Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-02-2019, 03:51 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax (Bonafide) Focusing Screens

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Just came across this on B&H site;

Pentax ME-60 Plain Matte Focusing Screen 38581 B&H Photo Video

Says it's meant for the K7.

There's more;

Pentax LL-80 AF Divided Matte Focusing Screen 38575 B&H Photo

That one for the K10.

I note that they are 'Special Order', I'm thinking they are likely never going to fullfill the order if one was to buy them, but it did get me thinking...

I have heard bad things about using focusscreens.com, so I was a little stunned to see Pentax actually (at least used to) release focus screens for users themselves.

1) If one was to actually succeed in obtaining a focus screen like these, what are the chances they would fit a more modern dslr like a K-1 or KP?

2) I recently joked about how Pentax should release a no frills basic FF camera that lacks many of the tricks the K-1 does, but releases at a far significant lower price tag but comes equipped with the best kind of focusing screen possible to use with legacy glass. The camera could do away with AF and a rear LCD, just basically trying to emulate film but on digital format. So I then saw these focusing screens and wondered if they really help for manual focusing? For example, the description of the ME-60;

"Compatible with the Pentax K7, the Pentax ME-60 Plain Matte Focusing Screen features an edge-to-edge professional matte finish. When paired with large aperture optics, the screen greatly enhances manual focusing."

My KP focus screen seems to be that the guidelines are built into it, it's not like the K-1 where you can remove them in the menu settings, I would love to try a different focus screen in the KP, just unsure if this one would fit/work?

I also see K-7's pop up all the time for sale, even though it's an old camera, if it's rocking a better focus screen (or capacity to rock a better focus screen) it could become my manually focusing camera

But in all seriousness, I just wondered if anyone knows of bonafide Pentax focus screens and if which ones could be used in more recent pentax cameras?

TIA!

BB

10-02-2019, 04:35 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
But in all seriousness, I just wondered if anyone knows of bonafide Pentax focus screens and if which ones could be used in more recent pentax cameras?
If it fits the K-7, it will fit all flagship APS-C models from that model forward, as well as consumer line from the K-30 forward. Earlier dSLR screens will not fit current product nor will vintage film camera screens fit current models.

Steve
10-02-2019, 04:59 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
If it fits the K-7, it will fit all flagship APS-C models from that model forward, as well as consumer line from the K-30 forward. Earlier dSLR screens will not fit current product nor will vintage film camera screens fit current models.

Steve
That's cool, so we could swap the KP focusing screen out with this all Matte one then apparently? PENTAX Focusing Screen ME-60 the entire mat 38581 4961333155767 | eBay

Not that I don't trust you but how do you know this exactly?
10-02-2019, 05:30 PM - 1 Like   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Not that I don't trust you but how do you know this exactly?
I have answered this question many times and the answer is based on my conversations with Rachael Katz (KatzEye) as well as simply comparing item numbers for KatzEye and focusingscreen Web sites. You can double check with the Ricoh/Pentax lens and accessory catalog, page 33.

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/japan/support/catalog/pdf/lenses_accessories.pdf (pdf download)

Steve

10-02-2019, 06:27 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have answered this question many times and the answer is based on my conversations with Rachael Katz (KatzEye) as well as simply comparing item numbers for KatzEye and focusingscreen Web sites. You can double check with the Ricoh/Pentax lens and accessory catalog, page 33.

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/japan/support/catalog/pdf/lenses_accessories.pdf (pdf download)

Steve
Thank you. Like I said, I totally trust you, I was interested to know how you know, because if I knew the right sources then I might not have to make a post or bother you

Thanks again.

So has anyone attempted a genuine Pentax replacement focus screen? I have only heard of people doing it with the focusingscreen.com chaps and the Canon S Type for example etc..

EDIT: Just looking at the manual now, seeing as my Japanese is a little rough (), am I to take it where I have highlighted is applicable to all of those screens below?

The MF-60 looks to be the one in the KP? ME-60 best one for manual focusing?
Attached Images

Last edited by BruceBanner; 10-02-2019 at 06:32 PM.
10-02-2019, 06:51 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

am I to take it where I have highlighted is applicable to all of those screens below?
Yes, the item name pattern M_-60 all fit the same cameras.

The MF-60 looks to be the one in the KP? ME-60 best one for manual focusing?
They all have the same surface treatment. The only differences are the types of lines printed to the screen.

Steve
10-02-2019, 07:32 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yes, the item name pattern M_-60 all fit the same cameras.

They all have the same surface treatment. The only differences are the types of lines printed to the screen.

Steve
Oh ok, cool, thanks.

10-03-2019, 11:39 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No focusing aid, just different patterns.I got a Chinese one with a split image for my son. The tab was on the wrong side and I had to cut it off, but it does work. My son does not use the spot metering mode.
10-03-2019, 02:06 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxus Quote
No focusing aid, just different patterns.I got a Chinese one with a split image for my son. The tab was on the wrong side and I had to cut it off, but it does work. My son does not use the spot metering mode.
yeah shame, I just got excited over the clean matte ME-60 one, but if it's no different to the rest in terms of focus feedback... then...
10-03-2019, 11:13 PM   #10

yeah shame, I just got excited over the clean matte ME-60 one, but if it's no different to the rest in terms of focus feedback... then...
Right there with you Bruce. I do need to change my screen to be able to use my M lenses more.