Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
10-07-2019, 05:37 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Platypod question

I didn't find any specific reviews for these here on the forum, so i would like to ask those of you who have one; how do you like it and what scenarios do you find it most suitable for?

10-07-2019, 05:43 AM - 1 Like   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
is this the item

Platypod Max reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

it was here:

Miscellaneous - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

if you are looking for a small but sturdy tripoid, take a look at this one:

QuoteQuote:
Folded Length :165mm / 6.5inch
Weight: 261g / 9.2oz

Max Extended Length :110mm / 3.9inch
Max Load (Tripod) :80kg / 176lb

The legs have one locked position, and turning the single wheel lock can fan the legs all the way out for a flat tripod.

The locked position creates a 10" diameter between all the legs

When the legs go completely flat, the diameter between all the legs is 12"

please see this thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/22-pe...ml#post4206692

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/accessoryreviews/-moman-mini-tripod.html#ixzz61fn2a5vJ

Last edited by aslyfox; 10-07-2019 at 06:05 AM.
10-07-2019, 05:46 AM - 1 Like   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
is this the item
Thanks for the pointer...
10-07-2019, 05:51 AM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I remembered that you had posted a review

checked " tripods " - no luck - and then kept looking

10-07-2019, 06:01 AM - 3 Likes   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by dan.a.nesheim Quote
Platypod question
As the reviewer of this product, I can say for me it works as a low level and easily transportable solid platform... to be used where other supports are not allowed or are inconvenient to use.

In fact I have only just got back from a trip, where this fits easily into my carry on Billingham and these days it goes wherever I do.

If you have any questions about the product, just ask away, I'll do my best to answer.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 10-07-2019 at 02:24 PM.
10-07-2019, 06:02 AM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I remembered that you had posted a review
Your da man...
10-07-2019, 06:17 AM   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I also remember how well I did in athletics in high school

10-07-2019, 06:40 AM - 1 Like   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I also remember how well I did in athletics in high school
Perhaps your really Leslie Welch, travelling the internet incognito...
10-07-2019, 09:51 AM   #9

I got the smaller one and only used it twice and it works as described. You can even mount a 70-200 on the small one and have no issues. I took it on vacation and used it as necessary. I believe it works better without the grip on your camera. I bought it with the accessories which should cover 90 percent of your problems to solve. I got thr smaller one just for the sake of practiceticality. The larger one could be more versatile but you are putting that in your pocket. The promotional video is pretty accurate. I saw a tutorial with Scott Kelby where he gave it his seal of approval and I decided to give it a go.

Good luck!
10-07-2019, 10:26 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
...to used where other supports are not allowed or are inconvenient to use.
This is what i was thinking of also. I usually pile up stones and soil to make a temporary platform, but it's an inconvenient solution that only works a few places.
This might be a better solutions where tripods are not allowed or unpractical.

On the image above i see you have the k1 with batterygrip. Is it still stable if you add a larger lense or is it to unstabel with i.e. 24-70mm f2.8 or 70-200mm f2.8?
10-07-2019, 11:56 AM - 1 Like   #11
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dan.a.nesheim Quote
Is it still stable if you add a larger lens or is it to unstable with i.e. 24-70mm f2.8 or 70-200mm f2.8?
I'm guessing a lot will depend on your set up, weights and how it's configured. You'll notice from my image, how I always line up the clamp/lens along the longest axis of the Platypod. To be honest... mine's as solid as the surface I put it all on.

My ball head has a load capacity of 23kg, it weighs itself 850g with the clamp, the Platypod has a load capacity of 136Kg and weighs itself 368g.

So a K1 c/w Grip with battery is about 1.5kg, my heaviest lenses ("Lady Luck”(Pentax-A* 135mm F1.8), "Gorgeous Lady”(Pentax-A* 200mm) and “Duchess”(Pentax-A* 300mm F4.0) all come in around the 850g, so I'm all well within limits.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 10-13-2019 at 04:00 AM.
10-07-2019, 12:35 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So I'd originally passed this thing off as more gimmicky gear. But after seeing this thread, and watching a few videos, it's quickly moving to the to of my "I can really use that" list. What's another $99??? Someone has to stimulate the economy, ha!
10-07-2019, 12:59 PM - 2 Likes   #13
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by david94903 Quote
What's another $99???
It's one of the cheapest bits of really good kit I've ever bought, it certainly tweaks my clients interest when the see me using it... they've all seen tripods before.
11-20-2019, 03:08 AM   #14

I home-brewed one of these for myself a few weeks ago. Got a large aluminium plate, cut to size and shape (a little larger than the platypods) and added some speaker-spikes for stability (although I am tending to use it just flat-based for on my desk!). Really useful for macro stuff, where a bigger tripod would be too cumbersome, and a little desktop tripod might not have the heft to support the thing. A couple of hours work (admittedly with access to a nice workshop) and all for a tenner or so...
11-20-2019, 03:36 AM   #15
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Stewtheking Quote
I home-brewed one of these for myself a few weeks ago. Got a large aluminium plate, cut to size and shape (a little larger than the platypods) and added some speaker-spikes for stability (although I am tending to use it just flat-based for on my desk!). Really useful for macro stuff, where a bigger tripod would be too cumbersome, and a little desktop tripod might not have the heft to support the thing. A couple of hours work (admittedly with access to a nice workshop) and all for a tenner or so...
Sounds good to me... it should all work fine.

Cos lets be honest it's not really a piece of rocket science, but it certainly works for me when I need it.