Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2019, 06:29 PM   #1

Pentax K3 and AF-540FGZ combo question

Hello all! I'm new to the forum, however I've been shooting with Pentax DSLR's since 2007. I currently shoot with a K3. About 99% of the time I shoot with available light, however every couple of years an occasion pops up where I need to break out my AF-540FGZ flash. Usually it is for indoors on a photography backdrop, so I have the ability to set things up ahead of the shoot and make sure my settings are good. However, even though I eventually get nice results, I'm frustrated that it feels a little bit like poke-and-hope because I don't fully understand which setting (camera vs flash) is doing what.

I'm also now wrestling with wanting to use my flash as a fill flash for outdoor portraits in the daylight. From the research I've done, it seems that if the conditions are bright I'm going to need to have the flash set to high speed sync, set my camera to manual exposure to make the background what I want, have my flash on TTL, and manually adjust the exposure compensation of the flash to get the results I'm looking for on the subject.
Does that sound about right?

Also: There are flash control settings on the K3, and also on the flash itself. Am I correct in assuming that the controls on the flash unit override the camera controls? (meaning: if I put the camera on trailing curtain sync but the flash is on leading curtain sync, it'll shoot leading curtain?)

10-15-2019, 06:34 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jadeddo Quote
if I put the camera on trailing curtain sync but the flash is on leading curtain sync, it'll shoot leading curtain?
Yes...nothing better than trial and error - experiment and see the results right away - its all digital
.... and by the way welcome to the forums....
10-16-2019, 01:29 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
it seems that if the conditions are bright I'm going to need to have the flash set to high speed sync, set my camera to manual exposure to make the background what I want, have my flash on TTL, and manually adjust the exposure compensation of the flash to get the results I'm looking for on the subject.
Does that sound about right?
Sounds correct. Dont forget that HSS reduces your flash to subject distance.

There are flash control settings on the K3, and also on the flash itself.
the sync settings will only apply to the pop up flash i think.

Have a look at the sticky posts in the flash section of this forum. You will see some flash guides from forum member Nigel McGregor. hove a good read of thoose to understand all about the operation of flash.
10-16-2019, 06:36 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Am I correct in assuming that the controls on the flash unit override the camera controls?
Usually the exposure compensation settings are added. IOW -1 flash ev on both the camera and flash will give you -2 total.

BTW, my normal starting point for outdoor fill flash is -1.5 ev, then chimp and adjust as needed.

10-17-2019, 12:07 PM - 1 Like   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Sounds correct. Dont forget that HSS reduces your flash to subject distance.

the sync settings will only apply to the pop up flash i think.

Have a look at the sticky posts in the flash section of this forum. You will see some flash guides from forum member Nigel McGregor. hove a good read of thoose to understand all about the operation of flash.
THANK YOU! I downloaded the whole flash manual, and down on page 28 there is a reference to "additional mode settings on the flashgun will take priority over the camera set options." THIS is exactly the confirmation I was looking for, and it explains so much of what was going wrong for me last weekend.
10-17-2019, 12:10 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
Usually the exposure compensation settings are added. IOW -1 flash ev on both the camera and flash will give you -2 total.

BTW, my normal starting point for outdoor fill flash is -1.5 ev, then chimp and adjust as needed.
Thank you!
10-21-2019, 04:34 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have been playing with AF360FGZ m2. Yep I think the flash follows the flash exposure setting and not the exposure compensation. P TTL works also on AV mode and not TAV

10-22-2019, 04:21 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ghosteclipse Quote
I have been playing with AF360FGZ m2. Yep I think the flash follows the flash exposure setting and not the exposure compensation. P TTL works also on AV mode and not TAV

Last weekend I shot with my camera in manual, I set the exposure to f/5.0 at 1/200 so that the background would be the exposure I wanted, then put the flash on P TTL high speed sync to fill in for the portraits. I'm happy with the results, I just wish the camera captured the flash level, all that Lightroom shows is "Flash: Did Fire".
10-23-2019, 04:37 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Last weekend I shot with my camera in manual, I set the exposure to f/5.0 at 1/200 so that the background would be the exposure I wanted, then put the flash on P TTL high speed sync to fill in for the portraits. I'm happy with the results, I just wish the camera captured the flash level, all that Lightroom shows is "Flash: Did Fire".
I have been trying manual mode in camera with P-TTL on cam and it works well. The flash follows the flash exposure compensation. I haven't tried HSS though so that's good to hear.
10-23-2019, 11:48 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just wish the camera captured the flash level
Sadly, the camera does not "know" the flash level. All it does is pass the meter reading from the pre-flash followed by the sync signal. The magic is in the flash.

Steve