Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2019, 10:17 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
FYI I own the Tenpa 1.22 and ome53, I much prefer the Tenpa, but I think its quite highly priced now... glad you found a fix tho.
What do you like better about the Tenpa?
Thanks,
barondla

12-06-2019, 01:01 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
What do you like better about the Tenpa?
Thanks,
barondla
It appears to be a better piece of glass. The Pentax magnifier seems to only assist if focusing on something with that object dead centre of frame. If you're trying to focus on something off centre then the object gets soft. With the Tenpa it appears to be clearer to see what's going on away from centre, allowing for the assistance/magnifying to work better for things off centre.
12-06-2019, 10:46 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
It appears to be a better piece of glass. The Pentax magnifier seems to only assist if focusing on something with that object dead centre of frame. If you're trying to focus on something off centre then the object gets soft. With the Tenpa it appears to be clearer to see what's going on away from centre, allowing for the assistance/magnifying to work better for things off centre.
Good info. Does the Tenpa obstruct the articulated screen in waist level mode? May have to check out the Tenpa.
Thanks,
barondla
12-09-2019, 11:01 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes with my glasses sometimes I don't see the corners of the frame well, the mod that I did actually means the lens isn't as recessed in the eye cup which helps. But I have to really strain to see the LCD data clearly. That is part of the reason why I wasn't in the mood to spend another 35 dollars in 2 years. It really helps though with shallow depth of field lenses though.

12-09-2019, 03:00 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Good info. Does the Tenpa obstruct the articulated screen in waist level mode? May have to check out the Tenpa.
Thanks,
barondla
The issue with Tenpa is price, youch..

QuoteOriginally posted by y0chang Quote
Yes with my glasses sometimes I don't see the corners of the frame well, the mod that I did actually means the lens isn't as recessed in the eye cup which helps. But I have to really strain to see the LCD data clearly. That is part of the reason why I wasn't in the mood to spend another 35 dollars in 2 years. It really helps though with shallow depth of field lenses though.
Yeah ok, might have to try that, I actually have my O-ME53 in a box, I think I tried putting on my KP and found it just give less clarity across the entire frame than with nothing so I took it off. I will have to retest again.

FWIW. my test went something like this;

Set up the camera on a tripod, have a flat target somewhere in the distance off centre slightly (so that you don't get the spot focus af point confirmation), I used/hung one of my kids drawings up for example, taped to a coat hanger, so that there was scenery behind it and not stuck on a wall (so like it was dangling in the air). In camera I took off all AF points and grid lines, made the screen look as blank as possible (when looking through the OVF). I then took 10 shots in quick succession with a wide aperture, f2 with the FA77 for example, with after each shot dialling the focus ring back so that things were blurry and I would have to refocus properly again each time. I timed how long it took me to take the 10 shots and then I went through the images and marked how many I got perfect focus with (1), almost perfect (2), ok (3), poor (4) and awful (5), so like a grade of 1-5). The Tenpa gave me something like a 7/10 perfect focus shots, without Tenpa it was more like 3-4 perfect shots, so I concluded it was definitely assisting. My timing of taking the 10 shots was also slightly quicker.