Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2019, 05:31 AM   #1
Veteran Member
cprobertson1's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Irvine, Ayrshire
Posts: 376
Carry-bags for long (heavy) lenses

I recently acquired myself a Tair 3S (minus the gunstock) - but I'm struggling to take it out and about just now because it's simply too big to fit in my camera bag.

My online search has yielded bags for it, but they seem to be ridiculously expensive, well out of my price range.

Might anybody have any suggestions on how I might transport it?

Right now I have a camera-backpack, BUT, it also doubles as my daypack - and only has a small area for camera stuff - it's no good for this monstrosity. After that i have a large and a small shoulder-pack - but again, they can't even accommodate the lens on it's own.

I am thus looking for some sort of bag with a shoulder strap that can accomodate the 30-cm of the lens (and lens hood), with or without the camera attached - for as cheap as possible (aiming for <20).

Any ideas?

10-07-2019, 05:35 AM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter
aslyfox's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Topeka, Kansas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 23,010
I would suggest you start by reviewing the user reviews by forum members that you can find here:

Bags and Cases - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
10-07-2019, 05:37 AM   #3
Veteran Member
cprobertson1's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Irvine, Ayrshire
Posts: 376
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I would suggest you start by reviewing the user reviews by forum members that you can find here:

Bags and Cases - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
Thanks! I've used the reviews section for looking at lenses quite a bit - I didn't realise there was also a section for camera bags though! Will look now
10-07-2019, 05:49 AM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter
aslyfox's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Topeka, Kansas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 23,010
QuoteOriginally posted by cprobertson1 Quote
Thanks! I've used the reviews section for looking at lenses quite a bit - I didn't realise there was also a section for camera bags though! Will look now
you are welcomed

lots of good information through out the forums

and from the friendly folks who participate in the forums

you might want to indicate the size of the equipment you are talking about if you get a chance


Last edited by aslyfox; 10-07-2019 at 06:01 AM.
10-07-2019, 05:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member
cprobertson1's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Irvine, Ayrshire
Posts: 376
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
you are welcomed

lots of good information through out the forums

and from the friendly folks who participate the forum

you might want to indicate the size of the equipment you are talking about if you get a chance
Also a good shout!

The Tair 3S is around 300mm long, and about 80-90mm wide - but with a knob at one side bringing the width in that one spot to about 120mm? I'll get more accurate measurement later on tonight

---------- Post added 10-07-19 at 06:50 AM ----------

Im having problems finding one big enough AND in my price range =/

Something like this or this may be alright, PROVIDED that their internal dimensions are accurately described (130mm x 310mm).

The Lowepro case may also fit, but it's also on the expensive side (for these lenses - of which I have 2x, and they both cost 30)

Last edited by cprobertson1; 10-07-2019 at 06:53 AM.
10-07-2019, 03:25 PM   #6
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Des's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Sth Gippsland Victoria Australia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,434
QuoteOriginally posted by cprobertson1 Quote
The Tair 3S is around 300mm long, and about 80-90mm wide - but with a knob at one side bringing the width in that one spot to about 120mm?
That's a tricky combination.

I have a Vanguard Heralder 17Z which can take my K-3 with FA*300 f4.5 mounted, with hood attached, which is 305mm long in total. It works, even though the official internal measurement are 170mm W x 170mm D x 290mm L. The top bulges slightly when zipped up, but it closes fine. It's quite well made - similar quality to my small Lowepro bag. One useful thing is that it has an adjustable internal sling which sits horizontally and supports the weight of the camera. It has another removable vertical divider. The straps and attachments are solid and it has a number of external pockets. It also has a rain cover. It weighs about 600g. Mine was $A89 (i.e. about 49). I don't think you will get anything of that quality for much less than that.

The JJC and Lowepro ones you link to are just lens cases so you couldn't really use them with the camera attached. The cheap JJC ones would probably do fine as pure cases.

Last edited by Des; 10-08-2019 at 01:12 AM.
10-08-2019, 12:12 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member
cprobertson1's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Irvine, Ayrshire
Posts: 376
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
That's a tricky combination.

