Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2008, 09:59 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Four bags actually in use.

I guess I have settled on 4 bags that I actually use.
  1. LowePro Slingshot 200 as my daily bag for K10D and 4 lenses.
  2. Domke F2 bought used to store KX and a number of K-series lenses.
  3. Domke F3x (Tamron-labeled) bought used for my MESuper and 2 M-series lenses.
  4. Lowepro Trekker 200AW Backpack for travel and extended shooting sessions.
I have several bags in surplus that I keep meaning to sell on the Forum, but I never get around to it. They have a large number of surplus manual lenses that I also mean to sell, but I never get around to that either.

10-19-2008, 08:36 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dafiryde Quote
finally tried the domke------what a bag, so i took some inserts and a rain flap from the lowepro and now i got a greaaaaaat bag

Dave
my wife gave my bag a new name today
DOMLOWE
10-20-2008, 05:02 AM   #33

Photos: Gallery
Four, maybe?

Among a handful of bags and ever-ready cases of varying size and age, my everyday bag is a Tamrac Adventure 7.
It accommodates a large SLR with lens and 4 extra lenses in the base compartment (or 2 SLR bodies and 2-3 lenses) and has a top compartment which I use to store food, beanbags, more cameras, maps, etc.
It's a good, comfy bag but it's not exactly a "quick-draw" solution. More of a "lug-it-around-with-space-for-your-lunch" one. Plus, the divider inserts in the base compartment are a bit soft, and they haven't kept their shpe very well since cameras have been squashed up on them. They could have done with having stiffer foam in them - I might actually make some new ones myself. Get out the sewing machine, man...
10-20-2008, 06:14 AM   #34

Does this count?

IKEA | Bookcases | BILLY system | BILLY/ BILLY BYOM | Bookcase with glass-door

I was thinking endlessly about a big case to hold all the camera gear I've been snatching up recently. Didn't want to go to multiple cases, wanted it cheap, not super high quality but at least hold together if god forbid I should want to transport it. Couldn't find anything. Then I saw that thing in IKEA, like $35 for the shelves, another $30 for the glass door.

So I think of it as one of my camera bags.

For actual bags, I have 2 (Crumpler 5M home, Pentax Sling), and another 2 holster/wetsuit things (Lenscoat body pouch, lowepro holster). Crumpler's the default as it's pretty and it limits what I can carry (good thing).

So, five for me.

10-20-2008, 07:20 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Right now, I have 2--
1. Tamrac Expedition 4 backpack for when I want to haul everything.
2. Tamrac Explorer 2 bag for when I want to travel light with only 1 or 2 extra lenses.

I'll be adding a messenger bag in the near future. I've ordered a Tenba message bag insert from B&H to go into it to make it a stealth camera bag.
Tenba | Pro Digital 2.0 Photo Insert | 638-251 | B&H Photo Video

In carrying around the Explorer 2, I've decided that I like hip packs, but this one isn't that comfortable, so I eventually want to replace it with either the Lowepro Inverse 100 or Tenba Shootout hip packs. Those are on the Christmas wish list.

Also on the Christmas wish list is a Tenba Shootout small backpack, which should be plenty big to hold everything, plus the laptop. It also has an awesome tripod carrying setup--a lot better than the Tamracs.

Heather
10-20-2008, 12:55 PM   #36
Site Supporter

This is the exact same question my wife asked me . . .
10-20-2008, 01:30 PM   #37
Veteran Member

deuces that is to funny.

I too found a great cabinet for storing all my equipment at Ikea. This BIBY Glass door cabinet works great. It has a metal frame which is very sturdy.

10-20-2008, 10:14 PM   #38

three
naneu pro alpha for all purpose/travel
lowepro computrekker aw (was my first bag), it was a bit of a mistake, as it's too big and chunky and ugly
lowepro top load holster thingie

since i got my alpha, i've worked out how i like to travel, and may get a bravo for travel, and use the alpha when i can carry more equipment

dave
10-21-2008, 05:09 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Too many. Bought another one yesterday.
Should I include the aluminium case as well?
10-21-2008, 05:35 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dtra Quote
three
naneu pro alpha for all purpose/travel
lowepro computrekker aw (was my first bag), it was a bit of a mistake, as it's too big and chunky and ugly
lowepro top load holster thingie

since i got my alpha, i've worked out how i like to travel, and may get a bravo for travel, and use the alpha when i can carry more equipment

dave
Nice to hear about the Naneu Pro backpacks. I always liked how they looked, seeing them at a local shop. Care to elaborate more on that particular bag??
10-21-2008, 05:56 AM   #41
mel
Veteran Member

My collection of bags is growing.

