Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
09-12-2019, 02:22 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Vanguard Ball Head?

I need a new head for my tripod and was wondering about the quality of the Vanguard brand. I am looking at this as it has an attractive price. From what i can gather it was around $159 in 2012 when it was released? Not much info I can find. The legs are a 190go manfrotto and my biggest set up is a 400 5.6 prime and K5IIs. May be overkill as it say's will support 44 lbs? Recommendations?

https://www.cameta.com/Vanguard-TBH-250-Magnesium-Alloy-Ball-Head-with-Quick-Release-87742.cfm

Last edited by 7.62lew; 09-12-2019 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Typo
09-12-2019, 02:38 PM - 2 Likes   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by 7.62lew Quote
Recommendations?
Yes a bit dearer, but IMHO there is no finer head available...

Really Right Stuff BH-55 Pro with B2 Pro II Clamp reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
09-12-2019, 02:46 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Nice! But alas not in the budget. Maybe at some point. The edge of my comfort zone would be around $130 max and would prob be xpro.
09-12-2019, 02:49 PM - 1 Like   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Nice! But alas not in the budget. Maybe at some point. The edge of my comfort zone would be around $130 max and would prob be xpro.
Really believe it's worth hanging on for... until you have the required funds or even maybe consider a pre owned one.

I bought my first one for a specific job...

09-12-2019, 02:59 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am biased because I prefer Gitzo.......

Used Gitzo GH3382QD Series 3 Centre Ball Head | Wex Photo Video
09-12-2019, 03:14 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
I am biased because I prefer Gitzo.......

Used Gitzo GH3382QD Series 3 Centre Ball Head | Wex Photo Video
Yeah that looks like a well made piece of equipment. The surface finish reminds me of a good industrial cnc machine.
09-12-2019, 03:21 PM - 3 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah that looks like a well made piece of equipment. The surface finish reminds me of a good industrial cnc machine.
I think we all go through the process of buying one or more tripods/heads that are "reasonable" and "light", before realising that if you are going to own a tripod....make sure it it is solid enough for your camera/ lens.. There is no such thing as lightweight and cheap ...there is just good

09-12-2019, 03:45 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I just spent some money on the Acratech GP-ss...very/highly sweet...but expensive. Worth the money? Dunno...expensive, but I've not been satisfied until now, so therein lies my answer to myself.
09-12-2019, 04:01 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
I think we all go through the process of buying one or more tripods/heads that are "reasonable" and "light", before realising that if you are going to own a tripod....make sure it it is solid enough for your camera/ lens.. There is no such thing as lightweight and cheap ...there is just good
There’s a place for lightweight and cheap tripods.

The trick is understanding when you aren’t in that place

-Eric
09-12-2019, 04:50 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
There’s a place for lightweight and cheap tripods.
I am sure there is....just not in my bag
09-12-2019, 05:33 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I think the my 190go is rated for 15lbs? And max weight of my camera with my 400mm is pushing may 6 lbs, prob closer to 5. And most times will be much lighter. So just kicking around what to get that won't be over-kill (size wise) for the tripod, but is not junk. I like having separate friction, lock and panning knobs and don't think I would like any of the heads with just a single lock for the ball. It is nice to adjust the friction for what is installed.
09-12-2019, 06:25 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
I just spent some money on the Acratech GP-ss...very/highly sweet...but expensive. Worth the money? Dunno...expensive, but I've not been satisfied until now, so therein lies my answer to myself.
I have been leaning that direction as well, though the GP, not the GP-ss. May I ask what it is that makes the Acratech "sweet" for you?

Steve
09-13-2019, 02:18 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I have been leaning that direction as well, though the GP, not the GP-ss. May I ask what it is that makes the Acratech "sweet" for you?
Steve
The GP-ss was a little smaller than I imagined, but it locks well and the adjustments are very nice (even with my 645z or K1). I got mine with the quick release lever - which was even more expensive. AcraTech is one of the few companies that adheres to the "Arca-Swiss" standard, and has a detent pin for whichever plate you plan to use. Arca plates seem to have two standards - one with the little pins at the ends, and the other with the shaped-out portion under the plate. The AcraTech works perfectly with both.

Having had so many heads...its hard to explain why I waited, and why now I am extremely happy - even though I feel its a bit too expensive.

You'll see what I mean.
09-13-2019, 04:44 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Advice about Gitzo and RRS is fine, but clearly not what you're looking for...

I have a (stronger) ballhead from Vanguard dating from around the same era yours is, and love it, it's well made and reliable.

However, in 2019 my recommendation for a ballhead is to look at Sirui. their products have an excellent balance of price vs performances. Within your budget, the K10x will be stronger and more reliable than the one you linked to.
09-13-2019, 06:23 AM   #15
Pentaxian

They work. I have had one for a while and it is reliable. I don't like ball heads so it suits in a box most of the time, but nothing wrong with it. The model i got had a weird plate and clamp. I changed it to an arca swiss type.