Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2019, 01:19 PM   #1
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 715
pentax magnifying eyecup o-me53

I have a o-me53 eyecup but the rubber part of the eyecup is deteriorating and tearing. Is there any way to replace the rubber part of the cup without paying for a entire new $33 dollar eyecup?

10-21-2019, 02:17 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North-East of England
Posts: 16,965
QuoteOriginally posted by y0chang Quote
I have a o-me53 eyecup but the rubber part of the eyecup is deteriorating and tearing. Is there any way to replace the rubber part of the cup without paying for a entire new $33 dollar eyecup?
Not that I can think of.

Whilst I applaud your desire to mend rather than replace, at $33 it's pretty much a disposable item by today's standards. I guess you could try using Sugru, but by the time you've bought some you've half paid for a new O-ME53. Best just to bite the bullet and get a new one, IMHO.

The question remains, how did your O-ME53 get to this stage? I have one fitted to most of my cameras, and each looks nearly as good as they day I fitted it. I assume yours has had an awful lot of use... in which case, it seems like $33 well spent

Last edited by BigMackCam; 10-21-2019 at 02:53 PM.
10-21-2019, 02:45 PM   #3
Moderator
Not a Number's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 8,819
I tore the eyecup on my K10D. Not reading the manual I thought it was just a snap-on rubber cup like the ones on the MZ/ZX cameras. The rubber piece was not sold separately and a replacement (OEM) eyecup was about 20-30 USD. It wasn't torn so badly that I could not live with it as is. Now I can buy 3rd party replacements for around 6 USD which reviewers say are practically indistinguishable from the original. I doubt though you'll be seeing any 3rd party copies of the O-ME53 anytime soon.
10-21-2019, 03:01 PM   #4
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 715
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Not that I can think of.

Whilst I applaud your desire to mend rather than replace, at $33 it's pretty much a disposable item by today's standards. I guess you could try using Sugru, but by the time you've bought some you've half paid for a new O-ME53. Best just to bite the bullet and get a new one, IMHO.

The question remains, how did your O-ME53 get to this stage? I have one fitted to most of my cameras, and each looks nearly as good as they day I fitted it. I assume yours has had an awful lot of use... in which case, it seems like $33 well spent
I bought it in 2017 which isn't that long ago. I do take it hiking but it's a bit disappointing

10-21-2019, 03:10 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North-East of England
Posts: 16,965
QuoteOriginally posted by y0chang Quote
I bought it in 2017 which isn't that long ago. I do take it hiking but it's a bit disappointing
I've had my first O-ME53 on my K-3 since early-to-mid 2015 (so far as I can recall - it may have been a little earlier). I'm not a heavy user, but fairly regular, and I've noticed no wear on mine, nor any of those fitted on my other bodies. The rubber is less flexible because it's protecting a hard surrounding, whereas the rubber on the standard OVF eyepiece is more pliable (it's more of a cushion, really). Maybe that's why the O-ME53 doesn't hold up quite as well under harsher use?

Still... a couple of years for $33... less than five cents a day, or a buck forty a month... it doesn't sound like a bad deal, exactly

At least it's easy and cheap enough to replace

Last edited by BigMackCam; 10-21-2019 at 03:15 PM.
10-21-2019, 09:07 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2016
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,652
I have an eyecup that is torn. I assume that it might have caught on something when I pulled the camera out of my bag.
10-22-2019, 06:47 AM   #7
Pentaxian
builttospill's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Utah, Idaho
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,078
Hopefully you have better luck with your next one. After buying a Katzeye screen for my K10D and not liking it, I bought the O-ME53 (at least ten years ago) and it still looks brand new. I use my camera every day.

10-22-2019, 08:05 AM   #8
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Koblenz
Posts: 116
Hello.
I have two of this with broken rubber but like to use than for makro and manuell fokusing.

On the K1 I find than not so good, but on the apsc's I find it very helpfull.
But I dont like the fast mist inside, when I'm sweat - there is no lookthrou for long and I must wait it dries.

Best regards,
Birk
10-22-2019, 08:47 AM   #9
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
csa's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Montana mountains
Posts: 9,942
There's another thread here, that you might be interested in:K3 Eye cup replacement - PentaxForums.com
10-22-2019, 08:50 AM - 1 Like   #10
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
csa's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Montana mountains
Posts: 9,942
As I mentioned in the linked thread above; I've never had a problem with the eyecup. Still looks as good as new, and I use my camera just about every day, and it's pulled in/out of a holster bag. So, I'm not babying it; and it's held up beautifully.
10-26-2019, 05:46 PM - 3 Likes   #11
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 715
Original Poster
I bought a cheap replacement eyecup on Amazon, amazon.com : JJC EP-FR Eyecup for PENTAX Camera DSLR K30 K5II K500 K50 K-S2 Replace Pentax FR : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&


and replaced the rubber part with the new. Two holes didn't align but that was quick work with an x-acto knife. Just don't be like me and let the second element fall out without noting the orientation (concave side towards the camera btw)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Phone 2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Phone 2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Phone 2  Photo 
10-26-2019, 07:22 PM - 1 Like   #12
Moderator
Not a Number's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 8,819
Excellent, glad you found an economical solution.
10-27-2019, 12:26 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North-East of England
Posts: 16,965
QuoteOriginally posted by y0chang Quote
I bought a cheap replacement eyecup on Amazon, amazon.com : JJC EP-FR Eyecup for PENTAX Camera DSLR K30 K5II K500 K50 K-S2 Replace Pentax FR : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&


and replaced the rubber part with the new. Two holes didn't align but that was quick work with an x-acto knife. Just don't be like me and let the second element fall out without noting the orientation (concave side towards the camera btw)
Nice work! I'm sure this could be useful to anyone else who runs into the same problem. Thanks for posting your solution
10-27-2019, 08:30 AM   #14
Forum Member




Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Creston,B.C.
Posts: 73
Good to know!
10-27-2019, 06:18 PM   #15
Pentaxian
BruceBanner's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 5,201
FYI I own the Tenpa 1.22 and ome53, I much prefer the Tenpa, but I think its quite highly priced now... glad you found a fix tho.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
eyecup, o-me53, pentax magnifying eyecup, rubber, tripod
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax Magnifying Eyecup O-ME53 $22.18 & FREE Shipping from Japan TropicalMonkey Pentax Price Watch 2 01-26-2016 05:45 AM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax Magnifying Eyecup 0-ME53 $20 ivoire Sold Items 3 01-11-2013 05:46 PM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax O-ME53 Magnifying Eyecup photomission Sold Items 3 12-12-2012 06:29 AM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax magnifying eyecup 0-me53 woogi4u Sold Items 3 12-08-2011 10:10 AM
For Sale - Sold: FS: Pentax Magnifying Eyecup O-ME53 frank Sold Items 7 04-06-2008 01:03 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:20 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top