I have a Lowepro Slingshot 200 that I use for hauling while shooting when I'm sure what I will need and want to have options.

The Crumpler 4 million dollar home I use for either the film cameras, supplementary to the slingshot, or if I know I'll only need one or two smaller additional lenses or maybe the flash. However, I found on my last theater shoot, I left my slingshot in a corner, packed a couple lenses in the crumpler, bent the flap back and open (to avoid the velcro sound during the show) and used it as a carrier for lens changes during the production to avoid trying to stuff lenses in pockets. That worked beautifully.

I have a small, old bag for storage but it's really too small to be of real use. So I just bought a Lowepro Nova 5AW for storage of what I'm not hauling but it's a bag so I can carry it along if needed. It should be here any day now.

I love bags. I have an illness.
10-21-2008, 12:49 PM   #42
Veteran Member

I have found the use of a belt system Ideal for how you used the crumpler.
It does not make you look good, but it is easy to work from and sits tight when I am moving about.

Just to add to your BBA

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
My collection of bags is growing.

I have a Lowepro Slingshot 200 that I use for hauling while shooting when I'm sure what I will need and want to have options.

The Crumpler 4 million dollar home I use for either the film cameras, supplementary to the slingshot, or if I know I'll only need one or two smaller additional lenses or maybe the flash. However, I found on my last theater shoot, I left my slingshot in a corner, packed a couple lenses in the crumpler, bent the flap back and open (to avoid the velcro sound during the show) and used it as a carrier for lens changes during the production to avoid trying to stuff lenses in pockets. That worked beautifully.

I have a small, old bag for storage but it's really too small to be of real use. So I just bought a Lowepro Nova 5AW for storage of what I'm not hauling but it's a bag so I can carry it along if needed. It should be here any day now.

I love bags. I have an illness.
10-21-2008, 01:47 PM   #43
Veteran Member

I had to go look for them all to see what I have...

1. Amvona backpack - Great for air travel. Holds laptop, (2) K200D bodies w/battery grips and every lens in my sig, plus accessories.

2. Pentax Slingbag - Everyday bag. Holds K200D body w/grip and DA*50-135mm attached, DA14, DA10-17, plus a Yashica or ZX-10 film body with 28mm or 50mm lens attached.

3. Lowepro TLZ1 holster - Holds K200D body w/grip and Sigma 24-60mm attached

4. Tamrac Shoulder Bag - Backup for when the Slingbag isn't convenient to take. Also used as storage for the Yashica film body and 3-4 screwmount lenses.

5. Tenba Shoulder Bag - Storage for 2 more film bodies along with an assortment of surplus filters.

6. Case Logic Bag (small) - Holds 1 film bodies w/lens attached plus 1 extra lens.
10-21-2008, 02:32 PM   #44
mel
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Duplo Quote
I have found the use of a belt system Ideal for how you used the crumpler.
It does not make you look good, but it is easy to work from and sits tight when I am moving about.

Just to add to your BBA
But won't that make my hips look bigger? Just askin'. Lol.

Actually this worked quite well. I wore it crosswise (shoulder to opposite side) and it really didn't move around too much and was never in my way. And as an added bonus it looked pretty darn cool.
10-21-2008, 03:28 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
But won't that make my hips look bigger? Just askin'. Lol.

Actually this worked quite well. I wore it crosswise (shoulder to opposite side) and it really didn't move around too much and was never in my way. And as an added bonus it looked pretty darn cool.
hehe... yep it will, thus the comment about not making you look good

I know the bag thing works, I use my SR bags the same way from time to time....
But as said I have found the belt thingy more comfortable when worn over a long day of work.