Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2019, 01:44 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Need help with Filter Systems

I'm looking at trying square format filters mostly for ND grads. I'm still pretty new at this so I'm not looking to spend a huge chunk of money on it (yet). At the moment, I've been looking at the Cokin P series because they mostly fit the lenses I have and are still pretty inexpensive. I had read that P filters will vignette on lenses over 20mm FF equivalent which leads to a problem because I like to use a Sigma 10-20. This means that if I want to use the Cokin on that lens, I can't use focal lengths under 15mm? Just for reference, I plan on using this on a Sigma 10-20/3.5, *16-50/2.8, and maybe a Sigma 28/1.8 and an A24-50/4 if I ever decide to use it. (Oh, and a *11-18 instead of the 10-20 if I win the Grand Prize.)

I've also noticed that Formatt has a filter system in my range as well but it's more expensive. I'm just not sure which system I'd rather go for at the moment. I've found some online ads for a Cokin P system with adapters and a bunch of filters for $60 and a Formatt-Hitech holder and some adapters for $100. In terms of price, I'm leaning towards the Cokin but I'm not sure if I'd find it better for me in terms of durability, utility and, essentially, quality. I think I read that the Formatt is a modular holder? Whereas the Cokin P isn't modular but the L Z-Pro is. Would the L Z-Pro be better? I'm very hesitant to start out at the 100mm filters because of cost. I have more questions but I think they'll have to wait.

Also, just a funny question. Has anyone used a square filter with the 40 Limited? I'd love to see what that set up looks like

10-15-2019, 01:53 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeyBugs95 Quote
I'm looking at trying square format filters mostly for ND grads. I'm still pretty new at this so I'm not looking to spend a huge chunk of money on it (yet). At the moment, I've been looking at the Cokin P series because they mostly fit the lenses I have and are still pretty inexpensive. I had read that P filters will vignette on lenses over 20mm FF equivalent which leads to a problem because I like to use a Sigma 10-20. This means that if I want to use the Cokin on that lens, I can't use focal lengths under 15mm? Just for reference, I plan on using this on a Sigma 10-20/3.5, *16-50/2.8, and maybe a Sigma 28/1.8 and an A24-50/4 if I ever decide to use it. (Oh, and a *11-18 instead of the 10-20 if I win the Grand Prize.)

I've also noticed that Formatt has a filter system in my range as well but it's more expensive. I'm just not sure which system I'd rather go for at the moment. I've found some online ads for a Cokin P system with adapters and a bunch of filters for $60 and a Formatt-Hitech holder and some adapters for $100. In terms of price, I'm leaning towards the Cokin but I'm not sure if I'd find it better for me in terms of durability, utility and, essentially, quality. I think I read that the Formatt is a modular holder? Whereas the Cokin P isn't modular but the L Z-Pro is. Would the L Z-Pro be better? I'm very hesitant to start out at the 100mm filters because of cost. I have more questions but I think they'll have to wait.

Also, just a funny question. Has anyone used a square filter with the 40 Limited? I'd love to see what that set up looks like
Great difficulty manoeuvre a ND filter over a lens that small

---------- Post added 10-15-19 at 09:55 PM ----------

I use Lee filters. For ND grads the rectangular format is what you need
10-15-2019, 02:50 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Great difficulty manoeuvre a ND filter over a lens that small

---------- Post added 10-15-19 at 09:55 PM ----------

I use Lee filters. For ND grads the rectangular format is what you need
I'm not looking at Lee's. For what I need, basically an introductory system, Lee's are too expensive. I don't even know if I will actually like using these filter systems so I just need an inexpensive system that I can learn how to use, see of I like the work flow, and, if need be, sell the system if it doesn't fit me.
10-15-2019, 05:33 PM   #4

I have the Cokin P filter holder and the sigma 10-20mm. It Will vignette! Also on the K1 with a Rokinon 20mm. Being an 85mm filter holder many lenses have a wider fov. If I was starting over I would get at lest a 100mm filter holder. Yep, they cost. But, it will save you a lot of frustration latter. I don't use cokin filters, mostly Hitech. Just me, I'd go with a NiSi V5 Pro Starter Filter Kit from B&H. Like you, when I first started with filters. They cost, Will I really use them, which should l get, Well, I do use them, a ten stop, a six stop, a 3 stop soft grad, 3 stop hard grad, a polerizer. And, Since I now have lenses that have 82mm threads, I often just use gaffers tape and tape the filters to a lens. Save yourself some grief, save up, get a 100mm system.

Last edited by Roadboat24; 10-15-2019 at 05:43 PM.
10-15-2019, 09:45 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have the 100mm Lee brand system and also the 150mm Haida brand system. I can definitely recommend both lines of filters. But neither are cheap. However, if you're looking to save some money, look at the Filter Dude website for an affordable filter holder and accessories. I've been using mine for years, along with the wide angle adapter ring, and the quality is excellent. Also, for less expensive square filters, look at the ICE brand, they're about half the cost of Haida and a third of the cost of the Lee filters. I have a few of their filters, and I've been very happy with them. Made from optical glass, just like the Lee and Haida, and when you drop one and it shatters into a thousand pieces, it doesn't hurt as much. Yep.
10-16-2019, 05:38 AM   #6

Nice tip about Filter Dude, David. Appreciated.
10-17-2019, 02:17 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Ok well I think I'll be going with a Cokin Z-pro. I've found some kits on eBay that are well priced. But what's the difference between a U960 kit and a U3H0-25 kit? They seem to have the exact same components but the U960 is priced at about $300 on B&H while the U3H0 is only $189.