I have a Vanguard Heralder 17Z which can take my K-3 with FA*300 f4.5 mounted, with hood attached, which is 305cm long in total, even though the official internal measurement are 170mm W x 170mm D x 290mm L. The top bulges slightly when zipped up, but it closes fine. It's quite well made - similar quality to my small Lowepro bag. One useful thing is that it has an adjustable internal sling which sits horizontally and supports the weight of the camera. It has another removable vertical divider. The straps and attachments are solid and it has a number of external pockets. It also has a rain cover. It weighs about 600g. Mine was $A89 (i.e. about 49). I don't think you will get anything of that quality for much less than that.

The JJC and Lowepro ones you link to are just lens cases so you couldn't really use them with the camera attached. Although the JJC ones would probably do fine as pure cases.
I'm not having much luck for bags large enough to accommodate the lens mounted on the camera. Best I can see so far is a whole new bag: a DSLR-packpack, but the problem is that there is a lot of wasted space; the camera+lens is pretty much all I want to carry, I'd need to pack the other pockets with foam (and maybe a small lens too... perhaps nifty-fifty (that's really a nifty-seventy-five-ish thank's to the APS-C crop factor)?

There are dedicated bags for telephotos (and supertelephotos (and megatelephotos (and gigatelephotos - aka "telescopes"))) - but they tend to run into the hundreds of pounds, though I suppose the market for those sorts of bags are for people with 15k+ tied up in their camera and telephoto lens, and a few hundred pounds is nothing on top of that.




In my case, I think the JCC case may be ideal. It only accommodates the lens, but I can work with that - just means I've got an extra bag over my shoulder for the camera body (in which case I can put my kit lens on and use it as a walkaround as well). The lens+bag can also fit in my other backpacks for a bit more utility.

That said, it's not terribly ideal - but then again, beggars with only 20 can't be choosers (except within the range of that 20).

10-08-2019, 01:21 AM - 1 Like   #8
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Des's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Sth Gippsland Victoria Australia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,434
QuoteOriginally posted by cprobertson1 Quote
In my case, I think the JCC case may be ideal. It only accommodates the lens, but I can work with that - just means I've got an extra bag over my shoulder for the camera body (in which case I can put my kit lens on and use it as a walkaround as well). The lens+bag can also fit in my other backpacks for a bit more utility.
I can see the merit of that. A bag big enough to hold the camera with the lens mounted is pretty cumbersome with a backpack as well. I usually carry the Vanguard only when I'm not carrying the backpack.

If I'm going to be walking for long enough to need the backpack, I tend to take a lighter lens like the DA 55-300 PLM. I know that doesn't show a lot of commitment to serious photography, but I'm getting too old to lug more than I really need for any distance.

FWIW, I have a number of items of JJC gear and they are quite good for budget products.
10-08-2019, 03:41 AM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter
aslyfox's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Topeka, Kansas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 23,010
QuoteOriginally posted by cprobertson1 Quote
. . . . perhaps nifty-fifty (that's really a nifty-seventy-five-ish thank's to the APS-C crop factor)? . . . .
no, your " nifity fifity " does not gain focal length

Crop Factor Explained

The Crop Factor Unmasked - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com
10-08-2019, 04:13 AM   #10
Veteran Member
cprobertson1's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Irvine, Ayrshire
Posts: 376
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
Sorry for the ambiguity! I was talking about 35mm equivalent focal length being 75mm (in terms of FoV), and thus wasn't behaving as a "normal lens", as it would on a full-frame camera - and tried to be funny about it

My bad!

The "joke" was that I really need my nifty-thirty-ish for the FoV of a full-frame nifty-fifty. Look, I never said it was a good joke!
10-08-2019, 04:23 AM   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter
aslyfox's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Topeka, Kansas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 23,010
QuoteOriginally posted by cprobertson1 Quote
Sorry for the ambiguity! I was talking about 35mm equivalent focal length being 75mm (in terms of FoV), and thus wasn't behaving as a "normal lens", as it would on a full-frame camera - and tried to be funny about it

My bad!

