Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 26 Likes Search this Thread
08-25-2019, 11:41 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by catfishjohn Quote
I find the pool noodle trick works OK. Of course you must get your passengers to stop jumping around trying to get a better view. This post got me thinking. What about a monopod down to the floorboard, between the seat and door. Have not tried it but it might work.
I was thinking along a similar line.

08-25-2019, 11:45 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by catfishjohn Quote
I find the pool noodle trick works OK. Of course you must get your passengers to stop jumping around trying to get a better view. This post got me thinking. What about a monopod down to the floorboard, between the seat and door. Have not tried it but it might work.
I have tried a monopod in both my own car and in an open safari vehicle. It's not always possible to get one into position, and sometimes the 'pod is leaning inward awkwardly (=if there's a wide elbow rest on the door).

Another thing I've used is a simple board (2X4) that was measured & cut to fit from the base of the window atop the dashboard to the top of the passenger seat back just where the headrest attaches, snugged in place by tilting the passenger seat back forward. Use a beanbag or attach whatever head and shoot out the passenger window. Works well, but the panning range is extremely limited. I used it primarily because the driver's side is sometimes the wrong side for shooting, but you must park the car just right to get the correct FOV out the passenger window.
08-25-2019, 11:47 AM - 4 Likes   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well.....things have progressed rapidly since last night.
I just got two holes drilled and mounted for a head.
I wanted it to be long for a 500mm lens , but I might have overdone it a bit.
This is my first attempt , and my total cost was only $8 including metal , welding supplies , powder coat , etc.
Its as solid as can be , and there is enough room close to my shoulder and hand on steering wheel.
My window goes fully up and down without disturbing anything , and one screw for support is all there is. I can quickly remove it.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-G3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DMC-G3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DMC-G3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DMC-G3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DMC-G3  Photo 
08-25-2019, 11:53 AM - 2 Likes   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's an elegant window mount, as good or better that any commercial unit. Period. And there's enough room in front of the camera to put your morning cuppa.

08-25-2019, 12:02 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
That's an elegant window mount, as good or better that any commercial unit. Period. And there's enough room in front of the camera to put your morning cuppa.
Thanks. I still have to put felt on the back so I don't add another scratch on my window....
Its an old car (2009) so I don't mind the hole drilled in my door panel.
I like it because there is no messing around with removing things. Just loosen the mount , swing it inside,,,,,Done !

---------- Post added 08-25-19 at 12:09 ----------

I was thinking a cuppa or a light meter ! Maybe both.....lol
08-25-2019, 02:01 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ronald Oakes Quote
Its an [old] car (2009)
I drive a '93 Jeep Cherokee (still runs great).

I was thinking a cuppa or a light meter
Or a bird identification guide? Antelope/Ibex identification guide? Hippopotamus/Rhino identification guide.....

Great job Ronald! Unfortunately, I'm retired and no longer have free access to a machine shop.

Last edited by Apet-Sure; 08-25-2019 at 02:05 PM. Reason: ..
08-25-2019, 02:11 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
I drive a '93 Jeep Cherokee (still runs great).

Or a bird identification guide? Antelope/Ibex identification guide? Hippopotamus/Rhino identification guide.....

Great job Ronald! Unfortunately, I'm retired and no longer have free access to a machine shop.
The Bird Guide is probably the best occupant....lol.
Im very fortunate to have a $20 yearly membership at the Bell Metal Club. I have to pay $496 a year in Rec Center fees just living here. Sun City comes with certain "Perks" that come in very handy.

08-25-2019, 02:20 PM - 1 Like   #23
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
A better Car window mount ?
I've used Large Double Camera Bean Bags with great success... just a thought.
Attached Images

08-25-2019, 08:35 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have tried a monopod in both my own car and in an open safari vehicle. It's not always possible to get one into position, and sometimes the 'pod is leaning inward awkwardly (=if there's a wide elbow rest on the door).

