Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2008, 06:17 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
most affordable tripod that is light in weight?

Hi

I am shopping for a new tripod. My current tripod is so heavy that it is really a hassle to bring it along during photoshooting.

So I guess i must get a carbon fibre one? So which one do u guys own and are considered affordable? Pls. indicate the brand and model.

My camera gears are:

1. K100D now. k20D after christmas (if possible)
2. heaviest lens - i guess the DA14 or the Tamron 28-75. Hoping to get the Tamron 70-200 when i have saved enuf.
3. flash - 360FGZ. hoping to upgrade to 540 next time but not so soon.

Thanks.

p.s. oops! I posted in the wrong section. Could someone please help me to relocate this thread? thanks.

Last edited by raider; 10-16-2008 at 06:52 AM. Reason: Posted in incorrect section
02-23-2009, 11:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Here is one thread :

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-accessories/40778-lightweig...tml#post387626

I also found this one, but haven’t read it yet :
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-accessories/29879-giottos-m...commended.html
02-24-2009, 07:22 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You might want to look here also:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-accessories/51808-tripod-ocd.html
02-24-2009, 11:55 AM   #4
Veteran Member

what does light in weight mean? tell us what tripod you have now.

i am using a cf benro (shameless chinese copy of gitzo, quite nice, i like it so far, with some minor reservations), it is not cheap, but a hell of a lot cheaper than anything else comparable. however, the ball head i have on those cf legs is so heavy, overall it's over 2kg anyway . i don't mind though, and i love the head.

i used to have a velbon, alu, very nice, very cheap, decent head. not so versatile, but very stable, especially for the money. (sherpa 200r iirc), price was in the 150usd range (very cheap for what it is), weight in the 2kg range.

i can tell you more, but i am unsure what you are really looking for. more details please.

02-24-2009, 12:48 PM   #5

I recently made myself crazy researching a lot of "travel" tripods as I was looking for compact folded size and low weight being more important than price. Took a chance on the SLIK SPRINT PRO BLACK TRIPOD which is not really a "travel" tripod. Cost $85.00 delivered from B&H. Weighs 1.9 lbs, folds to 18.9 inches. Minimum height is 6.4 inches, maximum height is 64.3 inches. Rated to support 4.5 pounds. Nice modest but adequate ballhead and great fit and finish all around. Quick set-up and quick to be packed back up. Took it out for its first outing on Saturday and it fared really well with camera, battery grip, and lens. Includes a nice drawstring bag. And, it so nicely fits in the tripod carrier on the KATA 3n1 backpack. Not a high end tripod by any means, but really nice performance for the price. I'm happy with it.
02-24-2009, 01:36 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Moved to camera accessories section
02-24-2009, 02:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Prairie Dog Quote
I recently made myself crazy researching a lot of "travel" tripods as I was looking for compact folded size and low weight being more important than price. Took a chance on the SLIK SPRINT PRO BLACK TRIPOD which is not really a "travel" tripod. Cost $85.00 delivered from B&H. Weighs 1.9 lbs, folds to 18.9 inches. Minimum height is 6.4 inches, maximum height is 64.3 inches. Rated to support 4.5 pounds. Nice modest but adequate ballhead and great fit and finish all around. Quick set-up and quick to be packed back up. Took it out for its first outing on Saturday and it fared really well with camera, battery grip, and lens. Includes a nice drawstring bag. And, it so nicely fits in the tripod carrier on the KATA 3n1 backpack. Not a high end tripod by any means, but really nice performance for the price. I'm happy with it.
Same one I have. I find it very versatile. It's light enough that it actually gets taken out and used. I usually just stick one leg of it through my belt when I carry it.

That low minimum height comes in handy sometimes:

I don't have enough experience with anything else to go so far as to recommend this tripod, but I will suggest that you include it among the models you consider.

02-25-2009, 02:35 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the helpful replies.

I have since bought a Slik 614CF carbon fibre tripod. It is less than 1kg in weight and is a good travelling companion.

I have also modified the tripod to take a shoulder strap and stuff.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-accessories/47866-diy-tripo...der-strap.html