Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 36 Likes Search this Thread
09-30-2019, 02:09 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

A good, personal pen can be invaluable...

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I like to carry a good pen on my person on a regular basis.

Think actress May West once said a good pen was hard to find...or was that a good man ?

Well whatever she said it is always handy to have a good pen around. I use mine for photographic notes and other notes that require writing down, before I forget them.

I used to have one of those pocket sleeves in my shirt pocket, but it was a bit too nerdy, even for the likes of me.

I always carry my trusty Fisher Space Pen in my pants pocket. I have the 'Bullet' version which has rounded ends and so far doesn't seem to have a proclivity for wearing a hole in the pocket. It has a pressurized ink refill, none of this gravity feed for me ! It writes under water, haven't had to do that yet and has some other remarkable features.

Not too expensive and I wouldn't leave home without it.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact...6metN2pLG8qHhg

What do you carry around as a writing instrument ?

09-30-2019, 02:14 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In addition to keeping a couple of pens & a Sharpie in the car, I also have a box of multicolored chalk stowed away.

I rarely carry a pen on my person when not at work or one of my volunteering gigs.
09-30-2019, 02:35 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am a retired LEO and used those Fisher Space Pens in my work. I could write tickets in the rain or fill out other paperwork that got wet (I was motor patrol most of the time). For backup I kept pencils handy, yes I actually filled out a ticket using a pencil if I didn't have my space pen.
09-30-2019, 02:39 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Skilcraft B3 Aviator

Skilcraft B3 Aviator
black finish over brass wears beautifully like an old Pentax ES
Made in USA by Industries for the Blind for a good cause.

7520015649906 B3 Aviator Retractable Multifunction Pen, Black/red Ink, Medium | ibSupply.com

09-30-2019, 03:09 PM - 1 Like   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

My "daily carry" pen is a Lamy Safari rollerball (the matt black version with a textured finish). It's light weight, chunky, comfortable to hold, and the genuine Lamy M63 rollerball cartridges are fabulous to write with and extremely reliable. I take notes in medium-size Moleskine-style hard-cover notebooks that I buy from a large stationery chain. They're very nearly as good as the real thing with excellent quality paper, a built in wallet and elastic strap, but half the price.

I have a Mont Blanc Meisterstuck Le Grand rollerball that I use for formal and business occasions (rare for me, these days), but in all honesty the Lamy is nicer to use for longer periods
09-30-2019, 03:23 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
What do you carry around as a writing instrument ?
For photo outings, I'll often carry a Faber-Castell 'Perfect Pencil' (the low-cost one, which I got at a stationery shop in The Hague) and a small Japanese-made maruman Mnemosyne coil notepad.
https://mostwanted-pens.com/en/writing-instruments/pencils/1746/faber-castel...l-design-black
https://www.jetpens.com/Maruman-Mnemosyne-N185A-Roots-Memo-Pad-A7-Unruled/pd/7380

Otherwise, my everyday carry: Parker Jotter ballpoint, Pilot Vanishing Point pencil, and notebook. Well, not exactly everyday. Usually, either the pen or the pencil is in my shirt pocket, and the notebook is often replaced by a 3x5-inch notecard.

I also have a Parker 75 cisele ballpoint, which has been with me since second-year university in the mid 70s -- it's not an everyday carry, but it's at hand on my study desk. I did use it a lot during my professional career.

Since Pilot discontinued the $15 Vanishing Point pencil a while ago, it has developed something of a cult following -- they frequently sell for $100 or higher on eBay. It's a high quality, well-balanced instrument, and my favourite mechanical pencil.

Workshop everyday pencil: Lee Valley. Lee Valley Pencils - Lee Valley Tools

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 09-30-2019 at 03:44 PM.
09-30-2019, 04:00 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've embraced digital. When I carry a pen, it also has a stylus to quickly take notes on my phone or tablet.

