Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2019, 03:28 PM   #1

Godox 350TT on Pentax MZ-S or MZ-6?

Hi All,
I wanted a light-weight TTL flash for my late model film cameras both of which support P-TTL (MZ-S and MZ-6). Godox doesn't list either of them as being supported which of course is completely understandable as they are not going to bother to test old film cameras.

However, can anyone see a reason why it wouldn't be compatible? I know when I asked Metz about their new 400 flash they said it was definitely not compatible with a non-digital camera but I think companies just say that to cover themselves.

Thanks for your help.

Jason

07-04-2019, 04:14 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have never tried those combinations, but am confident that the flash will not not know what camera it is attached to (not part of the handshake) and if the emulation is sound, it should work with P-TTL film cameras.

Addendum: Adorama's Flashpoint Zoom-Mini TTL R2 Flash With Integrated R2 Radio Transceiver - Pentax (TT350P) is fully equivalent and may be useful when doing price comparisons to the Godox TT350P.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-04-2019 at 04:22 PM.
07-04-2019, 06:01 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I have never tried those combinations, but am confident that the flash will not not know what camera it is attached to (not part of the handshake) and if the emulation is sound, it should work with P-TTL film cameras.

Addendum: Adorama's Flashpoint Zoom-Mini TTL R2 Flash With Integrated R2 Radio Transceiver - Pentax (TT350P) is fully equivalent and may be useful when doing price comparisons to the Godox TT350P.

Steve
Fantastic thanks Steve - yes agreed I can't see why it would't work either. The reviews at B&H and other places are very favourable and more importantly suggest the P-TTL works great so I think I will give it a go and put through a test roll and see how I go. I only shoot very simply with a bounced flash in P-TTL and don't need wireless etc so I won't be taxing it too much

Thanks for the tip on the Flashpoint, I had read about that flash but unfortunately Adorama's shipping to Australia is insanely high so it's a no-go.
07-05-2019, 06:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hello "rollbahn", I'm using Godox's Xpro-P trigger which I believe is using the same protocols as the TT350P. Godox only lists it as being compatible with only a few current cameras, but it works perfectly with all my Pentax P-TTL cameras including my MZ-S, so I can't see why their TT350P wouldn't be the same.

Glenn

07-06-2019, 05:51 PM   #5

Original Poster
Fantastic thanks Glenn - that's really great to hear. I have it coming from Amazon on Tuesday along with a test roll of TMax so I can check the results quickly.

Have you found the results consistent? I had the Pentax AF 540FGZ (ist version) and found it was all over the place so I got rid of it and went back to standard Auto flash on my Metz 54 which works great but not as well as the Canon E-TTL flash I used to have, which was perfect almost 100% of the time.
07-08-2019, 03:59 PM   #6

Original Poster
Well I received the flash this morning and unfortunately it does not seem to work on my MZ-S or my K-5 II. It will do manual flash but nothing happens when I set the flash to TTL.

I have updated the firmware too but nothing changed - no flash icon in the viewfinder and seemingly no communication at all.