Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2019, 11:41 AM   #16
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,459
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by catfishjohn Quote
I find the pool noodle trick works OK. Of course you must get your passengers to stop jumping around trying to get a better view. This post got me thinking. What about a monopod down to the floorboard, between the seat and door. Have not tried it but it might work.
I was thinking along a similar line.

08-25-2019, 11:45 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
WPRESTO's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 50,283
QuoteOriginally posted by catfishjohn Quote
I find the pool noodle trick works OK. Of course you must get your passengers to stop jumping around trying to get a better view. This post got me thinking. What about a monopod down to the floorboard, between the seat and door. Have not tried it but it might work.
I have tried a monopod in both my own car and in an open safari vehicle. It's not always possible to get one into position, and sometimes the 'pod is leaning inward awkwardly (=if there's a wide elbow rest on the door).


Another thing I've used is a simple board (2X4) that was measured & cut to fit from the base of the window atop the dashboard to the top of the passenger seat back just where the headrest attaches, snugged in place by tilting the passenger seat back forward. Use a beanbag or attach whatever head and shoot out the passenger window. Works well, but the panning range is extremely limited. I used it primarily because the driver's side is sometimes the wrong side for shooting, but you must park the car just right to get the correct FOV out the passenger window.
08-25-2019, 11:47 AM - 4 Likes   #18
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,459
Original Poster
Well.....things have progressed rapidly since last night.
I just got two holes drilled and mounted for a head.
I wanted it to be long for a 500mm lens , but I might have overdone it a bit.
This is my first attempt , and my total cost was only $8 including metal , welding supplies , powder coat , etc.
Its as solid as can be , and there is enough room close to my shoulder and hand on steering wheel.
My window goes fully up and down without disturbing anything , and one screw for support is all there is. I can quickly remove it.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-G3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DMC-G3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DMC-G3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DMC-G3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DMC-G3  Photo 
08-25-2019, 11:53 AM - 2 Likes   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
WPRESTO's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 50,283
That's an elegant window mount, as good or better that any commercial unit. Period. And there's enough room in front of the camera to put your morning cuppa.

08-25-2019, 12:02 PM   #20
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,459
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
That's an elegant window mount, as good or better that any commercial unit. Period. And there's enough room in front of the camera to put your morning cuppa.
Thanks. I still have to put felt on the back so I don't add another scratch on my window....
Its an old car (2009) so I don't mind the hole drilled in my door panel.
I like it because there is no messing around with removing things. Just loosen the mount , swing it inside,,,,,Done !

---------- Post added 08-25-19 at 12:09 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
That's an elegant window mount, as good or better that any commercial unit. Period. And there's enough room in front of the camera to put your morning cuppa.
I was thinking a cuppa or a light meter ! Maybe both.....lol
08-25-2019, 02:01 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Goldsboro North Carolina
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,481
QuoteOriginally posted by Ronald Oakes Quote
Its an [old] car (2009)
I drive a '93 Jeep Cherokee (still runs great).

QuoteOriginally posted by Ronald Oakes Quote
I was thinking a cuppa or a light meter
Or a bird identification guide? Antelope/Ibex identification guide? Hippopotamus/Rhino identification guide.....

Great job Ronald! Unfortunately, I'm retired and no longer have free access to a machine shop.

Last edited by Apet-Sure; 08-25-2019 at 02:05 PM. Reason: ..
08-25-2019, 02:11 PM   #22
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,459
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
I drive a '93 Jeep Cherokee (still runs great).



Or a bird identification guide? Antelope/Ibex identification guide? Hippopotamus/Rhino identification guide.....

Great job Ronald! Unfortunately, I'm retired and no longer have free access to a machine shop.
The Bird Guide is probably the best occupant....lol.
Im very fortunate to have a $20 yearly membership at the Bell Metal Club. I have to pay $496 a year in Rec Center fees just living here. Sun City comes with certain "Perks" that come in very handy.

08-25-2019, 02:20 PM - 1 Like   #23
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Kerrowdown's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Highlands of Scotland
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 53,304
QuoteOriginally posted by Ronald Oakes Quote
A better Car window mount ?
I've used Large Double Camera Bean Bags with great success... just a thought.
Attached Images
   
08-25-2019, 08:35 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Working From Home
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,276
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I have tried a monopod in both my own car and in an open safari vehicle. It's not always possible to get one into position, and sometimes the 'pod is leaning inward awkwardly (=if there's a wide elbow rest on the door).


