Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2008, 05:13 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Well I lost last night looking at the Acratech GV2? the Gimbal kinda headed thingy. It's pretty cool itself but Ron you hit the nail on the head. I've lost several days I could have been out shooting obsessing over this. I would have gone Markins until it became more expensive when you add in the cost of converting to RRS clamp and plates and this was a priority, maybe a wrong priority and certainly in the long run a more expensive one but I don't want any compatibility issues with plates and since RRS seems to have the best variety of custom plates along with a tremendous selection of flash brackets, panning options etc etc I've gone all the way RRS. BH-55 w/lever release, L-bracket and a plate for my DA* 300/4. The deed is done!
Markus even welcomed me to the family:-), that was pretty cool. I forgot to ask him when supper time was because it'll take me awhile to be able to afford some groceries, lol.
Thanks for all your input guys, greatly appreciated. Give me a call the next time you're over my way, Ron, and I'll buy you a beer.

10-27-2008, 05:27 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Good choice I'm sure I would've gone that route if I could afford it at the time. I'm sure you'll be happy with it. Congratulations and do update us when you get it.
10-27-2008, 05:41 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
soccerjoe5. I've never answered one question that you asked of me. At the moment the DA* 300/4 with a 1.4X or 2X converter is the biggest lens I have but I don't know what the future holds and since I'm spending this much already I didn't want to get the M10 or BH-40 and then stumble upon a great deal on some bigger lens and have to think about whether or not it would be to much for the smaller head to handle. I'm not a hiker per se. I'm usually around rivers, floating them or wading them or camping, so the extra weight is not as much concern as something solid for whatever I may want to load on it.
10-27-2008, 11:24 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eaglerapids Quote
soccerjoe5. I've never answered one question that you asked of me. At the moment the DA* 300/4 with a 1.4X or 2X converter is the biggest lens I have but I don't know what the future holds and since I'm spending this much already I didn't want to get the M10 or BH-40 and then stumble upon a great deal on some bigger lens and have to think about whether or not it would be to much for the smaller head to handle. I'm not a hiker per se. I'm usually around rivers, floating them or wading them or camping, so the extra weight is not as much concern as something solid for whatever I may want to load on it.
No problem, I just think you should get what you're comfortable in spending on.

Just for comparing, I believe the M10 is comparable to the BH-55 while the Q3 is the one comparable to the BH-40. The M20 is just a monster.

10-28-2008, 07:36 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eaglerapids Quote
Well I lost last night looking at the Acratech GV2? the Gimbal kinda headed thingy. It's pretty cool itself but Ron you hit the nail on the head. I've lost several days I could have been out shooting obsessing over this. I would have gone Markins until it became more expensive when you add in the cost of converting to RRS clamp and plates and this was a priority, maybe a wrong priority and certainly in the long run a more expensive one but I don't want any compatibility issues with plates and since RRS seems to have the best variety of custom plates along with a tremendous selection of flash brackets, panning options etc etc I've gone all the way RRS. BH-55 w/lever release, L-bracket and a plate for my DA* 300/4. The deed is done!
Markus even welcomed me to the family:-), that was pretty cool. I forgot to ask him when supper time was because it'll take me awhile to be able to afford some groceries, lol.
Thanks for all your input guys, greatly appreciated. Give me a call the next time you're over my way, Ron, and I'll buy you a beer.
You beat me to it, I was going to mention that new Acratech head with the "Gimbal Feature" lol. I tried one of their ball heads (which ended up just confirming for me that I really, really don't like ball heads!) and have a couple of their leveling bases, which will be something ELSE you'll want to consider when you get that Sidekick - to keep things level when you're panning. (Or you could try one of the Manfrotto ones, of which I've used the screw-lock version.) RRS makes great "stuff," I'm sure you'll enjoy using it. I've got their BL16 Converter Clamp, which I curse them for discontinuing (in case I ever needed to replace it), which enables you to use just the camera base plates (the converter clamp serves as the L-Bracket), and the contraption I just put together for my 135-600 F6.7 (using their clamps and 18" rail) to get the balance under control.
10-31-2008, 07:42 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
My stuff was waiting for me when I got home from work tonight!
Wow. I was expecting a lot........and I got it. I've got it all set up but haven't used it because........
Well, because for a tripod I have a Slik U212 that I've used for many years. You know, it's been ok but with the ballhead purchase it's time for a much better tripod and what better than a Gitzo? I've been on a tripod research trip this week waiting for the BH-55 and wondering how the hell I could pay for a Gitzo and I came to the sobering conclusion that I couldn't and I'm not subjecting myself to another two weeks of bashing my head against the wall over a tripod.
So I bought a Feisol CT-3342.
Feisol Tournament Class at ReallyBigCameras.com
off Ebay with the 25% cashback thingy from Microsoft.
I've seen guys here recommending the Feisols and they seem to be getting some great reviews and customer service is reputed to be outstanding.
Man, I hate cutting corners here but for about $250 (after cashback, which I didn't know takes 60 days!) I took the chance. If I hadn't done this I would have done something dumb and rationalized my way into a Gitzo which I cannot afford, durn it. I maybe could afford a Gitzo next year but I need something better now (The Eagles are coming:-)).
This Feisol just has to be light years better than the old U212, I hope, it's almost 4 pounds lighter!
You Gitzo guys are free to bash me over this decision, I would like to hear your thoughts anyway and a discussion of the pros and cons might help others trying to make a decision. But my decision is made.
I damn near went for the CT-3371
Feisol CT-3371 and CT-3471 at ReallyBigCameras.com
I'm afraid my BH-55 and camera will make the CT-3342 to top heavy but I like this idea of Feisol's "Tournament" carbon fiber and I went for the weight savings. The CT-3372
Feisol CT-3372 and CT-3472 at ReallyBigCameras.com
would have been ideal for me but again, it's to expensive for me at this time and I went for the cost savings.