricks to go along with that. I do like this bag. Good for being on the go, moving around or out all day with a single digital or film camera
Also I have the Canon Deluxe backpack that I will use for times when I want to carry a bunch of equipment being out all day or hiking. It will hold two camera and so many other things and do the job well.
I have the Lowepro 200 sling which remains wrapped for future use. Does the job of the Pentax sling with a little more room and functions. If the day comes that the Pentax sling cannot be repaired, I will not weep too long because the SS 200 AW with make a great replacement.
A bag made by Rayovac was the first home to my K10. It is a small shoulder bag about the size of one of those big, fat, multi-grain loaves of bread and scarcely held everything that came with the K10 kit plus a 50-200. It is good for times when I would just be taking snapshots at family gatherings or any other circumstance when I just want to take one camera and lens, which would not be that often but I still intend to keep the bag. I do also have a Pentax shoulder bag that is about the same size, 5 x 6 x 10, which is storage and home for one of my k1000.
I have a larger Pentax holster bag and the smaller holster bag which get no use at all anymore and will be up on ebay or giving away sometime.

So that makes 8, of which four get use throughout the year.
10-10-2008, 11:52 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have 4 right now, not counting those were too worn and not using anymore. My most used bag is an 18 years old compact Tenba 303 just for 1 body and a zoom, and plus a small prime or Metz 40MZ-2 if required. Or it can handle 1 body + 3 Limited. My other most used bag is a Domke F-6 which I love and hate. Love it versatility but hate its soft bottom and narrow 1.5" strap. Since it is rather short, I use it only for a selection of primes and try not to load it heavy.

The only bag that I ever managed to worn completely was the F-803, so I am up to my 2nd one now. The bag is rather thin so only a handful of cameras can fit in, and Pentax is one of them because they are traditionally shorter. The bag itself is really nice but the insert is not quite practical and wasted quite a bit of already precious space. So I designed and sewed one myself just to fit what I have. Wish the front pockets could be made bigger though. Again the 1.5" strap is torturing my shoulder when loaded but I really like this bag so I tolerate it.

The newest bag I have is the F-4AF which is solely for my 40D kit which is unlikely to grow anytime soon. I purchased them for specific purpose. Again, nice bag with wide strap but the factory inserts are... consuming too much inner spaces. So again, I designed and sewed one myself just to fit that particular kit. Do I feel good when everything fits as planned. I almost feel like sewing more than photography.

There were a few bags that I really like and still do, but they were just not practical as camera bags. Like the Billingham 445 which is so well made and nice to look at, but it works better as a luggage bag than a camera bag. The TUMI only ever Deluxe Camera Bag - so well made and comfortable on shoulder, but the inner space was too limited and the front flip is too large and clumsy. Miss them a lot but wouldn't know what to do with them if I still had them.

Last edited by wlachan; 10-10-2008 at 12:09 PM.
10-10-2008, 11:57 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Four bags in use:
1. Domke F-2: at least 20 yrs. old. Used to use it to carry way too much film equipment. Now used to store same equipment. Great bag.
2. Domke F-5XB: got this to use with my DS. Holds body with lens attched, maybe one more lens depending on size, plus little bits/pieces. Still use with DS or film body and minimal extra lenses. Very small and convenient and forces me to think about what I should take out.
3. Billingham Hadley Pro:use with K10d and one or two additional lenses. Will also hold an Epson P2000 and cards, batteries, etc. This bag is a real treat.
4. Tamrac 5371:compact backpack. Use to hold additional lenses when shooting from car.
Also have several metal cases (Hakuba) that I use for storage.

Had a sling bag that didn't work for me;gave it away. I used shoulder bags when shooting film and after trying a backpack and a sling, decided that they are still best for me. I just don't use a big one anyone so as to limit what I carry.
10-12-2008, 08:30 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dafiryde Quote
this is LBA
- lowepro nova mini - good for when i only had camera and kit lens
- lowepro edit 160 - good for when i bought 360 flash
- lowepro stealth reporter - good for when i got 16-50 lens, but it looks like a large size suitcase strapped to your shoulder, when you look into the mirror.
- lowepro slingshot 100 - good as i got the 50-135 lens, but for some reason that sling strap weather loose, mid, or tight, was theee most uncomfortable thing.
- domke FX3, just got it today, so far everything looks ok
As for your question, that makes 5, and those were bought only in the last eleven months,
now thats LBA

Dave[/B]
finally tried the domke------what a bag, so i took some inserts and a rain flap from the lowepro and now i got a greaaaaaat bag

Dave
10-18-2008, 08:45 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Outch... that is a darn tough question to answer...

To many and yet not enough...

Anyway here are a list of bags I use regularly:

- lowepro Nature trekker II - my big backpack
- lovepro vertex 100 AW - my air travel bag
- A huge kata shoulder bag - my to/from/on location bag for portrait and events.
- Domke F3x - small citybag
- Lowepro SR 300 - small kit event bag
- Lowepro SR 100 - 3 prime bag
- Lowepro Flipside 300 - no PC and small kit travel bag
- various holsterbags from Lowepro
- a full kinesis belt system with cases etc., including journeyman backpack - favourite hiking solution
- various lens cases from lowepro

and probably a quite a few I have forgotten about along the way or simply do not use much not to mention tripod bags, light kit bags etc.

To answer your question, yes I am still looking for the perfect bag
10-19-2008, 03:13 AM   #30
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
After many years using a Lowepro Pro35 (like the Magnum), I recently changed in May this year to a Crumpler 750 daily xxl. So I guess that counts as two, as I still have the Lowepro (just can't bear to throw it away).

It’s in use every day and so far seems tough enough to do the job. Importantly it differs from the Lowepro in the following ways;

It allows me quick access (no fiddly zips to open) to 2 bodies fitted with longish lenses and hoods already mounted, stored vertically within the bag for instant use, plus umpteen other lenses, flashguns and all the other stuff we all lug about “just in case”.

It’s secured with 2 buckle clips, which can be left unsecured because there are also 2 large squares of the loudest Velcro imaginable holding down the main flap (great security unless of course you’re hard of hearing, even then it takes a fair tug to part the Velcro which you really would notice if someone tried it on).

IMHO it certainly looks less camera bag like, compared to some, and certainly attracts less attention. Maybe because of the colour choice I have, which is described as warm grey/ grey black, which really means sort of beige ish.