Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2019, 08:06 AM   #31
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Flour will get weevils I think! Buckwheat husks can be purchased online for filliing and refilling pillows and they are lighter, dry, do not absorb moisture, and shift easily but can be used as a pillow in a pinch!

08-26-2019, 08:24 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I gave it a spin this morning across the road from me at the Rec Center.
First off I need to drill a couple more mounting holes for the Head , as the rear one is too far back...
Then I need to make a 1 1/2" spacer for a "Proper" pan and tilt head as there is way too Much "monkey'n" around with the Ball Head shown.
Managed to get a couple "Mehhh" pics with a Panasonic Lumix G3 and my SMC-Pentax 400mm 5.6 lens.
For starters not too bad , but the M43 system isn't up to the task my KP can handle !

---------- Post added 08-26-19 at 08:32 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
i can get bulk flour at the local farmerís market (and just about any fresh stuff and bulk ingredients). Thereís still a hatchery in my business district too. If necessary I could go to the fabric store and get a yard of heavy muslin

Weird in suburban St. Louis, but its all still here. .
Out West here we have Bulk flower in big bags but I have no idea what the weight is. Beans and rice also in large bulk cotton bags. Its in nearly all the grocery stores. Our climate is conducive to cloth bags as its extremely dry here.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-G3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DMC-G3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DMC-G3  Photo 
08-26-2019, 10:33 AM - 1 Like   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Flour will get weevils I think! Buckwheat husks can be purchased online for filliing and refilling pillows and they are lighter, dry, do not absorb moisture, and shift easily but can be used as a pillow in a pinch!
Almost all flour contains eggs of a tiny beetle called Tribolium. In the past if flour were kept long enough, adult beetles would appear. No known processing could get the eggs out because they are smaller than particles of milled flour. Some companies graded flour based on the time since milling = the longer the time the sooner adult beetles would appear. Old flour was preferentially delivered to poor urban neighborhoods. Today, there is a sure way to kill the microscopic eggs and insure an extremely long shelf life for flour = irradiation, but SFAIK commercial flour is not so treated. Instead, more traditional attention to cleanliness and sealing of packages has substantially increased the average shelf life of flour (= time that flour has no sign of adult Tribolium). We have on rare occasions in the past encountered Tribolium in semi-processed foods such dry packaged macaroni & cheese mixes, or other similar products that come with at least component that contains flour or other milled grain in a sealed plastic bag. When that packet is dumped into water the adult beetles float to the surface .
08-26-2019, 12:23 PM - 1 Like   #34
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Already did a few changes.
Drilled a common row of holes and moved the head over one space.
Also machined a round bushing to raise the Pan head up 1.25"
Got rid of the Ball Head....that was NOT working out well at all.
Much happier now.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-G3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DMC-G3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DMC-G3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DMC-G3  Photo 
08-26-2019, 01:53 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well.....Its ok for V1.0..... but me being a Perfectionist ? lol.....Version V1.2 is on the way !

Last edited by Ronald Oakes; 08-26-2019 at 04:36 PM.
08-29-2019, 01:01 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Could you cut a slot rather than a series of holes and use a locking mechanism to hold the head in place?