Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2019, 07:57 AM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Wanted: An effective writing pen

I need a writing product that will let me place an identifying mark on my camera memory cards. I simply need to associate each card with a specific camera. Generally I would just write a single letter: Z and D for the Pentax 645D and 645Z cameras, for example. The numerals 01, 1, 5, 3, 20, and 10 would do it for the 135 cameras, with each letter or numeral signifying the the specific camera with which each card is being used. This sounds like a really simple problem, but I cannot find anything to write with that is clear and permanent. Sharpies, lead pencil, ball point, even old-fashioned ink pens--none of these have worked for me. Some will not write all on the slick label of the cards, and others such as sharpies will write, but then quickly smudge and disappear. I will greatly appreciate any suggestions you can provide.

09-12-2019, 02:28 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting. I have never had an SD card out of the camera long enough for it to get mixed up with another camera, and as I usually format the card when I put it back in the camera it doesn't really matter which camera it goes into. The only card I have ever labelled (and that was recently) is the one with the file to push a K10D into DEBUG mode.

Others never take the SD card out, and use a cable to transfer files to the computer.

Another approach might be to use different size cards for different cameras. I use 128 MB cards in the 645Z and K-1's, 64 or 32's in the KP and GR III, and 16's in the Q.
09-12-2019, 03:16 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Interesting. I have never had an SD card out of the camera long enough for it to get mixed up with another camera, and as I usually format the card when I put it back in the camera it doesn't really matter which camera it goes into. The only card I have ever labelled (and that was recently) is the one with the file to push a K10D into DEBUG mode.

Others never take the SD card out, and use a cable to transfer files to the computer.

Another approach might be to use different size cards for different cameras. I use 128 MB cards in the 645Z and K-1's, 64 or 32's in the KP and GR III, and 16's in the Q.
Thank you Sandy.
09-12-2019, 06:47 PM   #4
Veteran Member

White Out.

09-12-2019, 07:15 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Or buy different brand cards for each camera. A Sony for one, Samsung for the other, etc.
09-12-2019, 09:10 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Get boxes and label them? For the cards themselves, you can assign volume names using your computer so that as a last resort, simply pop them into a reader.

Steve
09-12-2019, 10:56 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Get boxes and label them? For the cards themselves, you can assign volume names using your computer so that as a last resort, simply pop them into a reader.

Steve
Thanks for the idea. Actually, that is what I do now--assign names to each card that reflect the camera in which they are used. What I am seeking is a visual means of associating each card with its respective camera to avoid the necessity of popping every card in the computer card reader to identify it.

---------- Post added 09-13-19 at 02:00 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
Or buy different brand cards for each camera. A Sony for one, Samsung for the other, etc.
Good idea, and what I am doing now as a de facto solution, but with two medium format cameras and five K-mount cameras and a brain and memory that are approaching 80 years of age, this solution does not always work. That is why I am seeking a visual labelling solution so that I can visually identify the card that is used by each different camera.

---------- Post added 09-13-19 at 02:02 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Auzzie-Phoenix Quote
White Out.
Thanks for the idea. I will check this out. There used to be white-out pens, but with the disappearance of typewriters I am unsure whether they are still available. I see a trip to Staples in my future!

09-12-2019, 11:24 PM   #8
Pentaxian

How about the pens used to write on compact disks? If they still exist .

09-12-2019, 11:55 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Sharpies, lead pencil, ball point, even old-fashioned ink pens--none of these have worked for me.
Interesting... I use Sharpies to number my SD cards and my batteries. Have not noticed the sharpie wearing off on the SD cards. But I typically handle them from the edge, so I'm rarely touching the flat surface with the writing.

I guess you could use some acrylic paint (i.e. Liquitex or similar) and a small brush to paint the numbers on the cards.
09-13-2019, 02:02 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Use printable self-adhesive labels. Cut them half to reach the size.
You can write on them with a regular pallpoint pen. Or even print on them with your PC and printer
09-13-2019, 03:27 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
Use printable self-adhesive labels. Cut them half to reach the size.
You can write on them with a regular pallpoint pen. Or even print on them with your PC and printer
Good idea, will try it.

---------- Post added 09-13-19 at 06:29 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by david94903 Quote
Interesting... I use Sharpies to number my SD cards and my batteries. Have not noticed the sharpie wearing off on the SD cards. But I typically handle them from the edge, so I'm rarely touching the flat surface with the writing.

I guess you could use some acrylic paint (i.e. Liquitex or similar) and a small brush to paint the numbers on the cards.
I will try the sharpie again, maybe mine was not really a sharpie.

---------- Post added 09-13-19 at 06:30 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
How about the pens used to write on compact disks? If they still exist .
I do not know what kind of pens were used for the CDs, but will check this out too.

Thanks to everyone for all the ideas. I am sure one of these will work for me.
09-13-2019, 04:42 AM   #12
Pentaxian

If a label printer doesn't work (I'd print directly on it with a small font), just some white stickers meant to write on them, cut them to size and write.

I confess I'm surprised that a sharpie gets smudged.
09-13-2019, 05:40 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
If a label printer doesn't work (I'd print directly on it with a small font), just some white stickers meant to write on them, cut them to size and write.

I confess I'm surprised that a sharpie gets smudged.
I am trying the label approach, but will check out the sharpie again. Thank you for your response.
09-13-2019, 06:42 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

The problem with paint or a label is something coming off and getting all over inside your SD slot. I wouldn’t do either of those.

Another choice would be to only remove one at a time, load them onto your computer, then put them back.
09-13-2019, 09:37 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
The problem with paint or a label is something coming off and getting all over inside your SD slot. I wouldn’t do either of those.

Another choice would be to only remove one at a time, load them onto your computer, then put them back.
Thank you. Loading and unloading one at a time is what I have been trying (unsuccessfully) to do, but now it looks like the sharpie marking approach will work best.

NOTE TO ALL THE RESPONDERS:

Thanks everyone. I picked up a new package of sharpies, and they work. Don't quite know why I thought they did not work earlier. Thanks for all the responses and ideas.

Last edited by ivanvernon; 09-13-2019 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Add note.