Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2019, 04:51 AM   #1
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax Ua-1 adapter: is any one familiar with one, can it be used with the K 01 ?

QuoteQuote:
The Pentax UA-1 is a universal camera adapter designed for the Pentax PF-65 ED, PF 80 ED, PF-100ED scopes. It is fully compatible with all of the Pentax Optio cameras and various other point-and-shoot digital cameras. It allows the user to take incredible images that could otherwise only be taken with expensive telephoto lenses. The UA-1 adapter is highly adjustable and makes an excellent digiscoping tool.
this adapter, as I understand it, is to be attached to a spotting scope and allows you to use a point and shoot or phone camera to take photos

has anyone used one?

what has been the result

could it be used with the K 01

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-31-2019 at 05:10 AM.
08-31-2019, 07:38 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I think the whole thing with digiscoping is that you need a camera with a small front objective lens to capture the view from the scope eyepiece.

I don't know if there's a lens you can practically put on the K-01 and aim behind the spotting scope and not get a vignetted image.

For instance, over the years I wanted to capture the image seen on an SLR's screen, through the eyepiece. A full size camera won't do it, but putting a small point and shoot digital or a cellphone camera up to the eyepiece gets it done. Same idea with the digiscoping.
08-31-2019, 09:02 AM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ontarian50 Quote
I think the whole thing with digiscoping is that you need a camera with a small front objective lens to capture the view from the scope eyepiece.

I don't know if there's a lens you can practically put on the K-01 and aim behind the spotting scope and not get a vignetted image.

For instance, over the years I wanted to capture the image seen on an SLR's screen, through the eyepiece. A full size camera won't do it, but putting a small point and shoot digital or a cellphone camera up to the eyepiece gets it done. Same idea with the digiscoping.
thanks for the advice

the Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 XS is the lens I was thinking about using

https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/smc-pentax-da-40mm-f2.8-xs.html

???

any way, I don't know if I can even find one of the adapters currently
08-31-2019, 10:05 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax makes a K-mount spotting scope adapter, but it's $400...

Pentax PF-CA35 K-Mount Digiscoping Camera Adapter 70510 B&H

08-31-2019, 10:13 AM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Pentax makes a K-mount spotting scope adapter, but it's $400...

Pentax PF-CA35 K-Mount Digiscoping Camera Adapter 70510 B&H
thanks for the info

way above my budget
08-31-2019, 07:48 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A few years ago I was able to put a camera on a scope that one of the scope manufacturers had set up. I think it was Swarovski but I'm not sure. The results were not too impressive.
09-08-2019, 11:41 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I have an adapter to put my K20 onto the eyepiece of my Leica scope (without a camera lens). It needs a lot of patience, and no audience, to be able to use it with any proficiency - in my case exacerbated as I have to use Live View, and I am short-sighted. I have to aim the scope wearing distance specs, substitute reading specs, attach camera, then try to focus on the Live View screen in bright sunlight (anything less gives too long an exposure, even at 400 ISO). The camera responds slowly to changes in focus on the scope, so I spend a long time faffing around. Eventually a quick check through bins reveals that the bird in question has mated, nested, raised chicks and migrated while I was setting up.

Good luck