Another thing I've used is a simple board (2X4) that was measured & cut to fit from the base of the window atop the dashboard to the top of the passenger seat back just where the headrest attaches, snugged in place by tilting the passenger seat back forward. Use a beanbag or attach whatever head and shoot out the passenger window. Works well, but the panning range is extremely limited. I used it primarily because the driver's side is sometimes the wrong side for shooting, but you must park the car just right to get the correct FOV out the passenger window.
The Eckla people make a board for just that purpose that attaches to the headrest and has multiple support options. Pricey, sure but looks like it is well designed and executed.
08-26-2019, 05:01 AM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The Eckla people make a board for just that purpose that attaches to the headrest and has multiple support options. Pricey, sure but looks like it is well designed and executed.
I saw that. However it also assures they will be alone as there is NO room for a passenger.
08-26-2019, 05:07 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Things are so different now. The first time I heard of a cushion of some kind for steadying a tele on a car door was an article in a photo magazine (Modern or Popular Photography, probably the former) sometime in the early 1960's (?). The advice: get a cloth flour sack (5lb size), fill it with lentils (right size, reasonably light weight, inexpensive, available, durable for the function). There were no such things as a manufactured bean bag, Eckla-type window mount, or gimbal head. Lentils are still readily available, but flour in a 5lb cloth bag? Not at any grocery store where I shop. The bag would have to be from some brands of rice.
08-26-2019, 07:02 AM - 1 Like   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I saw that. However it also assures they will be alone as there is NO room for a passenger.
Your solution is pretty cool.
08-26-2019, 07:08 AM - 1 Like   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Things are so different now. The first time I heard of a cushion of some kind for steadying a tele on a car door was an article in a photo magazine (Modern or Popular Photography, probably the former) sometime in the early 1960's (?). The advice: get a cloth flour sack (5lb size), fill it with lentils (right size, reasonably light weight, inexpensive, available, durable for the function). There were no such things as a manufactured bean bag, Eckla-type window mount, or gimbal head. Lentils are still readily available, but flour in a 5lb cloth bag? Not at any grocery store where I shop. The bag would have to be from some brands of rice.
i can get bulk flour at the local farmer’s market (and just about any fresh stuff and bulk ingredients). There’s still a hatchery in my business district too. If necessary I could go to the fabric store and get a yard of heavy muslin

Weird in suburban St. Louis, but its all still here. .
08-26-2019, 07:22 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

i can get bulk flour at the local farmer’s market (and just about any fresh stuff and bulk ingredients). There’s still a hatchery in my business district too. If necessary I could go to the fabric store and get a yard of heavy muslin

Weird in suburban St. Louis, but its all still here. .
Bulk flour (40lb? 100LB?) in cloth bags = yes. 5lb of flour in a cloth bag? Can you purchase one?

BTW: In the first half of the 20th century, far, far more housewives sewed their own clothing especially in rural areas. Accessibility to and price of cloth were problems. Cloth from large flour sacks were used. Flour distributors , aware of this, began using cloth with a great diversity of pretty floral prints. Women's magazines offered instructions and patterns for converting printed floral sacking into attractive dresses. Mt. Holyoke College had a small display of the sacks, the patterns and instructions, and actual dresses made from flour sacking by American rural housewives. Another time, another ethic.
08-26-2019, 08:01 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Paper only, 4lb. In a case of 4 bags, or 25, 50lb. The merchant is a storefront for a restaurant supplier marketing mostly specialty flours (gluten-free, rice) but you can order. My wife still makes baby clothes. She made her wedding dress. My daughters and d-i-l have sewing and embroidery machines. We’re different. We live in a near suburbs b of St. Louis that purposely is still a Class 3 City and remains a sort of Rural Utility Co-Op.
Bulk flour (40lb? 100LB?) in cloth bags = yes. 5lb of flour in a cloth bag? Can you purchase one?

BTW: In the first half of the 20th century, far, far more housewives sewed their own clothing especially in rural areas. Accessibility to and price of cloth were problems. Cloth from large flour sacks were used. Flour distributors , aware of this, began using cloth with a great diversity of pretty floral prints. Women's magazines offered instructions and patterns for converting printed floral sacking into attractive dresses. Mt. Holyoke College had a small display of the sacks, the patterns and instructions, and actual dresses made from flour sacking by American rural housewives. Another time, another ethic.