Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2019, 07:04 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Photodiox Pentax 67 tilt shift adapter conversion to K mount

Hi Guys,
I am not sure if this thread is at the right category, please feel free to move it correspondingly.

Well, I was dreaming to try tilt shift lens on DSLR. When I tried to find an adapter, I realized that I will never allow myself to buy it, crazy expensive.
So, I started to think how it can be done.
I found out that Photodiox makes them, but not for Pentax (Nikon, Canon etc) and the price is acceptable.. Ok, Nikon can be converted to Pentax, I thought, considering the bunch of K-mount rings from old lenses and converters I have.

Replacing the F-mount by K-mount bayonet was not a big deal, it had to be further from the mirror by ~1mm. So it was done, and I though that was a success, and it would be if that was a standard lens, but in this case it was a tilt-shift one which has to move (shift), that is why it has to be perfectly aligned with the mirror/camera processor. When I looked at what sits on the camera I realized that I needed to spend more time to align these things. Well, Dremel was my friend.

So, here it is the result. Lenses are on the way. I will try 135 mm macro and 75 mm. The 75mm one has to be cleaned up from fungus.

The total cost was - $280 - the adapter + 2 Pentax 67 lenses. Hopefully, I will not be disappointed.
I will post pictures.

10-07-2019, 07:15 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nicely done!

I am looking forward to seeing your results. Is there a reason why you did not go for the 45mm f/4?

Steve
10-07-2019, 07:19 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Nicely done!

I am looking forward to seeing your results. Is there a reason why you did not go for the 45mm f/4?

Steve
Me too.

45mm F/4? - Price vs risk to fail. I will definitely try the 45 mm, but later depending on how happy I will be with tilt-shit photography.
10-08-2019, 02:49 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Nicely done!

Steve
Hi Steve,

The lens just've come Pentax 67 75mm F/4. As long as the weather is still good, I took first pictures with the lens. Just please follow the link. There is a full size image. Three in RAW then stitched in Adobe PS with some corrections.

Shared album - Vas Nech - Google Photos
Lighter version is below. Will try to post more.

10-08-2019, 04:17 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Vasyl Quote
Hi Steve,

The lens just've come Pentax 67 75mm F/4. As long as the weather is still good, I took first pictures with the lens. Just please follow the link. There is a full size image. Three in RAW then stitched in Adobe PS with some corrections.

Shared album - Vas Nech - Google Photos
Lighter version is below. Will try to post more.
The lens looks to be sharp. Am I correct that you are using shift for stitched panos?

Steve
10-08-2019, 05:34 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The lens looks to be sharp. Am I correct that you are using shift for stitched panos?

Steve
Yes, you are correct. 3 horizontal shots shifting the lens.
If you are interested, please see more pictures and their comparison tilted vs plain.
The first one in that album is 3 vertical shots shifted.

A lot to learn and explore...as up to me for more pronouncing tilt effect F/3.5 would be better.
Tilt - shift Pentax 67 75mm F4.5 - Google Photos

Vasyl
10-08-2019, 08:11 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

A lot to learn and explore...as up to me for more pronouncing tilt effect F/3.5 would be better.
Nice work with the tilt. Front tilt can be problematic for several reasons and the limits of your adapter are probably a result of physical limitations and/or an attempt to avoid issues with image circle. A shorter focal length might help for some subjects.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-08-2019 at 09:53 PM.
10-09-2019, 11:06 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Nice work with the tilt. Front tilt can be problematic for several reasons and the limits of your adapter are probably a result of physical limitations and/or an attempt to avoid issues with image circle. A shorter focal length might help for some subjects.

Steve
Thank you, Steve.
As I said, a lot to learn and explore...I was confused by the focal distance conversion from 67 to 35mm format.I thought that the conversion is 2.1, meaning the 75mm 67 format lens is an equivalent of 75/2.1 = ~34 mm.,meaning when I use the 75mm lens on my K1, I see an image of equal size that I would've seen through a 34mm lens of 35 mm format. That did not happen. I compared the 75mm 67 image size with the 70mm FF lens in the view finder and it was almost the same. Not sure if I explained that well...maybe I should post some pictures...
I was really excited by the fact and the assumption that all 67 lens's focal distances give 2 times smaller focal distance on 35 mm cameras...well, lesson learnt. Now I have to think about either 45mm or 55mm or even selling my creation...:-)

---------- Post added 09-10-19 at 11:16 ----------

Steve
Covering your concerns about limitations and issues...no there is no image circle impact, the tilt of that adapter goes only in one direction, but you can rotate the lens or camera (depending what 's in a tripod) having front or back tilt (down or up respectively).
I was dealing with the other issue though - metering in Av mode (I usually use this mode). In normal position this system works just fine, but when it is fully tilted the exposure jumps 3-5 stops, the same for shifting .. manual mode or AE-L button helped.
The images in that album did not have any impact of the circle. I did not see vignetting, but the purple fringe.
Vasyl

10-09-2019, 11:42 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I was confused by the focal distance conversion from 67 to 35mm format.I thought that the conversion is 2.1, meaning the 75mm 67 format lens is an equivalent of 75/2.1 = ~34 mm.
Sadly, it has the expected FOV for 75mm on FF...short tele, whereas, its a shortish "normal" lens for 6x7.

Steve
10-10-2019, 01:56 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I can't see the photos...
10-10-2019, 06:05 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
I can't see the photos...
Can you see the link I provided?Did you click on it?
What kind of message are you receiving?
10-10-2019, 07:59 AM   #12
Pentaxian

The photos of the first post have a grey forbidden direction sign (no link).
Photo of the 4th post same and the link shows a single panorama photo of a house on google photos.
10-10-2019, 10:26 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Photo of the 4th post same and the link shows a single panorama photo of a house on google photos.
OK...will check that out later from home...my work PC blocks google photos
10-10-2019, 02:21 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Just for you...some of them

---------- Post added 10-10-19 at 14:24 ----------

---------- Post added 10-10-19 at 14:25 ----------

---------- Post added 10-10-19 at 14:25 ----------

10-11-2019, 01:16 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Just for you...some of them
Thank you !