Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2019, 11:10 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have one of the pistol grip ballheads, it has a connector for the camera trigger cord, which is really convenient. Quality seems quite good.

09-13-2019, 11:29 AM   #17
Pentaxian

I owned the Vanguards and they are decent but I've been partial to using Manfrotto for the past few years. Right now there is a really good deal on Adorama for the Manfrotto MHXPRO-BHQ6- XPRO with a Platypod Pro Max Plate, with a mail in rebate works out to $219.00

[URL="https://www.adorama.com/bgmhxpbhq6a.html"]
09-13-2019, 12:45 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 7.62lew Quote
I need a new head for my tripod and was wondering about the quality of the Vanguard brand. I am looking at this as it has an attractive price. From what i can gather it was around $159 in 2012 when it was released? Not much info I can find. The legs are a 190go manfrotto and my biggest set up is a 400 5.6 prime and K5IIs. May be overkill as it say's will support 44 lbs? Recommendations?

https://www.cameta.com/Vanguard-TBH-250-Magnesium-Alloy-Ball-Head-with-Quick-Release-87742.cfm
I've bought and used Vanguard branded tripod legs and heads and have found them to be above average in quality. Factor in the price and they are one of the best.

Is a 44 lbs support weight overkill with your 400mm and K5IIs? Yes and no. Yes, you could get a cheaper, lighter head that supports a third of that weight, but it won't be as solidly secure than a better head like the Vanguard TBH-250.
Ball heads are inherently less secure than most other head types, so if you want the convenience of the ball head, getting a stronger model is wise.
09-13-2019, 01:17 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Advice about Gitzo and RRS is fine, but clearly not what you're looking for...

I have a (stronger) ballhead from Vanguard dating from around the same era yours is, and love it, it's well made and reliable.

However, in 2019 my recommendation for a ballhead is to look at Sirui. their products have an excellent balance of price vs performances. Within your budget, the K10x will be stronger and more reliable than the one you linked to.
Thanks for the input. I will take a look at the Sirui.

---------- Post added 09-13-2019 at 04:25 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
I have one of the pistol grip ballheads, it has a connector for the camera trigger cord, which is really convenient. Quality seems quite good.
Cool thanks. Have not thought about a pistol grip. Will have to think about that.

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
I owned the Vanguards and they are decent but I've been partial to using Manfrotto for the past few years. Right now there is a really good deal on Adorama for the Manfrotto MHXPRO-BHQ6- XPRO with a Platypod Pro Max Plate, with a mail in rebate works out to $219.00

[URL="https://www.adorama.com/bgmhxpbhq6a.html?"]
The MXHPRO does get good reviews.

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
I've bought and used Vanguard branded tripod legs and heads and have found them to be above average in quality. Factor in the price and they are one of the best.

Is a 44 lbs support weight overkill with your 400mm and K5IIs? Yes and no. Yes, you could get a cheaper, lighter head that supports a third of that weight, but it won't be as solidly secure than a better head like the Vanguard TBH-250.
Ball heads are inherently less secure than most other head types, so if you want the convenience of the ball head, getting a stronger model is wise.
Good point. I have been checking the weight on the ball heads, but maybe a little heavier is better. Would still be in the range for my tripod.
Thanks

09-13-2019, 01:32 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have used the Vanguard 100 series and 250 series ball heads without any problem. They work fine. Their latest models support the Arca system. My older 250 uses the Vanguard mounting plate, but installed a Demsond Quick release clamp on it.
10-02-2019, 10:06 AM   #21
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
However, in 2019 my recommendation for a ballhead is to look at Sirui. their products have an excellent balance of price vs performances. Within your budget, the K10x will be stronger and more reliable than the one you linked to.
I highly second this suggestion! I have the K10x and absolutely love it. Very well made, strong, and haven't had one complaint while using it!
10-02-2019, 05:34 PM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I highly second this suggestion! I have the K10x and absolutely love it. Very well made, strong, and haven't had one complaint while using it!
I did alot of thinking about all of the input on this thread. I decided to spend a little more money and maybe not have to buy another tripod or head. I bought a used, like new Acratech GV2 for a reasonable price (reasonable compared to new). It seems really well made and fits my lens line up well. I will try to post a review after I have had time to ring it out. Thanks for all the input!

10-02-2019, 05:53 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I do not use ball head's. I'm strictly a pan-tilt user.

But I am a fan of Vanguard. The Vanguard Alta Pro 263AP tripod is on my wish list.
10-08-2019, 08:13 AM   #24
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I did alot of thinking about all of the input on this thread. I decided to spend a little more money and maybe not have to buy another tripod or head. I bought a used, like new Acratech GV2 for a reasonable price (reasonable compared to new). It seems really well made and fits my lens line up well. I will try to post a review after I have had time to ring it out. Thanks for all the input!
That is also an excellent ball head! Congratulations!
10-09-2019, 09:13 AM   #25

I need a new head for my tripod and was wondering about the quality of the Vanguard brand. I am looking at this as it has an attractive price. From what i can gather it was around $159 in 2012 when it was released? Not much info I can find. The legs are a 190go manfrotto and my biggest set up is a 400 5.6 prime and K5IIs. May be overkill as it say's will support 44 lbs? Recommendations?

https://www.cameta.com/Vanguard-TBH-250-Magnesium-Alloy-Ball-Head-with-Quick-Release-87742.cfm
This is an awesome head and would highly recommend it. The head is something that you do not want to scrimp on, as it may be at least as important as a good tripod.