Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2019, 03:19 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
simple K5 plus prime wraparound case

Like the simple body cases you used to get in leather. Is there one? I've been looking online and I've found a few from megagear in neoprene and leather but with room for a zoom, which I don't want. I just want something simple and minimalist, just a cover, no padding and not too big. They don't seem to exist any more but perhaps one of you fine folk has a suggestion?

07-22-2019, 04:30 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is a good idea, a market for niche leather crafts people to cash in. I like the idea of these.
07-22-2019, 12:53 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Five Luxurious Lens Wraps | B&H Explora

I have two from different manufacturers, and can highly recommend these:

Protective Wrap 20 inch | Tenba

If you want to travel light, camera and lens only, they work great. They offer a bit of padding
and add almost no weight.
07-22-2019, 01:20 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jlstrawman Quote
Five Luxurious Lens Wraps | B&H Explora

I have two from different manufacturers, and can highly recommend these:

Protective Wrap 20 inch | Tenba

If you want to travel light, camera and lens only, they work great. They offer a bit of padding
and add almost no weight.
They're interesting. Not quite what I was thinking of but they'd do the job and didn't know they existed, thanks.

07-24-2019, 05:45 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by 3by2 Quote
They're interesting. Not quite what I was thinking of but they'd do the job and didn't know they existed, thanks.
I've been looking myself...all I see that's close are the neoprene cases, but I'd love a leather everready case old school. I've got Spotmatic cases that are still in good shape but any of the crappy pleather variety from the 70-80s all decompose. One problem with today's dslr is so many buttons and dials and the need to see a lcd screen...makes it almost impossible. I love the see a DSLR with an old school metal body...not even an lcd screen...no AF, no program modes...just something like an MX with image review via WiFi on a phone....and a nice leather case.

07-25-2019, 09:51 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tonyzoc Quote
I've been looking myself...all I see that's close are the neoprene cases, but I'd love a leather everready case old school. I've got Spotmatic cases that are still in good shape but any of the crappy pleather variety from the 70-80s all decompose. One problem with today's dslr is so many buttons and dials and the need to see a lcd screen...makes it almost impossible. I love the see a DSLR with an old school metal body...not even an lcd screen...no AF, no program modes...just something like an MX with image review via WiFi on a phone....and a nice leather case.
You've probably put your finger on why no one makes one. But even the neoprene cases are too big for a K5, they're made for Canons and things or to fit a zoom, so it's a question of finding something that wraps closely so I can pack it in a bag without it taking a ridiculous amount of space.
07-25-2019, 10:25 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tonyzoc Quote
I'd love a leather everready case old school.
Wouldn't we all, but unfortunately we would not be able to access a good bit of the camera's controls. Even compact mirrorless are a problem for the traditional half-case with most ending up providing "thong" protection and handling advantage at best.

Steve
07-25-2019, 10:20 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

something that screws into the base tripod screw, undo some press studs then the leather case folds out revealing the camera in full. Maybe?

07-26-2019, 11:53 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Wouldn't we all, but unfortunately we would not be able to access a good bit of the camera's controls. Even compact mirrorless are a problem for the traditional half-case with most ending up providing "thong" protection and handling advantage at best.

Steve
Yeah, I know...I was just dreaming .

08-25-2019, 03:59 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I realize I am a bit late for this thread, but I think such a case could be easily made. It would not be so much different from the Pentax cases in the eighties.

I do own a leather body case which fits to the Lumix LX3 and LX5. Its design should also work for DSLRs.

It is a two part design, made of genuine leather.
One part (which can stay attached all the time) is a base plate with a 10-20 mm high vertical stripe covering front and sides, fixed at the tripod mount.
The second part covers all the rest of the camera and is fixed at the first part in two points, each one at the sides just above the base plate.
This second part can be rotated around these points, or detached completely.
The LCD and all controls would be accessible.

Unfortunately the version for the Lumix is not easily manageable, as the leather is quite thick and stiff. That is OK for the bottom plate, bot rotating the top can be a pain. But I think the design would work quite well if the top part would be made of a softer and thinner material. Maybe even better if it would be elastic.