Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2019, 07:43 PM   #1

Can I use a remote to activate video?

Hello folks. If I wanted to start the video on my K-50 without having to press the shutter button myself, is a Remote Shutter Release what I need to accomplish this?
I'd also like to stop the video the same way.

I'm not sure if it's a wireless remote that I need or something wired like this: 3M Remote Shutter Release Cable Cord For Pentax K-3/K-5/K-7/K-M?/K-30/K-50/K110? | eBay

I'd like your suggestions if this option is available for my Pentax camera and which way is better: wired or wireless.

Thanks,
Steve in Central Vermont

07-01-2019, 08:35 PM   #2
Pentaxian

You can definitely use a cable to start and stop video on the K50 - I had to set up to do that a couple of years ago using a 5m long home made cable. You can also use an intervalometer to start and stop video.

I would assume that you could also use a wireless remote if it plugs into the 2.5mm socket - beyond that I'm not sure.
07-01-2019, 08:48 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blackink Quote
Hello folks. If I wanted to start the video on my K-50 without having to press the shutter button myself, is a Remote Shutter Release what I need to accomplish this?
I'd also like to stop the video the same way.

I'm not sure if it's a wireless remote that I need or something wired like this: 3M Remote Shutter Release Cable Cord For Pentax K-3/K-5/K-7/K-M?/K-30/K-50/K110? | eBay

I'd like your suggestions if this option is available for my Pentax camera and which way is better: wired or wireless.

Thanks,
Steve in Central Vermont
It looks like the K50 has an IR sensor. If you have an older phone with an IR output you can get an app that will work, otherwise pick up an inexpensive IR trigger from somewhere.

https://www.amazon.ca/Wireless-Infrared-Shutter-Release-JJC/dp/B00INU6G16/re...gateway&sr=8-6 for example
07-03-2019, 10:06 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I h ave often thought about remote release over distance, and have toyed with the idea of a radio based trigger using an GTRS radio. Some have side channel capability for group chats with call tones. This with a little simple electronics could trip a shutter from up to 2 miles away

07-03-2019, 11:01 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With the K-50, one has the option of IR (works over short distances) or wired (limited by cable length) or radio-wireless dongle (greatest distance).

Steve