09-30-2019, 04:32 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
A Rapidograph technical pen with a 3x0 (0.25mm) point and black India ink was my favorite back when I had to handwrite. But as with photography, writing is now digital for me.
09-30-2019, 05:07 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
For photo outings, I'll often carry a Faber-Castell 'Perfect Pencil' (the low-cost one, which I got at a stationery shop in The Hague) and a small Japanese-made maruman Mnemosyne coil notepad.
Faber-Castell Perfect pencil DESIGN black | Mostwanted Pens
Maruman Mnemosyne N185A Roots Memo Pad - A7 - Unruled | JetPens

Otherwise, my everyday carry: Parker Jotter ballpoint, Pilot Vanishing Point pencil, and notebook. Well, not exactly everyday. Usually, either the pen or the pencil is in my shirt pocket, and the notebook is often replaced by a 3x5-inch notecard.

I also have a Parker 75 cisele ballpoint, which has been with me since second-year university in the mid 70s -- it's not an everyday carry, but it's at hand on my study desk. I did use it a lot during my professional career.

Since Pilot discontinued the $15 Vanishing Point pencil a while ago, it has developed something of a cult following -- they frequently sell for $100 or higher on eBay. It's a high quality, well-balanced instrument, and my favourite mechanical pencil.

Workshop everyday pencil: Lee Valley. Lee Valley Pencils - Lee Valley Tools

- Craig

During my professional career, I wrote notes a lot...attended many (too many) meetings. I found that hand cramps plagued me, till I started using fountain pens. My favourite fountain pens were the Schaeffer White Dot, with gold nibs. Robust build, the nib would just slide effortlessly over paper. I also used ballpoint pens...as you, the legendary Parker Jotter, the PhD... both pen and pencil versions (wide grip which addressed hand fatigue), Yafa multi colour refill and my Waterman ball point and the Schaeffer White Dot ballpoint pens.

My main pens though were the Schaeffer White Dot fountain pens...medium nib. I had about three, still have two, after one was unfortunately stolen. The PhD pencil was my top pencil...again the wide, comfortable grip.

I used three large note books. A divided university style note book for different meeting minutes, a large legal size notebook (hinged at the top) with stiff cardboard covers for my To Do book and a large Quo Vadis appointment books...lots of space for appointments and brief notes.

I'm retired now and use mostly my PhD / Parker Jotter/ Schaeffer White Dot ballpoint pens, as my fountain pens refill ink tends to dry up and clog the nib ink delivery canal...from lack of use these days.
09-30-2019, 05:41 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Cross. Served me well for many years, plus - lifetime warranty.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-J610G  Photo 
09-30-2019, 06:15 PM - 3 Likes   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I always carry my trusty Fisher Space Pen in my pants pocket.
I refuse to carry pens or pencils in my pockets. This comes from an unfortunate experience in my youth where a freshly sharpened pencil which I stowed in my pocket, the pointed end of which got uncomfortably close to private property.

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
My "daily carry" pen is a Lamy Safari rollerball
I use the fountain pen equivalent of this from Lamy, though I detested the supplied scratchy ExtraFine nib and replaced it with a custom 16K red gold 1.1mm oblique cut nib. I use Noodlers inks, at present I have their vibrant Navajo turquoise ink in my pen.

I also use a Faber Castell E-motion 1.2mm mechanical pencil with Ebony wood grip and polished chrome fittings.

For more formal occasions I use a carbon fiber and silver fountain pen from Porsche design.

Last edited by Digitalis; 10-01-2019 at 12:51 AM.
09-30-2019, 06:22 PM - 5 Likes   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not an everyday carry, but seems apropos
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 8  Photo 
09-30-2019, 06:32 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

I work in a deli and I'm constantly writing down orders. I don't usually carry around pens on my person but in my car I've got plenty of pens, pencils, markets, etc so I always have something for work.
09-30-2019, 08:12 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

I usually have whatever 10-cent pens came out of the supply cabinet at work. I lose them at 10x the rate they run out of ink, so wisely avoid buying myself nice pens.
10-01-2019, 01:55 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was presented with a pen by the post office. Once all the coating had fallen off it was rather nice :