The "joke" was that I really need my nifty-thirty-ish for the FoV of a full-frame nifty-fifty. Look, I never said it was a good joke!
no problem

and if you want to joke, I think there may be " a thread for that "

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/14-general-talk/312194-joke-thread.html

but you are free to joke or pun away any where you would like to here at the forum
10-08-2019, 04:27 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member
cprobertson1's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Irvine, Ayrshire
Posts: 376
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
I can see the merit of that. A bag big enough to hold the camera with the lens mounted is pretty cumbersome with a backpack as well. I usually carry the Vanguard only when I'm not carrying the backpack.

If I'm going to be walking for long enough to need the backpack, I tend to take a lighter lens like the DA 55-300 PLM. I know that doesn't show a lot of commitment to serious photography, but I'm getting too old to lug more than I really need for any distance.

FWIW, I have a number of items of JJC gear and they are quite good for budget products.
Just ordered one of the JJC bags - hopefully with a little bit of extra room at the top for that lens hood (the Tair 3S has a vulcanised rubber hood. It bears a striking resemblance to a toilet plunger.)

I decided to go for the larger of the bags so I can put extra padding at the bottom and sides - and to make sure there's plenty of space for that focusing knob and any 3D printer accoutrements I end up strapping onto it.

I have to say, it's one hellova lens. It may be built like a tank (or possibly from a tank), but it's definitely one of my better lenses. I think it may be my first lens review on the site, actually!
10-08-2019, 11:59 AM   #13
Pentaxian
angerdan's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2015
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,171
QuoteOriginally posted by cprobertson1 Quote
I recently acquired myself a Tair 3S (minus the gunstock) - but I'm struggling to take it out and about just now because it's simply too big to fit in my camera bag.
Might anybody have any suggestions on how I might transport it?
Any ideas?
Check out the recommendations for the DA 560mm:
Backpack for the Pentax DA-560mm lens - PentaxForums.com
DA 560mm 5.6 AW - useful accessoires - PentaxForums.com
10-08-2019, 01:50 PM   #14
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Des's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Sth Gippsland Victoria Australia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,434
QuoteOriginally posted by cprobertson1 Quote
i have to say, it's one hellova lens. It may be built like a tank (or possibly from a tank), but it's definitely one of my better lenses. I think it may be my first lens review on the site, actually!
Hope you will share some shots and experiences in the long lenses thread too: 300mm plus Lens Club: discuss your long lenses - PentaxForums.com
10-08-2019, 11:47 PM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member
cprobertson1's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Irvine, Ayrshire
Posts: 376
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
Good shout - I had missed those threads!

I think that lens might somehow be bigger than the Tair 3S (or even the Tair 3A) - I wouldn't mind one myself! I'll stick with my 600mm mirror lens for now though - much more compact, even if it does have it's own downsides (I brought a box of doughnut bokeh to share!). I'm going to see how the JJC bag goes first before I purchase anything else - if it works well, then I'd call that 20 well spent: and if not, I can use it as part of another solution.




QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Hope you will share some shots and experiences in the long lenses thread too: 300mm plus Lens Club: discuss your long lenses - PentaxForums.com
Oooh! That looks like a fun thread

I can share my experiences getting a workout from handholding a 1.6kg lens - it's both photographic and exercise gear - very multifunctional!

Last edited by cprobertson1; 10-09-2019 at 12:15 AM.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
120mm, 300mm, bag, camera, knob, lens, tair, tripod
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Keeping heavy lenses safe - Ricoh take note: Unregistered User Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 10 02-15-2019 04:55 AM
What lenses should I carry for a family reunion? SSGGeezer Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 51 06-07-2018 02:43 PM
Pentax carry systems and bags? tonyjayice Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 4 07-04-2010 05:32 PM
Glass: long and heavy....... John Kovarik Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 2 10-17-2008 02:33 PM
Bags, Bags And More Bags madisonphotogrl Photographic Technique 22 03-22-2008 06:09 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:31 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top