Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2019, 11:10 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
TER-OR's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Dundee, IL
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,644
I have one of the pistol grip ballheads, it has a connector for the camera trigger cord, which is really convenient. Quality seems quite good.

09-13-2019, 11:29 AM   #17
Pentaxian
Oldbayrunner's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Kingsville, MD
Posts: 1,418
I owned the Vanguards and they are decent but I've been partial to using Manfrotto for the past few years. Right now there is a really good deal on Adorama for the Manfrotto MHXPRO-BHQ6- XPRO with a Platypod Pro Max Plate, with a mail in rebate works out to $219.00

[URL="https://www.adorama.com/bgmhxpbhq6a.html"]
09-13-2019, 12:45 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Alex645's Avatar

Join Date: May 2015
Location: Kaneohe, HI
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,191
QuoteOriginally posted by 7.62lew Quote
I need a new head for my tripod and was wondering about the quality of the Vanguard brand. I am looking at this as it has an attractive price. From what i can gather it was around $159 in 2012 when it was released? Not much info I can find. The legs are a 190go manfrotto and my biggest set up is a 400 5.6 prime and K5IIs. May be overkill as it say's will support 44 lbs? Recommendations?

https://www.cameta.com/Vanguard-TBH-250-Magnesium-Alloy-Ball-Head-with-Quick-Release-87742.cfm
I've bought and used Vanguard branded tripod legs and heads and have found them to be above average in quality. Factor in the price and they are one of the best.

Is a 44 lbs support weight overkill with your 400mm and K5IIs? Yes and no. Yes, you could get a cheaper, lighter head that supports a third of that weight, but it won't be as solidly secure than a better head like the Vanguard TBH-250.
Ball heads are inherently less secure than most other head types, so if you want the convenience of the ball head, getting a stronger model is wise.
09-13-2019, 01:17 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: North Carolina
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,143
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Advice about Gitzo and RRS is fine, but clearly not what you're looking for...

I have a (stronger) ballhead from Vanguard dating from around the same era yours is, and love it, it's well made and reliable.

However, in 2019 my recommendation for a ballhead is to look at Sirui. their products have an excellent balance of price vs performances. Within your budget, the K10x will be stronger and more reliable than the one you linked to.
Thanks for the input. I will take a look at the Sirui.

---------- Post added 09-13-2019 at 04:25 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
I have one of the pistol grip ballheads, it has a connector for the camera trigger cord, which is really convenient. Quality seems quite good.
Cool thanks. Have not thought about a pistol grip. Will have to think about that.

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
I owned the Vanguards and they are decent but I've been partial to using Manfrotto for the past few years. Right now there is a really good deal on Adorama for the Manfrotto MHXPRO-BHQ6- XPRO with a Platypod Pro Max Plate, with a mail in rebate works out to $219.00

[URL="https://www.adorama.com/bgmhxpbhq6a.html?"]
The MXHPRO does get good reviews.

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
I've bought and used Vanguard branded tripod legs and heads and have found them to be above average in quality. Factor in the price and they are one of the best.

Is a 44 lbs support weight overkill with your 400mm and K5IIs? Yes and no. Yes, you could get a cheaper, lighter head that supports a third of that weight, but it won't be as solidly secure than a better head like the Vanguard TBH-250.
Ball heads are inherently less secure than most other head types, so if you want the convenience of the ball head, getting a stronger model is wise.
Good point. I have been checking the weight on the ball heads, but maybe a little heavier is better. Would still be in the range for my tripod.
Thanks

09-13-2019, 01:32 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Rochester, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,860
I have used the Vanguard 100 series and 250 series ball heads without any problem. They work fine. Their latest models support the Arca system. My older 250 uses the Vanguard mounting plate, but installed a Demsond Quick release clamp on it.
10-02-2019, 10:06 AM   #21
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
csa's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Montana mountains
Posts: 9,942
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
However, in 2019 my recommendation for a ballhead is to look at Sirui. their products have an excellent balance of price vs performances. Within your budget, the K10x will be stronger and more reliable than the one you linked to.
I highly second this suggestion! I have the K10x and absolutely love it. Very well made, strong, and haven't had one complaint while using it!
10-02-2019, 05:34 PM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: North Carolina
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,143
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I highly second this suggestion! I have the K10x and absolutely love it. Very well made, strong, and haven't had one complaint while using it!
I did alot of thinking about all of the input on this thread. I decided to spend a little more money and maybe not have to buy another tripod or head. I bought a used, like new Acratech GV2 for a reasonable price (reasonable compared to new). It seems really well made and fits my lens line up well. I will try to post a review after I have had time to ring it out. Thanks for all the input!

10-02-2019, 05:53 PM   #23
Veteran Member
kevinWE's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Illinois, USA
Posts: 497
I do not use ball head's. I'm strictly a pan-tilt user.

But I am a fan of Vanguard. The Vanguard Alta Pro 263AP tripod is on my wish list.
10-08-2019, 08:13 AM   #24
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
csa's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Montana mountains
Posts: 9,942
QuoteOriginally posted by 7.62lew Quote
I did alot of thinking about all of the input on this thread. I decided to spend a little more money and maybe not have to buy another tripod or head. I bought a used, like new Acratech GV2 for a reasonable price (reasonable compared to new). It seems really well made and fits my lens line up well. I will try to post a review after I have had time to ring it out. Thanks for all the input!
That is also an excellent ball head! Congratulations!
10-09-2019, 09:13 AM   #25
Senior Member




Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 200
QuoteOriginally posted by 7.62lew Quote
I need a new head for my tripod and was wondering about the quality of the Vanguard brand. I am looking at this as it has an attractive price. From what i can gather it was around $159 in 2012 when it was released? Not much info I can find. The legs are a 190go manfrotto and my biggest set up is a 400 5.6 prime and K5IIs. May be overkill as it say's will support 44 lbs? Recommendations?

https://www.cameta.com/Vanguard-TBH-250-Magnesium-Alloy-Ball-Head-with-Quick-Release-87742.cfm
This is an awesome head and would highly recommend it. The head is something that you do not want to scrimp on, as it may be at least as important as a good tripod.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
ball, head, heads, quality, thanks, tripod, vanguard, vanguard ball, weight
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: Manfrotto 190 xproB; Ball head 486rc2 and ball head 808rc4 Not Registered Sold Items 6 05-31-2008 06:06 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:06 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top