Another thing I've used is a simple board (2X4) that was measured & cut to fit from the base of the window atop the dashboard to the top of the passenger seat back just where the headrest attaches, snugged in place by tilting the passenger seat back forward. Use a beanbag or attach whatever head and shoot out the passenger window. Works well, but the panning range is extremely limited. I used it primarily because the driver's side is sometimes the wrong side for shooting, but you must park the car just right to get the correct FOV out the passenger window.
The Eckla people make a board for just that purpose that attaches to the headrest and has multiple support options. Pricey, sure but looks like it is well designed and executed.
08-26-2019, 05:01 AM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,459
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The Eckla people make a board for just that purpose that attaches to the headrest and has multiple support options. Pricey, sure but looks like it is well designed and executed.
I saw that. However it also assures they will be alone as there is NO room for a passenger.
08-26-2019, 05:07 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
WPRESTO's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 50,283
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The Eckla people make a board for just that purpose that attaches to the headrest and has multiple support options. Pricey, sure but looks like it is well designed and executed.
Things are so different now. The first time I heard of a cushion of some kind for steadying a tele on a car door was an article in a photo magazine (Modern or Popular Photography, probably the former) sometime in the early 1960's (?). The advice: get a cloth flour sack (5lb size), fill it with lentils (right size, reasonably light weight, inexpensive, available, durable for the function). There were no such things as a manufactured bean bag, Eckla-type window mount, or gimbal head. Lentils are still readily available, but flour in a 5lb cloth bag? Not at any grocery store where I shop. The bag would have to be from some brands of rice.
08-26-2019, 07:02 AM - 1 Like   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Working From Home
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,276
QuoteOriginally posted by Ronald Oakes Quote
I saw that. However it also assures they will be alone as there is NO room for a passenger.
Your solution is pretty cool.
08-26-2019, 07:08 AM - 1 Like   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Working From Home
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,276
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Things are so different now. The first time I heard of a cushion of some kind for steadying a tele on a car door was an article in a photo magazine (Modern or Popular Photography, probably the former) sometime in the early 1960's (?). The advice: get a cloth flour sack (5lb size), fill it with lentils (right size, reasonably light weight, inexpensive, available, durable for the function). There were no such things as a manufactured bean bag, Eckla-type window mount, or gimbal head. Lentils are still readily available, but flour in a 5lb cloth bag? Not at any grocery store where I shop. The bag would have to be from some brands of rice.
i can get bulk flour at the local farmerís market (and just about any fresh stuff and bulk ingredients). Thereís still a hatchery in my business district too. If necessary I could go to the fabric store and get a yard of heavy muslin

Weird in suburban St. Louis, but its all still here. .
08-26-2019, 07:22 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
WPRESTO's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 50,283
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
i can get bulk flour at the local farmerís market (and just about any fresh stuff and bulk ingredients). Thereís still a hatchery in my business district too. If necessary I could go to the fabric store and get a yard of heavy muslin

Weird in suburban St. Louis, but its all still here. .
Bulk flour (40lb? 100LB?) in cloth bags = yes. 5lb of flour in a cloth bag? Can you purchase one?

BTW: In the first half of the 20th century, far, far more housewives sewed their own clothing especially in rural areas. Accessibility to and price of cloth were problems. Cloth from large flour sacks were used. Flour distributors , aware of this, began using cloth with a great diversity of pretty floral prints. Women's magazines offered instructions and patterns for converting printed floral sacking into attractive dresses. Mt. Holyoke College had a small display of the sacks, the patterns and instructions, and actual dresses made from flour sacking by American rural housewives. Another time, another ethic.
08-26-2019, 08:01 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Working From Home
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,276
Paper only, 4lb. In a case of 4 bags, or 25, 50lb. The merchant is a storefront for a restaurant supplier marketing mostly specialty flours (gluten-free, rice) but you can order. My wife still makes baby clothes. She made her wedding dress. My daughters and d-i-l have sewing and embroidery machines. We’re different. We live in a near suburbs b of St. Louis that purposely is still a Class 3 City and remains a sort of Rural Utility Co-Op.
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Bulk flour (40lb? 100LB?) in cloth bags = yes. 5lb of flour in a cloth bag? Can you purchase one?

BTW: In the first half of the 20th century, far, far more housewives sewed their own clothing especially in rural areas. Accessibility to and price of cloth were problems. Cloth from large flour sacks were used. Flour distributors , aware of this, began using cloth with a great diversity of pretty floral prints. Women's magazines offered instructions and patterns for converting printed floral sacking into attractive dresses. Mt. Holyoke College had a small display of the sacks, the patterns and instructions, and actual dresses made from flour sacking by American rural housewives. Another time, another ethic.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
bag, bags, bean, board, bulk, camera, car, car window, couple, door, front, head, im, lens, metal, morning, mount, period, tripod, unit, window
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Landscape Through a car window.. Staubach Post Your Photos! 3 08-06-2018 01:26 PM
considering car window mount for wildlife dwalt Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 30 02-26-2018 02:11 AM
Streets Out The Car Window with the DA 35ltd jsherman999 Post Your Photos! 5 12-27-2011 11:33 PM
Suggestion change the javascript imgwide window to a simple browser window JesseDavis Site Suggestions and Help 2 03-10-2010 10:25 AM
pano, rainstorm, car window jsherman999 Post Your Photos! 2 09-24-2008 09:02 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:33 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top