Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2008, 10:00 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Monopod or Chestpod?

My in-laws let me borrow their old Vivitar V-3000 (if I remember right), so I could say I have a tripod. The problem with the tripod is the TRI, meaning setting it up though it is more stable.

I would like to buy something that will be easy to deploy, like a monopod. In my research I found a chestpod (Cullmann 2702 Chestpod Magic) for around $80.

The idea of a chest pod sounds nice, but is it worth it? Is a monopod better?

The reason I looking for something like that is when I'm walking around near the mountains.

Thanks for your feedbacks!

10-13-2008, 02:41 PM   #2
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by YJD Quote
My in-laws let me borrow their old Vivitar V-3000 (if I remember right), so I could say I have a tripod. The problem with the tripod is the TRI, meaning setting it up though it is more stable...

I would like to buy something that will be easy to deploy, like a monopod.
The key word here is old. Go to a (real) camera store and look at some of the tripods on display. If possible check out the Manfrotto and Gitzo brands too. I'd be guessing but I'll bet the V-3000 cost less than $30. and not much more than that now if one were available. Even the cheaper brands (Sunpak, Velbon, etc) will set up quickly and be more stable than what you now have. Monopods have their place, but they are far from stable. (try walking away from one or take a long exposure photo with one).

Last edited by clee01l; 10-13-2008 at 02:47 PM.
10-13-2008, 02:58 PM   #3
YJD
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the comment, and thanks for the info about the Vivitar tripod.

I don't have any camera store around me, well except Walmart and Radioshack, which don't count really. So I will not be able to test one out (I wish I could)

Sometime ago, I was looking to buy the Slik Sprint Pro, but I have been thinking of something easy to carry around and in my mind a tripod is not made for that! So I was looking at a monopod (I've been doing more research and people are saying it's not worth it).

I would like to get a witness from the other side (the ones loving monopods) to make my mind. Even if I agree with you clee01 about the stability and the long exposure, I would like to know the benefit of a monopod.
10-13-2008, 03:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A chestpod can help you stabilize a heavy camera over just handheld, but, and here is the rub, you are not a stable platform and the chestpod is going to transmit your breathing, shifting of weight, and even your heartbeat. A Monopod will eliminate rising and falling motion. It will not eliminate pitch and yaw (although they will be somewhat attenuated). A tripod (in non-windy conditions) is stable. It has no up and down motion, no pitch, and no yaw. Maybe a monopod would be a close second if someone would invent a gyrostabilized head for it.

10-13-2008, 03:52 PM   #5
YJD
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have been reading this post and I found a lot of information...maybe too much.

Anyway, the Giottos MM5580 looks pretty good... just a few dollars over my budget price at B&H! So does the Giottos MM99x0.

The Bogen / Manfrotto 681B Monopod (Black) with 3229 Head looks not bad either.

What do you guys thinks?
10-13-2008, 06:12 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

What do you guys thinks?

I have the similar 679B and 3229 head though I got them separately.
Amazon.com: Bogen Manfrotto 679B Monopod & 234RC/3229 3D Swivel Tilt QR Head: Camera & Photo

I'm not a fan of tripods, though mine is a used Ambico that was $99 when new. It has a few "features" but is missing actual stability. Even with a 2-second delay, using the 55-300 still had motion blur. I've used it on the 4th of July and one night scene. :-(

I'm only slightly more willing to haul the monopod around, though I seem to never take it anywhere. It might be handy if you are the bleachers, for instance, as you can just park it between your knees, unlike a tripod. Second, it is semi-portable, so you can sort of move around from spot to spot without tripping over it. I just tuck the handle strap into my belt when I'm not using it, so it is easily accessible as an ugly-stick when needed.

I like the 3-section better than the the 4-section variety. It is a little longer when collapsed, but it seems there is less twisting involved getting the right height.
10-13-2008, 06:35 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a 679b and tilt head as well and use it alot. It is very handy with a heavy lens

10-13-2008, 06:56 PM   #8
YJD
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I found the Bogen / Manfrotto 679B Monopod (Black) with 3229 Head at B&H, I might take that one when I'll have the money. I gain a few inches compare to the 681.

Did any one tried that Giottos MM55v0 ?
I like the fact you can 'transform' it into a 'tripod'.
10-14-2008, 11:03 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have been reading this post and I found a lot of information...maybe too much.

Anyway, the Giottos MM5580 looks pretty good... just a few dollars over my budget price at B&H! So does the Giottos MM99x0.

What do you guys thinks?
I've got a 680 and the 3229 head, and it gets at least equal time with my tripod. Works great with K100D and heaviest lens (Promaster 70-300). A few samples below...

Jim